Quick Question About Beef

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The salmonella article is exactly why I just can't do the raw food. Even Rad Cat, I cooked it a bit. I don't offer it any more, but when I used the freeze dried raw, I saw that as not really raw. When I rehydrated it with warm water it smelled cooked. Anyway, Rad Cat wasn't the only thing in the rotation. I fixed it for their 3rd meal bed snack. I'm not sure I believe that cooking destroys the nutrients in the meat but I'm not sure if Rad Cat uses some sort of supplemental mix that they add which might be heat sensitive. In any case, it's not a very economical choice because it's impossible to scoop out a meal's worth out of the frozen brick, so then you have to thaw it all and then it's like you have a day to use it.
If you're going to cook Rad Cat then there's no point in purchasing it, as you might as well just purchase cooked canned food. It is a pretty expensive choice for sure, but it is one of the higher quality brands for commercial raw. I thaw the container for a few hours in the fridge until it's just soft enough to scoop (not completely thawed) and then I portion it into smaller containers and freeze the portions for later.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you're going to cook Rad Cat then there's no point in purchasing it, as you might as well just purchase cooked canned food. It is a pretty expensive choice for sure, but it is one of the higher quality brands for commercial raw. I thaw the container for a few hours in the fridge until it's just soft enough to scoop (not completely thawed) and then I portion it into smaller containers and freeze the portions for later.
okay. whatever

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put Gracie aside minced (ground) beef when I cook it. I cook it first then set hers aside prior to me adding onions, tomatoes etc . I made the mistake when I first got her (pre being on this site and having ever had a cat ) of adding gravy to her chicken once as thought it was a bit dull! £40 at the vets and an unwell Gracie told me not to give cats spices - ever !! Lol

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put Gracie aside minced (ground) beef when I cook it. I cook it first then set hers aside prior to me adding onions, tomatoes etc . I made the mistake when I first got her (pre being on this site and having ever had a cat ) of adding gravy to her chicken once as thought it was a bit dull! £40 at the vets and an unwell Gracie told me not to give cats spices - ever !! Lol
Do you purchase ground beef from the supermarket? I would be weary of feeding that beef raw just because you don't know about the quality of those ground meats.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I purchase from supermarket or butchers however always cook it prior to feeding her. Someone suggested I feed it to her raw once however she wouldn’t touch it.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I purchase from supermarket or butchers however always cook it prior to feeding her. Someone suggested I feed it to her raw once however she wouldn’t touch it.
Ah okay, I think you’re doing the right thing by cooking it. I wouldn’t feed supermarket ground beef raw.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had an interesting conversation with a couple people who were raised in African and Middle Eastern countries. They said that they have been feeding raw to cats and dogs for ages and that is completely normal to just give pets the raw food that they are cooking for themselves. It’s also considered healthy in these cultures and these aren’t just strays getting scraps but household animals that roam outside and also come back home for food. The fact that they roam outside probably means that they are getting a balanced diet because they are also hunting prey.. but.. just some food for thought!
Yes, this is very common and also common among people in industrialized nations who are not of the mainstream culture or lifestyle. But the food supply here in the US, and in other places such as PRC, is questionable at best in terms of being pure/free of contaminants. So I would be very careful. Cooking does destroy a lot of bad stuff. No raw here.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't hesitate in giving my cats raw white meat but i'm not so quite sure about red meat like beef. I only give them small pieces of red meat because in nature they don't hunt down animals with red meat. So i worry the red meat might not be as good for them in larger amounts.

I got into raw because one of my cats gets diarrhea on dry and canned. Raw is the only thing keeping him solid. Medical issues have been ruled out through many vet visits.