Questions On Declawing And Why It's Inhumane

supanatral

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is a hot topic so let me first start out with saying: I have a 4.5 month old Scottish Fold kitten who I LOVE and adore and I do not want to hurt her by any means! I also wish to add that I'm not trying to be argumentative or trying to encourage declawing, I'm simply trying to understand.

I've done research on this subject to now find that many view this as inhumane and after an exhausting amount of research, I haven't found the answers to my questions so I'm hoping to ask them here.

From my research, I've found 2 main arguments why declawing is inhumane:

Argument 1: Declawing is similar to cutting off the tips of your fingers

My thoughts: I understand how this can be understood as inhumane but, what I don't understand is how spading/neutering a cat is considered to be perfectly humane (and encouraged) by animal activists. If I had a choice to chose between having my genitals removed or having the tips of my fingers cut off (surgically, of course) than I would have the tips of my fingers removed any day of this week!

Argument 2: Cat's need a way to defend themselves!

My thoughts: I couldn't agree more when it comes to an outdoor cat. However, my cat lives with my wife and I in a condo and she doesn't need to defend herself against my couch.

Argument 3: It hurts cats to use the litter box after

My thoughts: I hope this isn't true because I could understand the inhumanness if this as true. That being said, I grew up with 2 cats who were both declawed, one of them started to poo outside the litter box when he got older (HOWEVER he was an insanely grumpy cat who I would never give affection toward in fear of getting bit) and the other was the most loving cat who never missed the litter box. The articles never explained if this pain was for a period after the surgery (which I can understand) or for their lifetime (which I would doubt considering my experience).

Alternative 1: Use claw caps

My thoughts: After trying them for a while, my kitten still gets frustrated by them and tries to remove them. I feel that this constant annoyance isn't more humane.

Alternative 2: You need more scratching posts!!

My thoughts:  Granted, I only have 2 in my 900 sq/ft condo but I just caught her using my carpet as a scratching post about 1ft away from the scratching post and is now lifting my carpet! UGH!

I'm sure I'm misunderstanding something so I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

PS: Here is the picture of my love 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello and welcome!!

I am happy to give some answers in hopes that you will consider them in your decision to declaw or not.

Correct that it is removing the portion equivalent to our fingers up to the first joint.

Consider the comparison that cats walk on their hands while we don't too.

There are cats out there who have had what would be called a successful declawing, physically speaking.

But the healing is very painful and takes a good deal of time to fully heal.

Plenty of times the cat needs a second surgery because the full nail bed was not removed, and part of the bed will cause a nail to grow, which seems to end up growing right up through their paw pad. Very painful.

MANY cats, while they seem to recover okay, have been left with extra sensitive paws that they will not want touched and hate the feel of cat litter on those sensitive paws, causing unfaithful box use. 

To me, the biggest reason not to declaw comes from within the cat. 

When you remove 1 of the only 2 defenses a cat has, it causes pretty dramatic behavior issues.

The cat feels defenseless or weakened basically, and very often will become a biter, overcompensating for the lack of claws.

They will act crabby and not fully interact with the stamina and confidence that is natural to cats.

You stand a pretty decent chance of getting an inappropriate eliminator, a biter, possibly anti-social, and a cat lacking bravery and stamina you would have if intact claws.

Not to mention that at some point an indoor only cat will escape the house, it just is the way it is, their curiosity gets to them and they wanna see! So many dogs naturally go after a cat, and a declawed cat is mud since they can't climb a tree or fence without claws.

There are ways to deter a cat from clawing where you don't want them to, and attracting them to where you do.

A cat tower that is very stable is ideal.

They love the height and the carpeted surfaces.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

supanatral

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hello and welcome!!

I am happy to give some answers in hopes that you will consider them in your decision to declaw or not.

Correct that it is removing the portion equivalent to our fingers up to the first joint.

Consider the comparison that cats walk on their hands while we don't too.

There are cats out there who have had what would be called a successful declawing, physically speaking.

