Questions About Orphaned Kitten

ultranerdcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2ish weeks ago a feral cat came to my back porch carrying a little black kitten. She wouldn't let me near her or her kitten so I set up a box with some bedding and put food and water out for her. She stayed but never brought any other kittens. I still kept attempting to tame her down some but she was having none of it. I have a massive fenced in back yard and live in a relatively remote area.

But still I came home from an away trip for work and she had been run over in my "driveway" aka a long road that comes off another "road" in a little holler I live in. I am not sure how long she had been there but I immediately went to check her baby after burying her.

The baby was still alive but was clearly struggling. I took her to the vet who gave her fluids which perked her up quite a bit. She was too weak to feed from a bottle so she was tube fed for a full day. She was severely malnourished and underweight on top of being dehydrated. That was 2 days ago.

She weighs just at 7 oz (weighed 4 oz at vet) and is fed 56oz/ml per day (a little over 14 oz/ml 4 times a day). She will only eat every 4 hours. I tried every 3 hours but she refuses to eat every 3 hours.

But she eats amazingly every 4 hours and in just 2 days has gotten very strong (to the point she hooks her little claws in her box and climbs out!).

My biggest question/concern is she is not pooping. When stimulated she pee's fine but she has not pooped. Her vet said it could be because she had not been fed in quite a while and it could take 3-7 days for her to have enough food to poop and not just have all of her food go to just her functional needs.

I was also wondering if her weight gain is on par. She gained 3 oz in 2 days. Is this over/under or okay?

And is there anything I can do to get her to poop?

I've only ever bottle fed dogs and a baby rabbit and neither had gone without being fed before I got them.

I've ordered a Miracle nipple since she doesn't do great with the store bottles and it is hard for her to latch on to an eye dropper or a syringe. I've had great success with this with smaller dogs and baby bunnies.

But she eats great and never fusses about it. Though when it comes to burping time she puts up a big fuss and I've got battle wounds on my neck from her sharp little claws.
from her sharp little claws.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about exact amounts as far as weight goes but the fact that she is perky and acting feisty is always a good sign in kittens. She's eating good too which is excellent, I'm replying mainly so I get notified of updates as I want to see how she grows! We have some super kitten experts on here who will be able to give you amazing advice and I'm sure they'll be on here very soon!
But also thank you for taking her in, some people would not have been so kind.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I presume momma got scared away from her first nest, and took shelter at your place knowing her enemies wouldnt come after to you. :) Scylla and Charybdis no? She couldnt know Charybdis would be her best friend and save her child.

I understand you know about the rule of 8ml / Oz, because you are following it exactly... :) What kmr do you use?
The gain of 3Oz during 2 days is unusually much. I presume part of it is dehydration. Still, she is better, she is good, whom complains? You even have almost 4 hours to sleep on... You are a lucky one!

OK, pooping. Step 1 is making sure she is well hydrated. Which she seems to be.
Step 2 you can add a couple three of drops of coldpressed olive or rapeseed oil into every bottle. Almost any food oil will do, but the coldpressed are healthy by themselves.
Mineral oils are even more potent, but where to get some which is foodgrade?
There are also tricks of stimulating. For example, instinctively we stimulate after the eating, but for some it works better with stimulation before eating.
Also, there are different techniques. One of them is to do it under running warm water. You hold the baby in one hand, rear end under running wamr but not hot water, and with forefinger of the other hand you tap the private parts and behind - it feels as mommas licking... If course be sure the kitten doesnt get chilled out not during nor afterwards.

If it doesnt helps, there are more tricks, including having a a little sliver of a glycerine cone into her behind. Same glycerine cone as for humans, but you take just a small stripe out of it.
An enema(?) is possible too as the last step, but if it goes so far, its safest the vet does it.

Btw, the vet is probably a decently good one. Most vets knows how to injects fluids, but just a few knows how to feed with a tube to stomach...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ultranerdcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I presume momma got scared away from her first nest, and took shelter at your place knowing her enemies wouldnt come after to you. :) Scylla and Charybdis no? She couldnt know Charybdis would be her best friend and save her child.

I understand you know about the rule of 8ml / Oz, because you are following it exactly... :) What kmr do you use?
The gain of 3Oz during 2 days is unusually much. I presume part of it is dehydration. Still, she is better, she is good, whom complains? You even have almost 4 hours to sleep on... You are a lucky one!

