R I P Great Great Grandma - Coyote casualty

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great Great Grandma was one of my six and featured here regularly.

She was so lovable. I adopted her from the shelter because she greeted me enthusiastically, with much rubbing against the bars of the cage they had her in.

How could I say no? Back in 2013, she was 9+ years old, so in in 2020 she was 16+. No young 'un.

And the years were showing. She was suffering kidney failure drinking lots and lots of water, like four times what the younger kitties did. But she was spry and sweet; she was first to lodge in visitors' laps, and command a fondle. Lately, she'd had problems with her thyroid and gotten all bony, and the vets prescribed some meds to fatten her up a bit. That was a month ago. Yesterday, went in for followup, and hooray, she'd gained 9 ounces! From a previous weight of 5.2 pounds, that was a good bit. Her meds were working; the vets and I were thrilled. We didn't dance in the parking lot, mostly because there wasn't enough room.

But, Grandma liked to slip out of the house. Most of the time, I was able to catch her and bring her back in. Last night, though, she and another kitty slipped out and, apparently stayed out all night. It had happened before, but . . .

I went looking this morning, and she was nowhere to be found. Usually she'd come running when I shook the cat food bag after an all-nighter. Not this time. The other cat, Tar Baby, came running home.

Long story short, I found Great Great Grandma's hind leg in the yard this morning. No mistake. Mystery solved. Closure (schmosure).

R I P Great Great Grandma.

PS the vets were nice enough to give me a credit on the meds I'd bought the day before, when I called to cancel the appointment I'd set for the end of May.

The other kitty was Tar Baby, and she hasn't been her usual brassy self.

Love to you all.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh God I am so very sorry for your loss of Great Great Grandma. She sounds so very sweet.
Hugs to you and yours. My Vincie girl is at the Bridge and will take her under her wing along
with our other babies who are there.

Love,
Mia :hugs:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please accept my condolences, I know how heartbreaking and sudden this was, and how devastating to your soul. You gave her what she wanted most in life, a home and someone to love, she rests in peace.
It is a great honor to leave behind someone who remembers and loves you. These precious memories will bring you comfort in time, and time is the only thing that helps with the sorrow that cuts so deeply right now. Try not to dwell on her end, but instead celebrate what she shared with you all these years. Just as you would want for her if you were the first to go, so she wants for you, to seek out happiness and wonder in the life we are given. She would never want to bring sadness into your life.
She shared your life's journey for a while, and although the new path she follows takes her away, it will forever parallel you own. Her 'essesnce' is entertwined with your own soul, forever together in spirit. She lives on through you now, forever as close as your thoughts and prayers. let her know that her own love will be added on to, that you will nurture it and allow it to grow and continue blooming with the new loves that are in your future.
My heart goes out to you. It is so hard to get through something like this. But you have many friends here to lean on and who will share your pain because so many of us have stood in your shoes. To share a burden is to lessen it, please do not hesitate to use our shoulders. The bond you have with that sweet girl can never be taken from you, always remember, "death cannot take that which never dies". Take care of yourself and let those who remain in your care help you with your sorrow, they are hurting too and need you......RIP dear Great, Great Grandma. You will be dearly missed, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss.
Sometimes the Nature reminds us who is the Master. In the wild, Creatures live their life on as-it-is basis.
Human no longer accept that, we want to take control over Nature.
Cats offer us their Love, that is to remember. Love is the Master.

Have a nice flight, Great Grandma the Cat!

southernbama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great Great Grandma was one of my six and featured here regularly.

She was so lovable. I adopted her from the shelter because she greeted me enthusiastically, with much rubbing against the bars of the cage they had her in.

How could I say no? Back in 2013, she was 9+ years old, so in in 2020 she was 16+. No young 'un.

And the years were showing. She was suffering kidney failure drinking lots and lots of water, like four times what the younger kitties did. But she was spry and sweet; she was first to lodge in visitors' laps, and command a fondle. Lately, she'd had problems with her thyroid and gotten all bony, and the vets prescribed some meds to fatten her up a bit. That was a month ago. Yesterday, went in for followup, and hooray, she'd gained 9 ounces! From a previous weight of 5.2 pounds, that was a good bit. Her meds were working; the vets and I were thrilled. We didn't dance in the parking lot, mostly because there wasn't enough room.

But, Grandma liked to slip out of the house. Most of the time, I was able to catch her and bring her back in. Last night, though, she and another kitty slipped out and, apparently stayed out all night. It had happened before, but . . .

I went looking this morning, and she was nowhere to be found. Usually she'd come running when I shook the cat food bag after an all-nighter. Not this time. The other cat, Tar Baby, came running home.

Long story short, I found Great Great Grandma's hind leg in the yard this morning. No mistake. Mystery solved. Closure (schmosure).

PS the vets were nice enough to give me a credit on the meds I'd bought the day before, when I called to cancel the appointment I'd set for the end of May.

The other kitty was Tar Baby, and she hasn't been her usual brassy self.

Love to you all.
I am so sorry. My mom lost her cat a year ago November to a coyote. She was about 14 years old. They live in the woods and she let her outside in the morning for a bit. She never found her remains but found where one of the coyotes done his business. It was so hard not being able to bury her at least. Coyotes are really bad around my area.

Attachments

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry you lost the old girl. You gave that grand old lady years and years of life she likely would never of had without your caring. Good on you for being so kind!... I'll bet ya she went down with one hell of a fight. There are probably several scratched up coyotes laying around licking their wounds today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your support!

Here's one of my favorite pictures of Great Great Grandma, taken as she sat on her printer, making clear her interest in what I was eating. She loved to beg for food. Bacon was a big favorite. She also LOVED that Yoshinoya New England Clam Chowder (at least as much as I do).

1588093746509.png

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What a terrible way to lose a pet, what a terrible way to have your wonderful and loving cat taken away from you.

What breaks my heart is that you were caring for her a lot and the results from what you were doing for her were showing, and this is so unfair, at least in my heart this feels unfair.
I always try to put myself in other people's shoes when these things happen, I think of and feel their joy for the good outcomes from a loving care of their pets, the efforts being rewarded, the hopes for a better future. And all of this gets destroyed, dashed, crushed in a blink of an eye.
And while I'm other people's shoes I think that if something like this happened to me I would burst from pain and desperation.

I hope you stay strong and remember your Great Grandma as sweet and beautiful as she was.

Hugs to you and a kiss to your kitty at the Rainbow Bridge.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this! My heart is absolutely broken for you. To lose a cat and find them that way must have been traumatic and I wish I had more than words for you =( I'm just so sorry. She was a beautiful cat.