But the healing is very painful and takes a good deal of time to fully heal.

Plenty of times the cat needs a second surgery because the full nail bed was not removed, and part of the bed will cause a nail to grow, which seems to end up growing right up through their paw pad. Very painful.

MANY cats, while they seem to recover okay, have been left with extra sensitive paws that they will not want touched and hate the feel of cat litter on those sensitive paws, causing unfaithful box use. 

To me, the biggest reason not to declaw comes from within the cat. 

When you remove 1 of the only 2 defenses a cat has, it causes pretty dramatic behavior issues.

The cat feels defenseless or weakened basically, and very often will become a biter, overcompensating for the lack of claws.

They will act crabby and not fully interact with the stamina and confidence that is natural to cats.

You stand a pretty decent chance of getting an inappropriate eliminator, a biter, possibly anti-social, and a cat lacking bravery and stamina you would have if intact claws.

Not to mention that at some point an indoor only cat will escape the house, it just is the way it is, their curiosity gets to them and they wanna see! So many dogs naturally go after a cat, and a declawed cat is mud since they can't climb a tree or fence without claws.

There are ways to deter a cat from clawing where you don't want them to, and attracting them to where you do.

A cat tower that is very stable is ideal.

They love the height and the carpeted surfaces.
@catwoman707 Thank you very much for your reply! I appreciate the time you took and your reasonableness!

I was very concerned when posting my thread because I realize how my post could be mistaken as being argumentative or disagreeing on the declawing matter when the truth is, I don't fully understand.

I find it interesting because Phantom (the EXTREMELY loving cat who I spoke about prior) had very sensitive paws and I've been very surprised because the kitten I have now doesn't have sensitive paws at all. I feel that it's very possible that declawing could have caused this heightened her sensitivity to her paws being touched. I will continue to do research on this because this can show longterm pain caused pain of declawing 

As for having to go for a second surgery (due to the the claws not being properly): I personally feel that this would be a testament to finding a good veterinarian. To be fair, if I got my kitten spade and she still got pregnant afterwards causing me to take her back to the vet to get her "re-spade", I wouldn't blame the procedure as much as I would blame the veterinarian for their incompetence; similarly, if i got her declawed, and I had to take her back to get the same procedure corrected, I wouldn't blame the procedure as much as I would blame the incomentent vet I took her to. 

You also mentioned that there is a higher chance of "biter, possibly anti-social, and a cat lacking bravery and stamina you would have if intact claws". According to my personal history with cats, I have a 50/50% chance  :p so I will continue to do research on this.

Thanks again for your reply! I genuinely appreciate your input on this matter

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you bought the kitten from a responsible breeder, there's probably a clause in the co tract stating that you can't have her de-clawed. Most caring breeders feel quite strongly about it.

If I had a choice to chose between having my genitals removed or having the tips of my fingers cut off (surgically, of course) than I would have the tips of my fingers removed any day of this week!
Haha, I've heard this one before, and, well, personally, as a woman, I would much rather keep my fingers. . .reproductive organs are just a pain to be tolerated long enough to get babies :tongue2:. Although I think men feel differently ;). But really think about that. I had a co-worker who blew the first joint of his right index finger off with a firecracker when he was a kid. It was just one finger, but it had a major effect on his dexterity. It was harder for him to write, pick stuff up, etc. If it was all his fingers, I think he would have had a lot of trouble. I never asked him if he'd rather lose his reproductive organs or all his fingertips though :lol3:.

And cats do not have an emotional attachment to their reproductive organs.

De-clawing changes the way they walk and hold their bodies. This is unavoidable, because you're removing part of their foot. Over time, the unnatural gait/stance can lead to arthritis and other structural abnormalities.

Check out the links in my signature for a lot more info!

