Questions About Trapping Stray

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi All. I have been feeding a stray for two months now. I would like to trap it, and I'm looking for advice in that regard, specifically I'm worried that it is a girl and might have kittens?I live in upstate NY. Does kitten season start this early? Would it be better to wait? It's long haired mostly so I can't tell if it's got equipment or not or if it's belly is round. I haven't been able to get anywhere near it. The only progress we've made is it doesn't run away when I look out the door window to watch him/her eat.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Yes kitten season has started. I don't know of any benefits to waiting. Does it have one ear that's been tipped? If so, that means it has been spayed or neutered at some point.

Redirect Notice This takes you to an article about community cats and what a tipped or clipped ear looks like.

For trapping, can you contact a local Trap/Neuter/Release group, or a rescue that might have a trap you can borrow/rent? I've read that the stinkier the food the better (think Kentucky Fried Chicken for example :) ) and once you set the trap out, be prepared to check it frequently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He comes and eats on my porch twice a day. I bought this trap from Amazon: Humane Trap

No tipped ear. I don't know if it's feral or stray.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Tru Catch is my favorite and is used here by the humane animal trappers who are licensed by the state to safely relocate wildlife like skunks and raccoons. Ear tipping can be hit and miss, so don't spend too much time worrying about that given that you are going to trap the cat. The vet will let you know if there is a previous incision or missing parts, should the cat have been previously fixed.
TNR Scenarios: Hard to Trap Cats
How to Catch a Feral or Stray Cat with a Trap

There are numerous videos online as well.
using a tru catch cat trap - Google Search

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Agree completely with Furballsmom Furballsmom and fionasmom fionasmom on all.

First - yeah for you for wanting to care for her/him and to keep kitty from making MORE kitties. It's by far the kindest thing you can do.

The concept of "kitten season" is almost becoming a non-thing virtually everywhere - - particularly as temperatures and weather patterns change. In Ohio we used to have a pretty distinct kitten season that began in very early spring, but our shelter now gets kittens all months of the year. So yes - - - if she's female, it's a big possibility she's already pregnant. If she's a he - he's very likely fathered litters already this year. So absolutely - TNRing her ASAP is best! And it really doesn't matter - feral or stray - fixing the kitty is critical. And on the off chance she/he is already fixed - - the vets that do the surgery will check carefully for a spay tattoo (or just look if kitty is male), so don't worry that they'd do unnecessary surgery.

We've got one of those Tru Catch traps like you purchased. You might want to watch a few videos on that specific type of trap (just google "Tru Catch" and "live trap" and you'll see lots of options) - - and definitely practice ahead (the videos fionasmom fionasmom suggested are great). Once you're comfortable with it - - you'll want to set it out with bait in it with the door wired shut so that she/he gets used to going in an out without being scared. If you need more suggestions as far as the actual trapping-- lots of us here have done it many times, so don't hesitate to ask!

Good luck - it's wonderful that you're doing this - and keep us posted!

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I suggest contacting your local animal rescues and ask if any of them have a TNR program for the feral/stray cats in your area. Buying your own cat trap is a good option, too. I've been able to find used cat traps on Craigslist for about $15. There are some vet clinics and shelters that will spay/neuter the feral cats of a particular county for free.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great note B BoaztheAdventureCat ! In my area, spay-neuter clinics have changed appointment rules/timing/ability to help trap/etc post-COVID. And here - as incomes have decreased, many in our area have decreased the times/# they take in, but have increased the zip codes they offer help to as far as cost. Just make some calls - hopefully you'll find someone that's compatible to your situation. And yes - don't be afraid to ask if they have someone to come help if you need it!

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Success! (And Help!) I caught the stray - the trapped worked perfectly. Now what I'm worried about is the reason. I put dinner out for the cat and it promptly showed up even though it was a little early. Then I come home a few hours later and head out to retrieve the dish and see the cat dashing away. Except this time it stops on my deck and starts meowing at me. It talks to me for several minutes. Then instead of running away as usual heads under the deck. So I go get a flash light and look under the deck and it keeps looking at me and meowing. Normally this stray runs away from my house. But this time it sticks around and meows and meows. Looks fine, not in pain, pees under the deck and settles down. So I wonder if it's having kittens. Run and get a cat house and then remember I have the trap all ready to go. So I set the trap up and in 5 minutes I have the cat. So now she/he is in my house in a playpen and we've gotten purrs and it'll rub up against my hand from the outside. Settles down in the playpen, eats and doesn't look especially upset. Hasn't hissed at all, growled once or twice at first. Definitely a stray. I have been trying for an hour to get a look at this cats stomach. I can't see anything. I have checked every hiding place out in the yard for kitten, but it's not as though this stray just hangs out in my yard. Anyway, is there any way to tell? I can't even tell if it's a boy or a girl. Do you know why it would be meowing all of a sudden. I have not been able to get near this cat since I started leaving food out for it in February. Now it suddenly not that afraid of me. Bottom line I'm worried it had kittens. It doesn't look like it's tummy is particularly large, but it's also coat is kinda long. Anyway sorry for the ramble. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Update: Stray cat not paying any attention to cleaning their genitals, so good sign I'm assuming that kittens are not on the way. Also belly is not hanging down. Biggest mystery is why this cat started talking and trying to connect all of a sudden. Like literally sat there looked me in the eye and meowed for over a minute straight. Didn't run at first when I sat down on the deck to try and get her/him to come closer. When it did run it didn't go far and started meowing again.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is all anecdotal, not necessarily the rule on what might be going on.

On a few occasions, I have trapped a mother who had kittens outside someplace, unbeknownst to me. Backstories aren't important, but in every case I have ever seen, a mom with young kittens is desperate to get back to them.