OK, pooping. Step 1 is making sure she is well hydrated. Which she seems to be.
Step 2 you can add a couple three of drops of coldpressed olive or rapeseed oil into every bottle. Almost any food oil will do, but the coldpressed are healthy by themselves.
Mineral oils are even more potent, but where to get some which is foodgrade?
There are also tricks of stimulating. For example, instinctively we stimulate after the eating, but for some it works better with stimulation before eating.
Also, there are different techniques. One of them is to do it under running warm water. You hold the baby in one hand, rear end under running wamr but not hot water, and with forefinger of the other hand you tap the private parts and behind - it feels as mommas licking... If course be sure the kitten doesnt get chilled out not during nor afterwards.

If it doesnt helps, there are more tricks, including having a a little sliver of a glycerine cone into her behind. Same glycerine cone as for humans, but you take just a small stripe out of it.
An enema(?) is possible too as the last step, but if it goes so far, its safest the vet does it.

Btw, the vet is probably a decently good one. Most vets knows how to injects fluids, but just a few knows how to feed with a tube to stomach...
I'm kind of glad for my insomnia right now. Ha. I have no issues right now being awake in the middle of the night to feed her.
I've tried stimulating her before feeding and the only thing she has done is pee.
I haven't tried putting her butt under water but I will.
I've never heard of glycerine cone and tried to find it online but couldn't.

How old is the kitten?

You got very good advice from Stefan. Thank you for saving this baby!
The vet estimates that she is close to 3 weeks old but not quite there yet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would not worry about the pooping too much yet. And try the drops of olive oil first.

The glycerin is from infant glycerin suppositories you buy at a pharmacy. You shave off a tiny piece and insert it. You don't need to do this yet. Give it a day or two.

ultranerdcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah okay. Yeah, I don't know much in the way of human babies.

I forgot to answer the question about the milk replacement. I am using the liquid PetAg KMR mixed with goats milk.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I see you already got some advice from the experts! I was going to suggest a bit of olive oil!
Also I know it is recommended to use the powder KMR. I believe some have issues with diarrhea with the liquid KMR.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, powdered KMR is more reliable than the premade liquid. The only real plus is the little bottles are rather cheap, so it doesnt cost much if you dont need kmr, but want to have some at home IF, so you arent defenceless in the middle of the night... So you can have ONE bottle standing as your emergency reserve.

Goats milk is OK, and if raw may even be excellent.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Great job so far, listen to the experts here; they know a lot. Please post a photo when you can.

ultranerdcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I attempted to find the powdered but couldn't find any at the 2 stores near me. I've ordered some online which should be here in a day or two.

The goat's milk is indeed raw that luckily is not hard to find where I live.

I will post a picture shortly. A squirmy baby is not easy to get a photo of. I have to go through the like 30 I took and see if any turned out. :lol:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Probably best you proceed with just the raw goats milk. Some dilute it a little with water. Later on you can use powder KMr with 3 parts water as one of our forumists uses (Kieka?)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:loveeyes::loveeyes: What a cutie! She looks sturdy enough on her legs - a good sign. If you are using raw goats milk, her body is probably using it so efficiently, there isnt much poop build-up. Thank you for rescuing her!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OOPS! A major faulty spelling. I meant to dilute KMR with goats milk 1:3.

It is of of course fully possible to dilute KMR with water, but the ratio then is 1:2...

Sorry for the mistake. I was thinking if it was Kieka or someone else whom come with this reinforcement. Lesson? Dont think on anything else if you do something which should be done precisely.

Probably best you proceed with just the raw goats milk. Some dilute it a little with water. Later on you can use powder KMr with 3 parts water as one of our forumists uses (Kieka?)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Stefan is correct. Diluting with water means less nutrition, and that is not advisable.

ultranerdcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never diluted any formula with water before. I learned not to from a farm vet years ago. I started giving her just the goat's milk last night she seemed to love it.

No poops yet but the posts here and the vet have made me a little less worried about it. She is peeing great and eating like a teeny tiny horse.

She is pretty steady on her legs a little wobbly when walking but she just started walking not long ago.

ultranerdcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it normal that she makes a chirping sound? She "chirps" more than she meows.

My adult boys do this a lot but I've never been around a kitten this young so I'm just checking that this is normal.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds normal to me, momma cats usually "chirp" or "chatter" to their babies. Maybe your baby is just trying to communicate with you!