Questions For Cat Show Ppl

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone. I'm not a breeder nor do I have any experience with cat shows, but I've always been curious about how people get their cats to be so calm in that environment and more so, how you get your cats to be so darn pretty! I know genetics and breeding has a lot to do with what makes a "show quality" cat, but the attention to detail from groomers really brings it home.

I happened to be browsing the site and happened on this thread, just to take a peek at a side of the cat world that I know nothing about. I don't have any cats myself that I could show, but I wouldn't mind picking up a few tips to make them look their best or at least, more agreeable to grooming!

So, if anyone doesn't mind satisfying a curious mind, could you share what you do to prep for a show? I imagine it take a lot of work to promote such beautiful coats. :)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
A big reason why breeders can get their cats to be so calm in the show ring is that they get their cats used to being handled from the time that they’re young kittens. As for grooming, it’s an intensive process! This article gives some interesting insight: What Is Grooming A Show Cat Like?

I myself don’t show cats. I’m just an enthusiastic spectator at cat shows. :)

Someone with more showing experience will probably be able to give us more info.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Show cats are handled and exposed to new sounds and smells from the time they receive their vaccinations. I take mine with me anywhere I can. We even play show. I set up a scratching post on a table along with a cage. We practice taking the cat out - yes there is a specific way to do it! We practice judging - handle the cat the way a judge does and then replace the cat into the cage.
As for grooming, that is breed specific. Some are 'wash and wear' and some require hours of preparation. Just an FYI, you do not have to have a pedigree cat to show. A household pet can be shown for titles. If your cat is not timid, I encourage you to try it! It is addicting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an FYI, you do not have to have a pedigree cat to show. A household pet can be shown for titles. If your cat is not timid, I encourage you to try it! It is addicting.
Haha it's tempting, but Simon can be a little timid (he is a handsome fellow though) and Garfunkel only has one eye, so I'm not sure he'd win anything even though he is cute as a button.

I like the idea of exposing them to lots of things and grooming to really bring out their best. I haven't tried to bathe them yet, although they have hopped into the tub with me (on me) so that's probably a step in the right direction.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Haha it's tempting, but Simon can be a little timid (he is a handsome fellow though) and Garfunkel only has one eye, so I'm not sure he'd win anything even though he is cute as a button.
Cats with missing parts are allowed in the CFA HouseHold Pet category. I've seen cats with 3 legs, broken tails, and yes, one eye do quite well in shows.

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats with missing parts are allowed in the CFA HouseHold Pet category. I've seen cats with 3 legs, broken tails, and yes, one eye do quite well in shows.
Oh, well then... maybe I will consider it after all :) Any tips for grooming short hair and/or getting the best coat for grey and orange cats? :D

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, well then... maybe I will consider it after all :) Any tips for grooming short hair and/or getting the best coat for grey and orange cats? :D
I use Jerob products on my show cats, but they tend to be expensive. When you're first starting out unscented baby shampoo works very well. You don't want to use other people shampoos because they tend to have too many harsh chemicals for the kitties.

You'll want to trim claws on all four paws before trying to bathe kitty (guess how I figured that out :winkcat:). Also brush/comb kitty first so you don't have clumps of loose fur going down the drain. When you finish the bath you'll need to rinse, rinse, rinse, and when you think all the soap is out rinse again.

Cleaning ears is important, too. I usually do that while I have the kitty wrapped up in a towel after the bath.

Where are you located? I think all the CFA regions now have Newbie Welcome programs set up.

Good luck

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
GoldyCat GoldyCat I am in NE PA. I live in a rural town so I haven't heard anything, but then again I also wasn't looking at the time.

I'm also adjusting to kittens. My senior was just awesome at everything, so I never had to really work at anything. He didn't care for baths or nail trimming, but I could easily get it done and take my time to do it right. He was so patient and so tolerant about so much. I want to eventually have my kittens be just as easy to handle, but I know it's going to take time.

I recently tried my hand at brushing teeth. That's something I never tried with Irving (my senior) because I honestly didn't think it was a thing. What really convinced me is that I feel that the more a cat is accustomed to being handled, the easier it is to treat them should anything medical come up. The kittens liked the toothpaste and would chew on the toothbrush, but were not keen on letting me get my fingers in their mouths or trying to actively clean their teeth. They did, however, decide to be big boys and took it upon themselves to use *my* toothbrush, as evidenced by being found on the floor with chew marks. I'm not really sure if that counts as success or not.... lol