Questions to pet rabbit owners

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Something probably scared mom off and she didn't want to draw attention to the babies.
I am afraid it could have been me considering I feel like I was kind of 'stalking' her. She sees us on our screened in patio but that is about 30 feet away. That one night at dusk I was in a dark bedroom peeking out the window at the location where she was nursing - I got to wondering if she saw me. That would only have been a distance of 7-8 feet. I hope I didn't hurt the baby(ies) by doing that.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am afraid it could have been me considering I feel like I was kind of 'stalking' her. She sees us on our screened in patio but that is about 30 feet away. That one night at dusk I was in a dark bedroom peeking out the window at the location where she was nursing - I got to wondering if she saw me. That would only have been a distance of 7-8 feet. I hope I didn't hurt the baby(ies) by doing that.
The babies are fine, they are mobile enough that they could munch on other things for a few hours. Mom might have come by at an off time that you didn't see.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ms. Rabbit was cautiously hanging around in the back yard yesterday, after a two-day no-show, but never did see her go to the bunny in the side yard. She was back out there today under the azaleas, more cautious than she was before the 'incident' the other night - but disappeared when it started raining a while ago. When she didn't show Monday night, I got alfalfa hay to put out for the bunny on Tuesday. Some was gone when I checked yesterday morning, but who knows what ate it. A little more was gone by yesterday evening, but it doesn't look like anymore was eaten as of this morning. I saw the bunny hanging out by its nest yesterday morning too - haven't yet looked today.

Should I toss/replace the wet alfalfa hay now that it has been rained on?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No Ms. Rabbit sighting near the 'nest', up til dusk when I could no longer see.

Bunny appears to still be there, as far as I can tell from an earlier glimpse today. Rain ended, so dumped the wet alfalfa hay in the general area of the nest and put more out that was dry. And, then it rained again. :ohwell:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No Ms. Rabbit sighting near the 'nest', up til dusk when I could no longer see.

Bunny appears to still be there, as far as I can tell from an earlier glimpse today. Rain ended, so dumped the wet alfalfa hay in the general area of the nest and put more out that was dry. And, then it rained again. :ohwell:
Wet hay is only a problem when it starts to mold, the bunny will still munch on some wet. As long as you change it out after it stops raining it should be fine.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
'No show' on mama rabbit today in my back yard at all (that I know of anyway). Saw bunny on the side yard for a bit, not really small anymore, as a matter of fact it looks quite 'robust' and alert. Cleaned out and replenished the alfalfa hay, but not really seeing where any was even eaten. So, it likely means it isn't needed.

And, based on the size(s) I have seen, who knows how many 'bunnies' I am really seeing. They are doing a good job at keeping this human 'in the dark'! Good job on them! Will still keep a low profile on that side of the yard for now. I hope to not see any of them much longer and will assume that means they found better places to be.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, the rabbits are 'screwing' with me (LOL).

This morning Mama Rabbit must have been on her 'weekend' schedule, as she was out in our backyard well past dawn. My husband saw her when he went to feed the squirrels, and she didn't even run from him other than to go to a farther area in yard and stayed there munching away on our weeds. We later saw her scurry from the yard to under the azaleas in the back of yard. No sightings again after that.

No 'robust' bunny was seen in our side yard today, and I honestly couldn't tell if any of the alfalfa hay was eaten.

Later in the afternoon - drum roll please - a bunny rabbit appeared near the azaleas, but away from them, in broad daylight. I think this rabbit looks different (sure, I can tell, uh-huh) from 'mama'. Gone in no time.

Next thing, just minutes ago, a rabbit (again, different looking to me), was up so close to our screened in patio - where no rabbit 'has gone before'. Not even mama.

Was this 'robust' bunny, or mama, or ???. Like I said they are messing with my mind.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It NEVER stops!!! Just when I thought I was 'done', I am NOT. Two rabbits emerged just a few minutes ago. First sighting since last post. One be-bopping about more than the other. The be-bopper is a bit smaller, and the white tail is less pronounced than the more cautious rabbit - which I presume to be 'mama'.

They are SO cute, but we are going to go about our 'business' and let the 'chips fall where they may'. No tippy toeing around our yard anymore. They probably have already figured that out.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I was wondering how the bun sightings were going! We have jackrabbits occasionally, and I would LOVE to see a baby jackbun.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It NEVER stops!!! Just when I thought I was 'done', I am NOT. Two rabbits emerged just a few minutes ago. First sighting since last post. One be-bopping about more than the other. The be-bopper is a bit smaller, and the white tail is less pronounced than the more cautious rabbit - which I presume to be 'mama'.

They are SO cute, but we are going to go about our 'business' and let the 'chips fall where they may'. No tippy toeing around our yard anymore. They probably have already figured that out.
There is a reason for the "multiplying like rabbits" saying.🐇🐇🐇

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last update (I hope). Mama rabbit (and company?) may have found a new home somewhere else. No sightings since nearly a week ago. I am OK with that!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No more questions, just observations. After having a rabbit or two come and go through my yard again recently, today there were what I would call 3 adolescent rabbits just 'be-bopping' all over the place in broad daylight - without a seeming care in the world. They were not being cautious whatsoever. As nice as it is to know that something has changed in our area (even though it is probably not a positive thing in reality) to bring rabbits back in the fold, I am just waiting for these silly rabbits to be picked off by hawks.

Speaking of which, just as I am typing this, one of these rabbits is back in the yard just now, with a hawk flying over chasing all the birds/squirrels into hiding. Thankfully, the rabbit seems to have picked up on it all.