Quirky Cats

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What are your cat's quirks? Honeybunny has one that confounds me more each time it happens.

You know how you boop a cats nose-just touch their nose for a sec and say "boop!" Okay... well i got HB and did it a few times, she didnt mind... so after a bit i started holding my finger on her nose for a couple seconds-she just sat there. A cpl months go by, i hold it there almost 10 seconds-she doesnt move. Im not holding her, not restricting her, she can move her head or turn snd walk away anytime but she doesnt, she just sits there being booped! Our record is 19 seconds. Count out loud to 19 and imagine your cat just sitting there with your finger on her nose. Its soo strange. Im trying to get it on vid and will upload when i do, but its always a random spur of the moment thing-oh lets do a superboop!

Yeah, i have too much time on my hands. I just dont get it tho-why would she just sit there so long? Anyone care to see how long their cat allows a nose-boop to be? If you do, let me know how long, If not, tell me about your cats' quirky behaviours :)

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee will fetch his toy mouse to me and put it beside me, bending his head down for a kiss as a 'reward' for giving me a 'trophy'. He loves to play fetch with his toy mice, so we say he's more of a dog than a cat, haha.

Fudge also likes me to play with his paws, making him do a cycling motion with them.

Toffee likes to guard things like a dog, too, haha.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's got to be a record. I can get an occasional boop in with Bodhi if I'm really quick about it. If I try and do it again he ducks his head grabs my hand.

If he wants something while on on my computer he jumps up on the arm of my recliner and stares at me. I'll say ok dude I just have to finish this email or whatever it is I'm doing... I'll be with you in a second and I continue looking at the tv and concentrate on what I'm trying to finish. If it takes more than a minute or two he gets all upset and gets in front of my face and tilts his head back and forth and gets this look like he's just outraged that I'm not immediately getting up to figure out what he needs. lol

output_jva17h.gif

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Felix is very vocal and is notorious for holding a conversation with almost anyone. Not only does he speak, he also has this thing he does when he greets people. Equivalent to this:

That head motion accompanied by a low pitch meow more in the throat. It sounds like he's saying, "What's up?"

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that liked to play "Ups-a-kitty". She was an orphaned kitten, so she was a bit odd, and I was definitely her human. I was holding her one day, and in a bit of silliness, I held her facing me with one hand under her chest and the other under her bottom, and I asked in a sing-song voice if she wanted to play upsakitty and gave her a small gentle bounce. Cue intense purring and limpness.

I found this adorable, though I also freaked a bit and worried I'd actually scared her out and made her so upset she was distress purring, because sometimes I'm a worrier, but I ended up trying it a few other times, and she seemed to like it? So I started trying giving her a slightly bigger bounce, and always using the same sing-song tone when I did, and calling it upsakitty.....she seemed to like it?

Eventually, I looked at her one day when she was walking on the floor and asked if she wanted to play upsakitty....she walked over and started purring, looking expectant. So I picked her up with that same two-handed hold and tossed her lightly up and caught her, sort of like you do with little kids sometimes? Limp, purring cat that eventually looked at me and meowed expectantly. So I sing-songed Upsakitty! and tossed and caught her again. Limp purry cat. Ended up being a thing we did. I'd always ask her before I tossed her if she wanted to play upsakitty, and if she relaxed, I'd toss and catch her, if she'd tense, I'd cuddle her instead. Got to the point I could get a good foot of air between my hands and her on a really good toss, and she'd just trust me to catch her and purr her head off.

Family thought I was nuts. ....Dad tried it once, and got a nice set of scratches for his trouble before she ran straight to me and let ME toss and catch her. Adorable little brat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that liked to play "Ups-a-kitty". She was an orphaned kitten, so she was a bit odd, and I was definitely her human. I was holding her one day, and in a bit of silliness, I held her facing me with one hand under her chest and the other under her bottom, and I asked in a sing-song voice if she wanted to play upsakitty and gave her a small gentle bounce. Cue intense purring and limpness.

I found this adorable, though I also freaked a bit and worried I'd actually scared her out and made her so upset she was distress purring, because sometimes I'm a worrier, but I ended up trying it a few other times, and she seemed to like it? So I started trying giving her a slightly bigger bounce, and always using the same sing-song tone when I did, and calling it upsakitty.....she seemed to like it?

Eventually, I looked at her one day when she was walking on the floor and asked if she wanted to play upsakitty....she walked over and started purring, looking expectant. So I picked her up with that same two-handed hold and tossed her lightly up and caught her, sort of like you do with little kids sometimes? Limp, purring cat that eventually looked at me and meowed expectantly. So I sing-songed Upsakitty! and tossed and caught her again. Limp purry cat. Ended up being a thing we did. I'd always ask her before I tossed her if she wanted to play upsakitty, and if she relaxed, I'd toss and catch her, if she'd tense, I'd cuddle her instead. Got to the point I could get a good foot of air between my hands and her on a really good toss, and she'd just trust me to catch her and purr her head off.

Family thought I was nuts. ....Dad tried it once, and got a nice set of scratches for his trouble before she ran straight to me and let ME toss and catch her. Adorable little brat.
Thats adorable, i love it. Ups-a-kitty! :p:hearthrob:

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's got to be a record. I can get an occasional boop in with Bodhi if I'm really quick about it. If I try and do it again he ducks his head grabs my hand.

If he wants something while on on my computer he jumps up on the arm of my recliner and stares at me. I'll say ok dude I just have to finish this email or whatever it is I'm doing... I'll be with you in a second and I continue looking at the tv and concentrate on what I'm trying to finish. If it takes more than a minute or two he gets all upset and gets in front of my face and tilts his head back and forth and gets this look like he's just outraged that I'm not immediately getting up to figure out what he needs. lol

View attachment 269926
Aww, i couldnt resist that face :)

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, that’s a long boop!

I don’t think our cats have any unique quirkiness more than your average feline - Olive is a huge cuddle bug and will start purring and curl up if I give her a hug - and I mean full on arms around her whole body and face buried in her fur hug.

Gohan is by far the most serious cat I’ve ever known. Nothing is done with wild abandon, every move and meow are properly timed and carefully thought through before action is taken.

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Heh, i've known serious cats before. They definitely seem like theyre always calculating probabilities.

It is a long boop, isnt it? She just sits there and does nothing or sometimes even actively seems to push her nose against my fingertip. Idk. I guess she just likes boops? Lol.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
That is adorable! What a way to bond with your kitty. :)

If I do that to my Bourbon I'd end up with a hard swat on my face.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never nose booped any of our cats so I thought I would try it. Of our 8, 4 of them immediately began rubbing their face against my finger. The other 4 pulled their head back and gave a puzzled look. So no successful nose boops here.
Buddy likes to lay on me at night and quite often will lay on my chest with his nose touching my nose. I've never timed it, but it goes on a long time. I am usually asleep before he moves from that position. (I suspect he doesn't move until I start snoring:p)

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother’s girlfriend’s cat Sox will do this to him while he is reading. I guess he will put his head right up to the chin of anyone sitting still for more than a minute.