Questions About Pine Pellet Litter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!
So my city has now issued a new Waste Management rule about our garbage pick up, and has put a limit of one garbage bag (or can), weighing 40 lbs or less, per household, per week.
Well, with three cats, litter can get pretty heavy, especially when it's time to change out the whole box. I REFUSE to pay the fees associated with putting an extra bag out at the curb, so I'm wondering if pine pellet litter would be a good light weight litter option. I figure that because it's basically saw dust, and if allowed to dry some, it won't be as heavy. Any thoughts?
I currently use World's Best, (corn based) but it is still a clumping litter so the weight does add up.
I also don't like the "light weight" litter from Tidy Cats, I've used it before.

If anyone uses Pine Pellet Litter, is it pretty light weight? And does it work well? Also, how is the dust and tracking? Two of my kitties are pretty sensitive to dust kick up. And they are AVID diggers! Seriously, I have seen it where every last bit of litter was piled up on one elimination spot. Our one cat Binx, can spend up to 15 minutes digging at the litter and Lily goes crazy and digs in a rapid fire two handed (pawded?) approach at the litter. So dust is a problem.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Smart Cat? It’s very light weight. I think it’s lighter than pine pellets. If I’m remembering correctly those can get pretty heavy too.

Oh, also, Smart Cat is the lowest dust litter I have ever used. Clumps very well too.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Smart Cat?
Do you know if it's available in Canada? It seems like the pet stores in my area don't carry it.
Or possibly a different brand of grass litter that is comparable?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in Northern Ontario, we miss out on a lot of things that even our southern cities/neighbors get access to. :(
And I hate online shopping, so I avoid that like the plague.

I do have a pet Pet Valu near me, so I'll check it out. Thanks. I'll also ask my local independent pet store owner if this Smart Cat Litter is something she would bring in. Others in my city may want a natural light option for their households also! I'm all for protecting the environment but they make it so dang expensive!
We HAVE to use "approved" paper compostable bags for our lawn trimmings which are 3$ (plus 13% tax) for only 5 bags. Just the spring clean up alone I will use close to 30 bags. (I have a lot of trees)
We HAVE to use "approved" paper or plastic compostable bags for our food and compostable waste which are approx $6.50 (plus tax) for 10 small bags for the paper or up to 17$ (depending on how many) for a box of the small plastic ones (and you can't fit very much in those bags). And you're not allowed to leave anything loose, even stuff that's not gross like a paper cup, or sugar bag.

I can get an allowance for having more than one bag at the curb for pet waste IF I register my pets with the city, and of course there is a fee for that for each pet.
The only saving grace is that there is no limit on how much recyclables and compost waste you leave at the curb for pick up, but it's just really expensive to follow their "packaging" and "sorting" rules. I don't mind the extra work, just the extra $$$.

Sorry for my rant, it's just so frustrating.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How frustrating to have a weight limit! Pine pellets may be a good solution. As you said they turn to sawdust when the cats pee on them and that is feather light. If you use a sifting litterbox it all falls to the bottom box. Just stir the pellets 2-3 times a day.The All Pine Litter Box is made for pine pellets and works much better IMO than sifting boxes made for traditional litter. I just take the sawdust and use it in landscape beds outside. But even if you put it in the trash there is almost no weight to it. You scoop the poop for the trash of course but a slotted scoop means almost no pellets get thrown away. I will empty the whole box periodically so I can wash it. But if you let the pellets get a little low fist you won’t have much to put in the trash. Plus they are not heavy anyway. As far as being satisfied with pine pellets as a litter they are great! Can’t imagine ever using regular cat litter again. The cost is unbelievably low (which justified my getting a better litter box). With a small adjustment period for my two kitty’s they like it too. They never had any accidents out of the box hen we switched. Big added bonus is the odor control. One of my cats is a big digger too. There just ends up being a little mound of pellets when he’s done. Since you stir the pellets anyway no big deal. And if he scatters any out of the box I just throw them back in. No dust hurray. Hope this helps with the trash issue and I believe you will be thrilled with the new litter. Let us know if it works for you. Good luck!

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pine is lighter than clay. I only used worlds best for a brief period so I can't really compare them. I find it dusty when poured in but possibly less so than clay litter. It doesn't track as bad but it's harder to vacuum up stray pine pellets imo. Sweeping pine pellets is far easier than sweeping clay litter though. I use pine in the master bedroom because it's hardwood flooring and smells better than the boxes with clay.

quietdumpling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I find it to be fairly lightweight, or at least a lot more lightweight than the clumping clay litter I used previously.

