Questions...

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, so I have been working with a feral/stray since early spring. Long story short, he finally started mildly trusting me just in the last two months. I tried to make him a few different cat houses with a heated bed, but he's too nervous about them and won't ever go near them. So tonight it's really cold (and going to be in the teens this weekend) so when he showed up tonight (after dark, as always) I just quickly whisked him into our only bathroom.
Now what?? 😆
I have painted myself into a corner. We only have one bathroom. It's almost the weekend, I doubt my vet will get us in tomorrow. I have bronchitis. I have 6 other cats that I am trying to keep safe. I have three kids (and myself) that use that bathroom multiple times a day... What did I do?! lol

I already ordered Advantage II for him, it will be here tomorrow morning. But I have questions about that. I have never ever used flea meds on my cats, we have always just bathed them before introducing them to the others (or they came pre-treated from the shelter). How long does it take to work? When could I move him into a bedroom without worrying about a flea infestation? I can move him into my sons room, but only after I know fleas won't be a problem.
What diseases do I need to worry about? He has scaly bloody spots all over him, and a large yellowish scabby spot on his side. Is this all from fleas and itching? Can anything be passed by our feet or clothing, from being in there with him and coming out again?

I will be getting him into the vet, but until then, I need to keep my other cats safe. Ugh, the timing.

I have been a lifelong (indoor) cat owner, and even rescued our last two out of the neighborhood, but we bathed them and had a vet trip immediately due to good timing, so I didn't have to worry about this stuff.
Thanks for any help and advice.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
First, see if you can get a cage from a rescue or talk to the ER vets about how to contain him elsewhere, or even in the bathtub so at least you can utilize the bathroom for necessary things. Can you use slippers that everyone puts on for entering the bathroom and take off when you leave the room.

Second, see if your vet can work you in if at all possible. I can't answer about the condition of his skin poor guy and I'd be wary of moving him out of that room yet. Do you have a nearby friend that might let you use their bathroom?

Let me look about the timing of the advantage. Ok here it is,
Advantage® II flea treatment for cats goes on in seconds, starts killing fleas within 12 hours and is waterproof after 24 hours.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have a laundry room or closet that can work instead?
So that's what we wound up doing! He's in a basement closet. Doesn't sound glamorous, but it's contained and safe. It's the same size as the bathroom anyway- I just had to move a lot of storage stuff out.

As far as the Advantage II, Amazon promised morning delivery, now they are saying *tomorrow* morning, "sorry for the delay". Annoying.

Okay, so Frankie's been inside since last night and he has barely eaten and hasn't peed or pooped yet. I even tried adding some soil into the litter box, put him in it, and he just gave it an extra sniff before jumping out again. He loves us being in there, but I am concerned about him not eating or drinking or going to the bathroom.

We are on our way to pickup some Dr. Elsy's cat attract stuff, so maybe that will help.

The vet couldn't get us in today, so we have to wait until next week... Thanksgiving week.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry, I got the impression you were in a small house and had no other options.

I'd be very careful to really clean that bathroom, and ensure your cats don't get anywhere near him. I would basically keep everyone away from him until you have a chance to get him to the vet, which, if he's not eating, should be sooner than later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I got the impression you were in a small house and had no other options.
I just totally hadn't thought of the basement storage room closet! My mom gave me the idea. I hadn't even thought about it, we just stuffed it with storage stuff years ago when we moved in. lol

So he is now eating a little, but only when we are in there, after lots of coaxing, and only off the floor or a flat plate- the wide shallow bowl I was using wasn't acceptable to his standards. Okay, that's fine, I'm figuring him out, at least!

And I discovered that he wasn't just holding his pee- he's been peeing on the towel in his box bed and then just sleeping on it. So far the litter attractant hasn't appealed to him yet. I really really hope I can get him to figure out a littler box...