Quick Heat Question

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update: (a friend came to ck it out and it went on!Hopefully it will hold us over til repair guy comes tomorrow!)
our a/c broke so would it be more stressful on Molly to just leave her in the house with fans or take her with us to my in laws house for s night. Molly prolly will be stressed changing her surroundings. The temp will probably be just under 90. I may stay with her if we don’t take her.

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It would be stressful either way. I would take her, but keep her confined to the room you're sleeping in even if you're not in it.

• Purraise
Reactions: mnm

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
She would be less stressed out by staying at home.

Hugospal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think as long as you have air circulating and it's not extremely hot. Cats are descended from desert animals but I still wouldn't want to leave my cat with temps climbing into the mid-high 90's. Can you get maybe a cheaper window AC unit and keep her in the same room while you're gone?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think as long as you have air circulating and it's not extremely hot. Cats are descended from desert animals but I still wouldn't want to leave my cat with temps climbing into the mid-high 90's. Can you get maybe a cheaper window AC unit and keep her in the same room while you're gone?
Trust me if we don’t take her I’ll be staying here with her and yes we’ll have fans.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mnm mnm - Fans do nothing to lower the air temperature, and cats dissipate heat by transpiration only through their noses and paw pads. Fans make warm spaces tolerable for Humans because of the cooling effect of evaporation.

You're in Phoenix, where the temperature is currently 110ºF with an overnight low of 90ºF. Personal opinion: without a room air conditioner, Molly is at much greater risk than she would be with a simple change of environment for the night, since you'll still be with her in either event.

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! It kicked on when a friend was checking it out so we will stay here until repair comes tomorrow!

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I learned the hard way. I was penny pinching when we had ultra-high temps causing my electric bill to skyrocket (talking 114 degrees), and turned off the thermostat one day.

Well, I and my cats were more lethargic than usual after a while. Three fans, still sweating bullets and falling to sleep. Instinctively, I took a shower, which I think kept me from heat stroke, took Prince and Nikita with me to the grandparents for a few hours and let them play.

Went back to the apartment later, the thermostat was at 99 degrees, the walls and every object in the apartment (small studio) was warm, and the fans were blowing warm air.

Nikita started open mouth panting while Prince laid down and, while not panting, I could see he was breathing heavily but more relaxed. Concerned, after turning on the thermostat and waiting for it to go back down, I wiped Nikita with a cold and damp rag, kept my eye on them. It was not a dim night at all.

So, if I were you, I would definitely do something to lesson the heat, and if you can take them somewhere in the meantime, do it

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Omg thanks for the heads up... that’s awful . It’s running now... will keep tabs on it.

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
mnm mnm - Fans do nothing to lower the air temperature, and cats dissipate heat by transpiration only through their noses and paw pads. Fans make warm spaces tolerable for Humans because of the cooling effect of evaporation.

You're in Phoenix, where the temperature is currently 110ºF with an overnight low of 90ºF. Personal opinion: without a room air conditioner, Molly is at much greater risk than she would be with a simple change of environment for the night, since you'll still be with her in either event.
Thank you for your reply. We will definitely keep monitoring the temps if it goes off again before the repair guy comes tomorrow. It’s on right now after our friend looked at it.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg thanks for the heads up... that’s awful . It’s running now... will keep tabs on it.
mnm mnm - For a hard look at the reality of Nature9000 Nature9000 's advice, call your local emergency veterinarian and ask how many cases of hyperthermia they treat on average; their answer will probably alarm you. This:

Cat Heatstroke Causes - Heatstroke Symptoms in Cats | petMD

should be required reading for every cat owner.

I'm in western New York, where temperatures seldom reach 90ºF and have never reached 100ºF. I still have three spare 25,000 BTU window units set aside against the eventuality of need.