If you use a sifting litter box there shouldn't be any tracking problems. I didn't want to replace the litter boxes we already have so the sawdust is mixed with the pellets and the cats do track it everywhere. I find that it has pretty good odor control. I have 3 cats and 2 litter boxes. I scoop out the poop but leave the rest and I only have to replace everything once a week.

sashley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How frustrating to have a weight limit! Pine pellets may be a good solution. As you said they turn to sawdust when the cats pee on them and that is feather light. If you use a sifting litterbox it all falls to the bottom box. Just stir the pellets 2-3 times a day.The All Pine Litter Box is made for pine pellets and works much better IMO than sifting boxes made for traditional litter. I just take the sawdust and use it in landscape beds outside. But even if you put it in the trash there is almost no weight to it. You scoop the poop for the trash of course but a slotted scoop means almost no pellets get thrown away. I will empty the whole box periodically so I can wash it. But if you let the pellets get a little low fist you won’t have much to put in the trash. Plus they are not heavy anyway. As far as being satisfied with pine pellets as a litter they are great! Can’t imagine ever using regular cat litter again. The cost is unbelievably low (which justified my getting a better litter box). With a small adjustment period for my two kitty’s they like it too. They never had any accidents out of the box hen we switched. Big added bonus is the odor control. One of my cats is a big digger too. There just ends up being a little mound of pellets when he’s done. Since you stir the pellets anyway no big deal. And if he scatters any out of the box I just throw them back in. No dust hurray. Hope this helps with the trash issue and I believe you will be thrilled with the new litter. Let us know if it works for you. Good luck!

I was wondering if you have a link to your litter box?! I’ve been looking for a good litter box for pine, and I really would like one that could keep my puppers out of it.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
https://www.allpinelitterbox.com/The price is a bit high but I will say I am very happy with it It’s made very durable. I am about to order another Wish I had just done that to begin with because you save on shipping. Check out the site hope it works for you!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Petco in US has SoPhresh grass seed litter that is somehow similar to SmartCat, so if you have Petco, They may have it.
Also, you may want to inquire if plant based natural litter (no chemicals added) can be placed in the compost bin, if it’s used for industrial purpose as I’m guessing it is. I don’t believe it would be the case for poos, but pee clumps could be allowed there. That would at least not contribute to the weight limit.

And going off topic, I know it is frustrating, but it’s so good to hear there are cities that place such waste weight limits. Humans generally think they’re entitled to leave as much rubbish around as they can, so it’s so refreshing to hear it’s not always the case. I’m sorry that you’re dealing with it, and not everyone of us.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, you may want to inquire if plant based natural litter (no chemicals added) can be placed in the compost bin,
Nope, not allowed. The compost is actually available for all citizens if they wish for their gardens and so on, so that's pretty cool. I don't remember how much they charge for it or it may very well be free, I can't remember. But all pet waste is a no go for the compost. I'll double check though just to be sure...you never know, I may have misunderstood. And if that's the case, I'll be good to go, and not have to worry about going over the weight limit.:thumbsup:

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I found the sifting pans too small. Theo gets energetic and pushes the litter over the edge so, I went back to a large basic pan. I have a sifting scoop and i scoop out the nasties daily. He still manages to push the litter over the edge but, not as much.

Kittykat1998

Cat mom of 2 male tuxedo kitties.
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I use Okocat litter and it’s basically cracked pine ( the blue box) and they have another one that’s similar to sawdust (the pink box)
It’s a really awesome litter that’s clumping, biodegradable and FLUSHABLE! That may solve your weight/trash issue! I’m also Canadian and purchase it at Petsmart, other pet stores may carry it as well.
I have 3 indoor cats and 2 litter boxes - the litter box virtually has no smell (other than pine) and doesn’t track too much. It’s the best litter I’ve used imo.
here‘s a link! -Search Results | PetSmart

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Kittykat1998

Cat mom of 2 male tuxedo kitties.
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I use Okocat litter and it’s basically cracked pine ( the blue box) and they have another one that’s similar to sawdust (the pink box)
It’s a really awesome litter that’s clumping, biodegradable and FLUSHABLE! That may solve your weight/trash issue! I’m also Canadian and purchase it at Petsmart, other pet stores may carry it as well.
I have 3 indoor cats and 2 litter boxes - the litter box virtually has no smell (other than pine) and doesn’t track too much. It’s the best litter I’ve used imo.
here‘s a link! -Search Results | PetSmart
Oh! FYI, Okocat does also offer a pellet version of the litter that is also flushable, but all of their litter is made from ‘reclaimed natural wood without added scents, dyes or dust’ and they also have a paper litter.
i know a couple people who use this litter and they all flush it without any problems:)

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use pine because it's safer for the environment and for the wildlife (and me and the cat) and you're right. It turns to sawdust upon being wetted and can be dried back out and becomes.. Well, dust. Lightweight. However, when wet, it's heavy. So I think it'll work; plus you don't have to use very much at all compared to other litter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittykat1998 Kittykat1998 - Thanks a bunch for the specifics! I'm almost out of my current litter so the next one I got I was going to try a pine litter. I'll start with the brand you mentioned, as long as the snow storm that's coming in doesn't prevent me from going into town for shopping.
I hate winter driving.:(