Questions Re: Meat Grinder & Bones

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our meat grinder (TreSpade) suddenly died on us.... only after 1.5 year of very infrequent use, although it boasts 0.8HP, cost $1,000 and is made in Italy.... only 1 year warranty. I'm completely deflated and upset. We live in Australia and can't easily get our hands on reputable Tasin or Weston grinders and even if we managed to get one imported, we need a voltage converter.

I started exploring alternative methods and came across blogs and YouTube videos of kitty guardians using a food processor to grind bones. I had never thought that a food processor was robust enough for that purpose. Is anyone using a food processor in place of a meat grinder? Any particular brands you would recommend? My only concern with this method is that a food processor generates heat, which destroys and also oxidizes nutrients, just like centrifugal juicers.

Next question is, do we need to use thigh bones? For some reason we had always used thigh bones in our recipe, but if other parts are equally nutritious and doesn't matter what bones we use, then obviously there are more grinder-friendly bones such as wings. As I write this, I'm beginning to suspect that our meat grinder died because we were grinding whole legs consisting of the thigh and drumstick.... are Tasin or Weston capable of grinding whole legs?

Another option is find a butcher who lets us use their grinder to grind bones.

Please share your thoughts on the use of a food processor and the type of bones to use from a nutritional point of view.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also doubt there are food processors that can adequately grind bone.

I don't grind meat and bones for cat food so don't know the answers to any of those questions... but I do know that Dr. Pierson has some rather detailed discussion of grinders and bones on her site. This link jumps to that discussion on her "Making Cat Food" page.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Tasin is really normally used to grind thigh bones, not drumsticks. You really need a heavy duty one if you want drumsticks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I've read all popular literature including Dr. Pierson's.
I hear people are grinding bones in a blender called Vitamix, so might consider that. They are pricey though.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I've read all popular literature including Dr. Pierson's.
I hear people are grinding bones in a blender called Vitamix, so might consider that. They are pricey though.
I would really worry about the safety of that and getting the ones ground up to a safe size.