Last edited:

supanatral

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you bought the kitten from a responsible breeder, there's probably a clause in the co tract stating that you can't have her de-clawed. Most caring breeders feel quite strongly about it.
Haha, I've heard this one before, and, well, personally, as a woman, I would much rather keep my fingers. . .reproductive organs are just a pain to be tolerated long enough to get babies
. Although I think men feel differently
. But really think about that. I had a co-worker who blew the first joint of his right index finger off with a firecracker when he was a kid. It was just one finger, but it had a major effect on his dexterity. It was harder for him to write, pick stuff up, etc. If it was all his fingers, I think he would have had a lot of trouble. I never asked him if he'd rather lose his reproductive organs or all his fingertips though

And cats do not have an emotional attachment to their reproductive organs.

De-clawing changes the way they walk and hold their bodies. This is unavoidable, because you're removing part of their foot. Over time, the unnatural gait/stance can lead to arthritis and other structural abnormalities.

Check out the links in my signature for a lot more info!
@Willowy  you can rest assured, my wife won't see your reply :p  HAHA! She will never have that option :p

Thank you for your reply! I will have a look at the links

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're giving consideration to declawing, I'd personally want to know what to expect, and to use scientific method to ascertain that.  You'll want to line up a surgeon to have your distal phalanges amputated, but to be a part of the experiment, you'll have to ask the surgeon to keep the date a secret.  When the time comes, and the amputations are complete, to experience if from your cat's point of view (although you won't know the abject fear and later bewilderment and loss of trust that your cat will feel, since you'll know what's happening, and why), you won't be able to ask for pain medication - and the process is incredibly painful, incredibly slow, and can be complicated by osteophyte formation or spurring at the end of an amputation stump, unless you're planning to shell out for eight medical grade silicone elastomer implants at about four grand each, and can find a surgeon competent to do the work on so minute a scale.  When a year has passed, and you realise how many natural abilities you've lost forever, make a decision - but only after your cat has given written consent.

That crap in your apartment that you're so incredibly in love with is just crap.  If you, "adore," this cat as your initial post claims - or have even the slightest grain of caring - then awake to the fact that everything in your apartment can be replaced, with one exception - the cat, and the inherent bond of trust.  The senseless mutilation and disfigurement of a life so noble as a cat is certainly among the most reprehensible and filthy acts known to Humankind - and in doing it, you'll abandon even your Humanity itself.

supanatral

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@1CatOverTheLine  Just to be clear, am I spending $4,000USD or $4,000 CAD?
 Let me guess....the apocalypse will happen after I spend $4,000 of an unknown currency? I certainly hope that we're not talking euros because I only budgeted $4,000 USD.

I joke. I joke.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

@catwoman707 Thank you very much for your reply! I appreciate the time you took and your reasonableness!

I was very concerned when posting my thread because I realize how my post could be mistaken as being argumentative or disagreeing on the declawing matter when the truth is, I don't fully understand.

I find it interesting because Phantom (the EXTREMELY loving cat who I spoke about prior) had very sensitive paws and I've been very surprised because the kitten I have now doesn't have sensitive paws at all. I feel that it's very possible that declawing could have caused this heightened her sensitivity to her paws being touched. I will continue to do research on this because this can show longterm pain caused pain of declawing 

As for having to go for a second surgery (due to the the claws not being properly): I personally feel that this would be a testament to finding a good veterinarian. To be fair, if I got my kitten spade and she still got pregnant afterwards causing me to take her back to the vet to get her "re-spade", I wouldn't blame the procedure as much as I would blame the veterinarian for their incompetence; similarly, if i got her declawed, and I had to take her back to get the same procedure corrected, I wouldn't blame the procedure as much as I would blame the incomentent vet I took her to. 

You also mentioned that there is a higher chance of "biter, possibly anti-social, and a cat lacking bravery and stamina you would have if intact claws". According to my personal history with cats, I have a 50/50% chance  :p so I will continue to do research on this.

Thanks again for your reply! I genuinely appreciate your input on this matter
You are very welcome, and agree about it being on the vet vs the procedure.

