questions re: feline herpes virus

LilyPanda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are picking up our new kitten this weekend from a really lovely, highly recommended local breeder. Recently we saw a few comments on their Facebook page, from people who've adopted from them, mentioning that their kitten(s) or cat(s) have feline herpes. The comments don't seem to be complaints, exactly, and the people seem happy with their cats. But I'm now a little concerned. I'm trying to do some reading to educate myself on feline herpes, because I have no experience at all with this.

I'm unsure if this means my kitten is likely to have issues with this? And if so, how serious it is likely to be? I'm seeing sort of conflicting information on both points.

This is our first time trying to adopt from a breeder rather than from a shelter or rescue group (where all our former cats have come from), and it's been an oddly difficult process. (I posted previously about how the first kitten we looked at a couple of months ago, from a different breeder, had oozing eyes and an upper respiratory infection. Although I've spent a lot of time researching and vetting breeders, really trying to make sure I choose a good one, I'm now wondering if I made a mistake going this route.)

Anyway, I'd be grateful for any advice, thoughts, etc., from anyone who has some experience or knowledge about feline herpes. Thank you

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While feline herpes does require a little bit of management in most cases, it is by no means a devastating illness. Take a look at this article, Feline Herpes And Rhinotracheitis, to get a good background, if you will, then come back with further questions so we can fine-tune things for you.

I can tell you right now that there are a lot of cats here at TCS living happily, and for the most part, healthily, with feline herpes. Don't let this destroy your pleasure in your new family member!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LilyPanda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the kind and reassuring post! I'll take a look a the article you linked. I'm especially concerned about making sure our adult cat doesn't catch anything, so I really want to educate myself as much as possible.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! The article that Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 provided probably states this, but - while there is no way to fully protect your resident cat from the virus, the vaccines for herpes work similarly to the way a flu vaccine does in people. The vaccine is not used to completely eliminate the probability but is instead used to increase the immune system. So, if your resident cat has received the vaccines, and the boosters, there should be a bit of a less concern on your part about him/her getting sick from your new kitty. Secondary infections can occur and those could still be transmitted to your adult cat.

Last edited: