Quick question

fostermomma2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was asked to foster a 6 hr old kitten on Tuesday evening. Apparently there was an outside cat that was giving birth and some kids scared her, so she left the baby. Umbilical cord/placenta still atttached. They left it outside for 6 hours before contacting a rescue because momma didn’t come back. That rescue contacted me, and we rushed to get the baby. We snipped the umbilical cord and did an initial evaluation. We got the kitten warmed and it suckled really well during its first feeding. It has continued to eat and potty (when stimulated) good. Urine color and stool color/texture are exactly what we’d want. My question tho, how often do I feed the kitten as it continues to thrive? Right now I am doing a feeding every 2 hours around the clock. It’s been a few years since I’ve taken in a neonatal, and just want to be sure I am doing everything right for this precious little girl ❤

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You are doing everything right so far!

Keeping her warm, feeding every 2 hours, weighing daily and keeping a log, plus pottying are the main areas. She’ll think you’re her mom in no time flat!

Are you using Miracle nipples or just a syringe? Which powdered formula? How much is she taking at meals? What is her birth weight?

I feel sorry for that poor mama cat giving birth outside and those children frightening her. Poor thing.

Thank you for stepping up to take on this exhausting task!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostermomma2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!! I don’t know her birth weight, because my sister had my scale for some fosters she had a few months ago. I got it back today and she is 104 grams. I am using a miracle nipple with her and PetAg kitten formula. The bottle I was using doesn’t have the breakdown of how much she eats per feeding, so I will switch to one that does, but after eat feeding her belly is nice and round and soft. She doesn’t seem bloated or anything. I also burp her in the middle and at the end of each feeding.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Orphans are usually much easier to save than prematures or sick weak kittens...

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may also suggest that if you're using powdered formula to substitute the water with goats milk. You can buy pasteurized (raw is best though) at most grocery stores.