Quilting

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does any one else like to quilt? Not too long ago I finally learned how and I am addicted!! I love it!! If you like it, what type of things have you made or lke to make? Right now I am working on a nice quilt for a wall hanging that I would like to hang in my hall way.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I LOVE quilting.I do it in my spare time.That is what I gift my neices and nephews for their 5th b-day.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've done some quilting on smaller a scale, never had room for a full blanket - only pillows and a couple of throws. I'm not quite sure if I can sew that much anymore. My wrists and hands get very very sore and some of my knuckles swell just from trying to draw.

I hope that in the future, when I have the space, that I'm able to work on one. My... grandmother in law?
makes lovely quilts. I recently donated a bunch of old jeans to her since she's making a jean quilt.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I knew how! I crochet, but that's about it. I would LOVE to learn. My granny bought me a sewing machine that does all sorts of fancy stuff like sew flowers and cats
. I've done a decent amount of sewing, but not a quilt yet!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wesley's Mom

Wow, that is so cool! Looks hard!!!
I started it for a reward for myself for losing weight.

I haven't even finished the first block, and the second one has shipped.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love to quilt, just don't have time or space at the moment. Oh...my MIL was a quilter, and when she passed away, I inherited her quilt frames AND her fabric stash!!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was taught to quilt by my grandmother and great aunt. I have been quilting since I was 10 years old and own about 12 quilts. I have been putting off some quilting because I am very into cross stitching as of late but I think I might pick up the quilting again.
That Cat quilt is inspireing.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Here's a quilt I made for another member here:

And here's just a little colorwash quilt I made:

Aww there lovely, i would love to be able to do that, the only thing i can do is cross stitch lol and that takes me long enough to do

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by XxtashaxX

Aww there lovely, i would love to be able to do that, the only thing i can do is cross stitch lol and that takes me long enough to do
Thank you! I cross stitch too, and I've got SOOO many UFOs going it's disgusting. I think I'm going to make a resolution to not buy or order ANY more cross stitch patterns until I finish SOMETHING.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to quilt! Well...actually, I love to do the piecing...I hate finishing the quilt! I, too, have UFOs in the basement. I have so many quilt tops, it's almost embarassing! My friend has a quilt shop outside of Lansing, and I've given quilting classes there. I've got a couple of photo albums of quilts that I've made, but I haven't scanned any pictures into the computer. The only one that I can show you is one that I made for my cousin's wedding. I usually use quiet, subdued colors and patterns, so this was really 'out of the box' for me!

This is a queen size "Lover's Knot" quilt. It was so huge that I had to lay it out in my backyard to take a picture of it!

Here's a close up of the colors and patterns of the "knots".

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These are such beautiful quilts! But that large kitty quilt that's coming in blocks DOES look difficult!

I started to knit a while back, and I actually finished a lovely scarf for Gary - but I can't follow patterns because I don't know how to adjust and I make the stitches too tight, so stuff comes out too small.

But my mom quilts. When my dad retired, they moved from Chicago to GA, and they had an addition put onto the house - specifically so my mom could have a quilt room!

Here's some of her stuff that was finished or in-progress when Gary and I visited a couple years ago - she does mostly wall hangings, and loves to work with tetures now (Sorry the lighting is so bad):

That's my mom - she'd just had small surgery on her nose. And this isn't even nearly her best stuff.

Here's part of one she gave us - it's hanging behind the fish tank in our old house:

You can see the piecework in these pics, but not the actual quilting part. She's really fabulous and makes the teeniest most even stitching when she does it by hand. But even the stuff she does on the sewing machine is amazing. (Proud of my mom - can you tell?
)

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for showing the pictures you guys!! They're great!! Once I am done with mine, maybe I will post a photo if I remember. It will be a little while. I only do it when I have the time. Once I finish one quilt, I jump right onto the next one.

Yes, I have also done some knitting. I was really into it before I got married. I have made a whole lot of stuff. But then someone showed me how to quilt so I started doing that instead!

I have never tried cross stitching though, I hear it's a lot of fun. I love crafty things, so I am sure I would like it!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never learned to sew but am entralled by the quilts I have seen. They are so beautiful! I used to cross-stitch all the time but stopped when I started college full-time. Now that I am done and have moved, I hope to get back into it. I have heard there are new DMC colors out so I just gotta get those