As you mentioned, based on your experience you have a 50/50 chance, because of 2 declawed cats, one having issues?

It's actually higher than that, you just got lucky lol~

It's most definitely higher if not all cats who get declawed lose their confidence, and many really do become biters due to their overcompensating the loss of their claws.

I hope you choose other options for your girl's sake :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Argument 1: Declawing is similar to cutting off the tips of your fingers

My thoughts: I understand how this can be understood as inhumane but, what I don't understand is how spading/neutering a cat is considered to be perfectly humane (and encouraged) by animal activists. If I had a choice to chose between having my genitals removed or having the tips of my fingers cut off (surgically, of course) than I would have the tips of my fingers removed any day of the week!
[/URL]
I read this and knew the OP was male. I would gladly have my reproductive organs removed even if it was not an either or type of option.

I do understand the point though of why one is acceptable and the other isn't. Personally I think is it more of spaying and neutering provides a function of reducing overpopulatipn. At least here in America over 1.4 million cats are killed every year due to overpopulation. Spaying and neutering is an acceptable method to prevent more unwanted kittens. While the cats have no say and don't control it there really isn't a long term detrimental affect. When done young the cats don't ever know different. There is no long lasting damage (most of the time, I am fully aware of botched surgeries but they are rare). There are behavioral benefits but my decision to fix my cats is soley for overpopulation and reduce their cancer risk. As a female I also just don't want my female cat to have to go through the brutal mating and insane heat (spiked penis and so horomone driven that they will jump out 3rd story windows to reach a male? Nope nope nope).

Declawing is soley for human benefit to preserve items with no positive benefit for the cat. When done wrong (and it frequently is when not done by an experienced doctor at a good facility) there can be regrowth and nerve damage. Honestly, from your story I wouldn't be suprised if your one cat as a child suffered from side effects with his attitude and litter problems.

As a personal story to emphasize. When I was a teen I destroyed my big toenails. Balck and blue and the toes themselves still click and lock up 20 years later. But because of that, and honestly before, I get horrible ingrown toenails. My nails will grow through my skin if I don't properly maintain them. I have felt the pain of a nail growing through skin where it shouldn't. I know what it is like personally. I would not put my cat in a situation where that could happen to them.

I also had nerve damage to just my big toes and know how uncomfortable it is to walk when you have nerve damage. And that was just two toes. There is nothing that can be done and luckily in my situation the nnerves have slowly healed (or finally died off its hard to tell but they don't tingle and hurt randomly or when I bump something). I couldn't imagine the discomfort and pain if it was all my toes. Again, I wouldn't do that to another creature.

Which comes back to would I cut off my fingers or reproductive? Even if I wasn't inclined towards reproductive by being female. Knowing how nails growing through skin and nerve damage feel I wouldn't want to go through that again.

I agree with the defense point too. Even if you have every intent and desire to keep her indoors. What if? What if some tragedy befell you and she was rehomed? What if those people weren't as intent on indoor? What if she escapes some day and is lost for days on the streets. What if there is a fire in your condo and the firefighters break down the door and she runs out? What if someone breaks in and isn't courtious enough to close the door? What if you go out of town and the housesitter leaves a window open? What if a giant mutant rat crawls up the toilet? Okay that last one would be interesting to see.... the point is that things beyond your control happen. While I would wish none of them on you in your life there is simply no wya to guarantee 100% that nothing will happen. There just isn't and that is life. You buy insurance just incase the unthinkable happens; why would you essentially remove her insurance?

The litter box pain goes back to nerve damage. There is simply no way to say, even with the best vet on the planet, that she would mot be at risk. Even in human dental work and surgeries nerve damage is a risk because nerves aren't always in the right place. You gamble with declawing surgeries that she will be one of the few that never have any related problems.

Speaking of problems. If she did develop problems down the line a declaw complicates problem solving to figure out what is going on. Just by the nature of being the root of so many different behaviorial problems.