Meowing is talking to you; cats don't meow at each other. The cat may have decided that you are her friend, especially if the meowing seems quick and cheerful. If it is long and mournful, it can signify illness or distress. It sounds as if this cat has decided that you are a friend which is why he or she meowed at you for so long and possibly why they even went into the trap.

The calmness in your house does not mean that the cat is not a feral or stray. Ferals who are able to "cross over" will often react favorably to being brought inside, as if they are finally safe. About 5 months ago I was asked to do an emergency rescue for a TNRed feral of about 5 years old who was living in an alley. Not only was I able to grab her and run with her (someone had tried to kill her), but when we got to the bathroom I put her in, she acted as if she finally had a home and now sleeps next to me on the bed. Their stories can be very odd and hard to decipher.

Will the cat play with anything like a wand toy that might allow him or her to roll over and let you see the stomach?

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Now that's a story about grabbing and running with the feral!!! We've had a few bad cat bites in my family the last few years, so now I'm afraid, which I hope the cat doesn't pick up on too much. I could probably pick it up but I'm not going to try. Plan is to take it to the vet as early as possible tomorrow.

The cat (so far) shows interest in nothing except being petted and is not trying to get out of the playpen at all. He/She has shown me their belly and I can't see any nipples, just lots of fur. I have also been able to reach under and feel the belly and don't feel any prominent nipples, but that may be because I may not hitting the right spots. I have been feeding this cat two cans of what food a day for months and it's still pretty skinny.

When I pet him/her, they feel dirty with some bad matts. Unfortunately, also can feel a scab on the cat's neck just below the ear. I was thinking I would have the cat tested twice for Feline Leukemia and whatever else is contangious. I have two other cats that mean the world to me and keeping them safe is the priority. Is that a reasonable approach?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I should add that said feral bit me about a year earlier when I attempted to pet her. So, yes, it is something to be careful with in dealing with ferals or even frightened cats.

Isolating this cat and going to the vet tomorrow is your best bet. It certainly could have parasites, or something easily treatable, but you do want a clean bill of health. Let us know what happens!

Sarthur brought up a good point in the other thread about an early pregnancy or heat which could induce affection. If that is the case you will have time to make a decision as to what to do.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah I thought about that she might be early pregnant and I can handle her having kittens. What's going to be a real problem is if she (assuming it's a she) has something communicable. I got a pretty good look at her bottom and I can't see any equipment. But it's so damn furry down there. Never owned a long-haired cat.

I'm just pleased to have the cat inside. It kept crossing the street and I live on a busy street. I set up a cat house in the winter, but it never used it to sleep in. I really don't know how they survive in the winter. The last stray I took in used the cat house I set up and let me pet him a lot well before I trapped him. This trap was frickin awesome: Amazon: Humane Trap The last one I used had a metal plate that the cat sliced his feet on when it went off. Plus it was shorter and I always worried it would get their tail.

I appreciate you all letting me ramble as I realize people do this all the time. Something obviously was making the cat seek comfort. Hopefully it was just loneliness or some sort of switch flipping. Because there was no reason to be out there at that time - I had already fed it dinner. Oh well, enough from me. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh one other question, I brought the cat in at 9PM on Saturday. It has urinated twice, but hasn't defecated at all. Is eating robustly.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"It's so damn furry down there" truly made me laugh! And don't apologize for the questions - - that's what we're all here for!!!

Cats usually defecate at least once a day - so I wouldn't panic yet as she's barely been inside less then 24 hours. And the stress of getting her and bringing her in - any routine change really - could be causing the lag time in using the box (VERY good she's urinated already!). I would, however, get her into the vet as soon as you can (which is obviously a much easier task now that she's inside!) - particularly if she hasn't defecated by tomorrow.

Keep us posted - there are lots of us rooting for you and her/him!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
and if I missed somewhere that you've already got an appointment scheduled - just ignore that part of my answer above. :)

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No appointment, that's the first thing I plan on getting tomorrow. Good news is cat went #2, so we're all set there. Then the cat started meowing for company, even though I've spent half the day in the bedroom with it. So I brought some toys and we played. The round thingy with the ball in the channel was especially popular. I said good night and the meowing has started up again, but I have to spend time with my other kitties. Cat has been living by itself for months and months and now it wants constant company?

It's also has several matts and a pretty mangy looking coat, but at least I notice it's grooming itself regularly.

I wish I could stop being so worried about petting aggression - I feel like it's going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. But the cat is so enthusiastic about being petted I feel that overstimulation threshold coming on. So far not one hiss though.

Last edited:

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dropped off at the vet this morning. This was the only option, they are booked solid weeks out. It's lucky I'm a long time client.

We had a not too difficult time getting in carrier. No agression - very pleased with that. Was relaxed pretty much in car. A little meowing when we got to the vets. I have stopped vaccinating my cats after experience with vaccine carcinoma, but will always do first set of rabies and FRVCP. They are going to take care of the matts. Test for Feline Leukemia and something else I think. Can't wait to see what the bill is; betcha I'm gonna get another $1,000 free stray cat. LOL.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
So far, so good! Let us know what the vet says and how it goes. Meowing for a while inside is not unusual for any cat who is brought in. It will probably resolve as the cat settles in and realizes that this is now home.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good News! No Feline Leukemia, just some tape worms. Not pregnant, female, about four years old, no chip. Now we are home and she is in a pretty large room that I use as an office/exercise room. I took the playpen down but she seemed overwhelmed, so I put it back up and put her bed in there. As you can imagine, she's pretty worn out as her whole life changed in 24 hours. I hope the vaccines don't make her feel sick.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
She may seem lethargic for a couple days, but it should not be anything extreme. The playpen represent security to her, so just leave it in place for the time being. Keep us posted as to how she does.