Rabbit based food

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aside from Instinct and Merrick, does anyone know of any other brands of rabbit based cat food? Preferably one that is chunks or tidbits? I'd love to find something for Miss Fancy Dancy that is a bit more budget friendly, or at least that I can use as variety so she doesn't get totally bored. Right now I alternate the Instinct in the little white tubs and the Merrick Backcountry. She can't have any poultry, and I'd prefer without fish oil (not mandatory but preferred) because her sister Delilah, aka Miss Chunkybutt, has occasionally tried to get into her food (despite the microchip feeder - Delilah can't tolerate fish products). I've tried the Stella and Chewy freeze dried. She'll occasionally eat one as a treat, but put them in her bowl and wet them as instructed, forget about it.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I and Love and You has one, but it's pate. Rawz and Koha also have rabbit, but those are probably also pate, and also probably more pricey than what you are already paying. Otherwise, I'm not sure. Of course, it depends on what country you are located in too.

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In addition to the pates, Koha also makes shredded duck and shredded rabbit.

So far I’ve only been able to find the shredded ones in foil pouches instead of cans, but I can verify the Koha rabbit still exists, I just bought some last week.

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Barks n’ Rec also sells single cans/packets/etc. - that’s how I got the Koha shredded duck and shredded rabbit. They don’t have their whole inventory on the website, so if you want something not listed you can call and see if they have it. Huge variety of Koha and Tiki Cat, but no Mouser and I don’t remember if they had Rawz or not (I had already ordered that from Incredible Pets).

Last edited:

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There may also be stores near you that carry something - here are store locator links for:
  • Koha (rabbit or duck as shreds or pates)
  • Mouser (brush hunter = rabbit + mouse)
  • Instinct (pates. be careful to get the limited ingredient rabbit, they also make a different food with rabbit that’s not limited ingredient)
  • Ziwi Peak (they have a rabbit & lamb canned food, and also a venison one)
  • Tiki Cat (no rabbit, but it’s the only limited ingredient canned brand I’ve found so far that my cat will eat. They have some unusual fish species that might work as novel proteins.)
  • First Mate (no rabbit, but they make a duck dry food that my cat would eat even when he wouldn’t eat *anything* else)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks all.

Fancy's problem is whenever she has poultry, her poo is soft and smells so foul that your nose hairs burn plus "room clearing flatulence". I'm talking "open all the windows in the apartment and leave" type of smell. Once we got her on rabbit that pretty much went away, though the vet is concerned at the way she has "barbered" the fur on one leg. She's on an allergy med but it doesn't seem to help on that. I almost wonder if it's a nervous habit she developed in her previous home.

It would probably be easier to put her on fish, but I don't want to cross contaminate with Delilah, who if given the chance would probably eat it just because it's not hers. Delilah gets diarrhea from any fish, including fish oil.