Put yourself in her position. Your parents love you and care for you. Then one day they take you to the doctor. The doctor gives you medicine and you fall asleep. Then you wake up without the tips of your fingers. Unlike reproductive organ removal when too young to know what they are you know what your fingers are. You've used them to pick things up, hold things, grip, everything. You know your first finger joint is gone. No one tells you why. No one tells you how. You woke up and they are gone. Everyone acts like nothing has happened. Then you go to pick up a cup but you can't hold it right. Your parents ignore your cries as the cup slips from your grip. You go to write something down but you can't control the pen. Your parents pat your head and say you are good for not drawing on the wall. You go to use the restroom and after the raw ends of you fingers hurt as you try to clean up. Your parents wonder why you didn't wash your hands and punish you even though it is because it hurts to wash your hands. And through it all you don't know why you lost your first finger joint but your parents smile and talk about how nice it is.

I couldn't do it.

Regular claw trimming. Squares of loose carpet or area rugs in spots she is clawing the carpet. More scratching posts. Different scratching posts. A chunk of log near the fireplace. Sticky tape on furniture scratched. Just accepting it as a fact of having a cat. But I wouldn't put my cats through it.

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, at least it seems like you have done some research on the issue, which is a good thing. However...

argument 1: cats walk on their toes. Without their toes, their weight gets shifted back to their wrists causing early onset arthritis. This is incredibly painful for cats, it becomes hard to walk, and painful to dig through litter, causing litterbox avoidance and inappropriate urination (cleaning this up is not a cake walk, I assure you). Declawing caused cats pain for the rest of their lives. Desexing does not, and prevents many diseases, most notably in female cats, pyometra. Furthermore, cats don't have sexual identity in the same way that people do.

Argument 2: what if your cat escapes? She won't be able to defend herself, as you said, or escape from animals chasing her (for example, by climbing up a tree)

Argument 3: I pointed this out already, but I would like to say something about that "grumpy" cat of yours you had growing up... declawing causes early onset arthritis, with gets progressively worse over time. That old cat of yours? Declawing could very well have been the catalyst for his litterbox avoidance as he got older. (And seriously, how old was he? I have met people who thought that seven years is ancient for cats). Furthermore, cats don't misuse their litterbox to spite you. It is usually caused by an underlying medical issue. Declawing is illegal throughout much of Europe, as well as in the US cities of Beverly Hills and San Francisco, among others. The number one reason that cats are relinquished to shelters? Inappropriate urination. After these cities started declawing bans, the number of cats being relinquished to shelters decreased.

Alternative 1: regular nail trims are easy for you and your cat, so nail caps really aren't necessary. You can trim your cat's nails at home, or take her into the vet or a groomer for a nail trim (this is inexpensive, about $15), if you get this done every two weeks, her claws won't get sharp enough to cause any damage to furniture, or to you.

Alternative 2: cats have different preferences for scratching. Some prefer a vertical surface, others prefer a horizontal surface. Since your cat is scratching carpets, I think she might be a horizontal scratcher. You can purchase horizontal scratchers at pet supply stores for about $30 (they're made out of corrugated cardboard). Place these where your cat is scratching and cover any other "scratch not" surfaces with this:

https://www.chewy.com/smartykat-scr...v6kAxfAgHzdb4aHj6bmtdxoCIM_w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hope this helps clear some things up!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A carpeted cat tower that does not move at all (or the cat won't use it) and here's pics of what I did to protect my furniture, works like a charm and always has :)

This is clear contact paper on the ends of the couch and loveseat. 

I have one more thing to add:

I have a cat rescue for many years now, I couldn't count the number of cats who I have been asked to take due to rehoming them, biting, grumpy, non interactive, refusal to use the box, and so on.

Then I discover the cat is declawed.......

So I can't help how eye opening this has become to me as a major behavioral issue in declawed cats.

My latest one was from a lady who had all 4 paws declawed and now doesn't like the cat anymore. I want to wring her neck for the sheer ignorance.

