RABBIES VACCINE KILLED MY KITTY

nansea59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This is Noel Rochelle.  She was 14.  We adopted her at 4 months.  She survived death from the jowls of a coyote.  She survived a severe URI (upper respiratory infection.)  Last week we received that License Renewal in the mail that required a rabbies vaccine certificate.  We recently moved.  By the word of mouth of a few people, we took her to LITTLE PAWS in Canyon Country, CA on 12/6/16.  Dr. John weighed her, took her temp, examined her, did a topical organ exam, checked her teeth (the only 8 she had left), said her gums were a perfect pink color and gave her a good bill of health.  And then she was vaccinated.  3 days later she began to show signs of lethargy and vomiting.  She stopped eating and drinking.  12/15/16 we took her back to Dr. John.  After a few tests he came back and said she was CRITICAL. He said she was internally bleeding.   It was nearing 5:00 p.m., closing time.  He said they couldn't help her there and referred us to another vet.  We rushed her over.  An xray was taken.  The vet said everything looked normal.  We could see her heart, kidneys, stomach, intestines.  There were no blockages and if she was internally bleeding it was probably caused by her lacking immune system ---something had been administered that her system could not handle. IT WAS THE RABBIES VACCINE!

I wished I wasn't so trusting ...  

I learned that senior cats, as they age, their immune systems ---like people, become compromised.  Most can't handle the savage rabbies vaccine.  WE DO NOT HAVE TO VACCINATE OUR PETS.  If our pets are strictly indoor cats, they never have to be vaccinated.  When you get those notices from the County, you OPT OUT and still get their required licenses.  But especially older, senior cats, YOU OPT OUT. 

This vet should have know this information.  This vet should have warned us of her senior immune system.  This vet should be up on animal laws, especially vaccinations.  That is the #1 thing they do for our pets. 

I am sad, angry, upset... but the up side is that I learned something from this, unfortunately through the death of my beloved Noel. Her and I want to pass it on to you so it DOESN'T happen to you.  First, be sure your vet is knowledgeable, not only on how to cut open animals, spay or neuter, but for the simplest of procedures, a vaccine. 

I also wished I would have YELPED this vet before going there.  Sure, they have good reviews, but even thoughs have complaints.  You can search yourself.  I understand everyone one (including doctors, vets, etc.,) have to start somewhere, but vaccines to pets is basic 101. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this and sharing in my loss.  God Bless you and all your furry kids.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your adverse experience at the new vet.  My sincere sympathies and deepest regrets go out to you.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so deeply sorry. I have felt all along that Kitten's health started to deteriorate after the crap vet in my town gave her the antiquated vaccine with an adjuvant in it despite being told it was purevax. She later finished the job by giving her a severe overdose of medication.

Thank you for making people aware of what happened to you.

This is my FB page you are welcome to share your story there.

https://www.facebook.com/My-Cat-Is-Not-A-Tablelamp-278890729115468/  

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. Can you share with us what vaccine she was given exactly? Was it the Purevax version or the version with the adjuvant? Neither should cause such a reaction, of course. The problem with the adjuvant in cats is Vaccine-associated-sarcoma and not this kind of reaction that you described.

Vaccines don't really contain anything that can cause internal bleeding, so I wonder if maybe she contracted some form of infection while visiting the clinic to get her shot? Another option is that maybe there was something wrong with that particular batch/vial possibly due to the way it was stored. Do you have the specific vaccine type/name and serial number? I think it's important to report this to the manufacturer so that they can check the batch.

Either way, I think it was wrong of the vet to send you to another clinic when your cat's condition was critical. They should have stayed and taken care of her. 

Again, I am truly sorry for your loss and for everything that you went through. 

veggietreegirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry for your loss. I've never had any bad experiences at Little Paws myself, although I use TAGS for vaccines. Dr. John helped my dog out when she was ill. Sorry you went through this. It's never easy to lose a fur baby.

Edit: Sorry for the double post I'm having weird comp. issues and it's not letting me delete the extra.

Last edited:

veggietreegirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry for your loss. I've never had any bad experiences at Little Paws myself, although I use TAGS for vaccines. Dr. John helped my dog out when she was ill. Sorry you went through this. It's never easy to lose a fur baby.

snowpawprint

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss

I know how hard it is but my deepest sympathy is with you...