It changes them, and I don't blame them at all, and it can't be undone...

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a good chance that Ohio will follow New York and New Jersey in making declawing illegal; S5084A is already poised for a vote in the New York Senate, with the last informal poll showing 52 of 63 Senators on board to end declawing in New York, and the 2005 amendment to the Big Cat Law in California will almost certainly add California to the list before this Legislative session ends in Sacramento in June.

http://www.cleveland.com/best/2017/03/to_declaw_or_not_while_still_a.html

Hopefully, by year's end, America will join the 21 E.U.. nations who've already banned declawing.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Others have already said most of what I would say. I do have a couple of things to add though.

Firstly, declawing is illegal in many countries (including mine). Be honest with yourself - if declawing were truly not harmful, would it be banned (or else only be considered in the most extreme circumstances and done ONLY where there is no other option, just like a limb amputation) in all of these countries?

• England
  • Scotland
  • Wales
  • Italy
  • Austria
  • Switzerland
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Ireland
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • Slovenia
  • Brazil
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • Serbia
  • Montenegro
  • Macedonia
  • Slovenia
  • France
  • Germany
  • Bosnia
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Northern Ireland
  • Portugal
  • Belgium
  • Israel

Secondly, cats have preferences in the way they scratch, and many really enjoy horizontal scratching (just as your girl is doing on your carpet). The best way to address this is to provide a suitable flat scratching surface. I have several cardboard scratchers like these
The first one doubles as a toy, and both get used as beds as well as scratching places. You can get much more elegant ones too. Scratching mats are another option, as are solid wave type scratchers. If you want to splurge, @Bengalcatman makes a truly beautiful horizontal scratcher - [thread="312604"]​[/thread]. You could even get an offcut of your carpet and use that as a makeshift flat scratcher. My personal experience is that the cardboard is an extra satisfying material to scratch on, and as soon as the cardboard scratches went down, all other floor scratching stopped :) They naturally seek out the most satisfying places to scratch, after all ;)

Lastly, she's still just a kitten. Persevere and be patient. Given time and appropriate alternatives, she WILL learn :nod: :) [article="29683"][/article]

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @supanatral  Welcome to TCS.

I'm glad that you're doing some research before getting any medical procedure done on your cat.

The country I live in doesn't allow declawing either, but I thought I'd give you my opinion on some of the points raised.

First of all, it's not really a choice of "Lose your finger tips or lose your genitals" The genitals are still there! And, as the lucky person selected by The Cat Goddess to take care of a colony of spayed and neutered former feral cats, I assure you that even after being fixed the cats that wish to still make full use of their genitalia.

Secondly, I'd like to ask if you have you been able to find any information that says declawing is beneficial to cats? We all know that declawing means your carpets and furniture don't need replacing as often as they might do, but does it have any other benefits? All I have been able to find is articles that claim declawing is a better option than having to rehome a cat because they keep scratching the furniture. In other words, "We're going to cut your finger tips off. This is the best thing for you because if we don't cut them off you'll damage the furniture. If you damage the furniture we'll have no option but to send you to a shelter, where you'll spend a long time in a tiny cage and may well end up being PTS, or we'll have to dump you out on the street."

That seems a bit harsh to me.

Really, if the only benefit is to your furniture, putting your cat through a procedure where there is a 50% chance that she'll suffer long term pain doesn't seem worth it to me. Go to Ikea and get some cheap rugs to throw down until she learns better!

Trust me, people judge you more on how kind you are to other beings than they do on how shabby your carpets look.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am glad to write that feline declawing is illegal in every State in Australia.

Declawing involves removing the equivalent of the terminal bone of every finger of the hand.  In other words, the removal of the last finger bone at the level of the last knuckle!   Think on it!

With all best Wishes,

Geoffrey

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Hello S supanatral and welcome to the site. :wavey:

I do need to point out to you that our site is anti-declaw. From the forum rules -

4. This website is anti-declawing. Understand that if you are pro-declaw in your posts, you will encounter opposition. Please learn more about alternatives for declawing here in our forums as well as on our website itself.
Having said that, thank you for coming here to educate yourself about what it entails. I wish more people did that. Scare tactics are never the way to try to educate someone. Your girl is simply adorable. :love: I can tell you care about her very much. :)

When I was a child, we adopted a kitten. She went in for the usual "spay and declaw" because that was the norm back then. Everyone did it. :dk: She did eventually start with the inappropriate elimination and she had the tendency to bite. Was this related to the declawing? I don't know. I was a kid and certainly never thought about it back then nor did I notice any signs of distress or pain from her because again, I was a kid. If I think about it now I do wonder if that was an issue. :dk:

When my husband and I bought our first home, another cat came into our lives. She was a stray and had already been spayed and still had her claws. We never had an issue with her so never even considered declawing.

After losing her, it was time to adopt another. It was twelve years ago and off we went to a shelter this time. When we adopted her, I had to sign paperwork saying I would never have her declawed. I was puzzled by that because I couldn't understand what the big deal was. I signed and brought my Abby home. Not long after I found this site and started to learn more about declawing. :cringe:. I was a bit horrified to find out what it entailed and felt bad about the declawing of my childhood cat. :(

As you go about the site, you see members that have declawed cats that are acting just fine currently and you will also see stories about cats that have had nothing but pain and complications. Personally, I'm not willing to risk the chance of pain and complications because some of the stories are really, really bad.

My niece is a vet tech at a place that does declaws. She says it is awful to assist in the surgery and to see how the cats are right after surgery.

I tend to roll my eyes at the workings of all things government. Based on the fact that I think all governments are in it for themselves and aren't all that concerned about us, there has to be some shred of truth to the anti-declaw argument for so many countries to outlaw it. The Canadian Veterinarian Association opposes it : https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...al-association-opposes-declawing-of-cats.html While the American Veterinarian Association doesn't go quite that far, the do admit that it is an amputation -

https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/Reference/AnimalWelfare/Pages/Declaw-or-Not.aspx

Onychectomy is an amputation and should be regarded as a major surgery.
Vets can only profit from declaws, so the fact that many oppose it is also telling me that it's something to be avoided.

You've mentioned that your cat was using the carpet as a scratcher. Do you have any horizontal scratchers for her or only vertical? Some cats prefer one or the other. I've found if I keep my cats claws clipped short, it really cuts down on the scratching. The clear adhesive sheets that catwoman707 posted worked well for my mother's cat.

That's a very nice Trump cat you posted, but he has nothing on our own TCS Trump Cats. ;)

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/303720/...e-of-the-month-august-2015-extended-to-aug-20

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats would like to have a stretch and a scratch on the living room rug. We don't have it out anymore because we moved and it doesn't work in the living room anymore, but aside from my cat furniture in every room - the cats really like   which I keep in front of the bathroom for litter scatter as well as really living woven baskets.

It's not them either parting with their fingertips or genitals. They keep their genitals. I've had a few declawed cats. Angel was really bad. You couldn't touch her beans and she bit frequently. Amalie is ok though. She lets me check her toes over every few months to make sure they're still ok and don't need xrayed for bone regrowth and she only bites when you play too hard or rub her butt for too long. Even without her tippy toes, she still LOVES to scratch. She uses the scratching posts all the time. 

we use this
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3261+10345+17724&pcatid=17724
and this
https://www.chewy.com/smartcat-ultimate-scratching-post/dp/49134
and this
http://www.petsmart.com/cat/supplie...y-cactus-cat-scratcher-22008.html?cgid=200016
but we have it covered in sisal and not jute. They changed it to jute a few years ago. I just keep recovering the sisal every year or two like it was when I bought it.

then I bought this when we moved here and had nothing cause the pod hadn't shown up for two weeks
http://www.petsmart.com/cat/supplie...-lounger-cat-scratcher-28930.html?cgid=200016