Questions about my very young Kitten

Catowner211

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! This is my first time writing in forums for a kitten.

To cut to the chase, I have a kitten that is 3 weeks old and does not have a mother. He was found in my backyard and the mom never returned, so I decided to take care of the kitten.
I have been feeding it KMR powdered formula and been using tap water to make the formula. He eats well and is a playful kitten.

Recently I have noticed that he kinda has a big belly and he hardly poops, the cat doesn't seem to show signs of being uncomfortable but it still worries me. I have called a vet but they will not see my kitten till Friday. I will keep looking around till I find an earlier appointment.
Anyways, I have tried to stimulate him and he does pee, a lot; but he does not seem to poop. The last time he pooped was on 4/19/2021 at 12:15 PM. So roughly yesterday around noon, but it has not pooped since I get worried when it doesn't poop.

When he does poop, it comes out like normal and brown. it is not hard so it shows no signs of constipation. Would my kitten need vet intervention or should I continue to stimulate and see what happens?

I'm very nervous when it comes to my kitten because I want it to live a happy and healthy life and I want to catch any future problems that may arise. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to help :(((

Thank You!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catowner211

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are his sides distended and taut like a drum? If the stools are normal and kitten is comfortable, I wouldn't worry.
catsknowme catsknowme He has a soft belly and doesn't appear to be in pain. But I worry that he may be uncomfortable because he has not pooped in a day and a half. He pees a lot but not much poop, the next appointment for a vet is on Friday and I am not sure if the kitten can wait that long. Im just super worried, I feed it properly and make sure he is warm.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens do get that cute big belly when small, which shrinks as they grow and elongate.

For constipation, you can add 2-3 drops of olive oil to his feedings. This usually softens things up and moves it along. If that does not help, you can shave a tiny piece from a glycerin suppository and insert it. This usually brings on a poop in 20-30 minutes. All your vet will do is an enema anyway.

Catowner211

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens do get that cute big belly when small, which shrinks as they grow and elongate.

For constipation, you can add 2-3 drops of olive oil to his feedings. This usually softens things up and moves it along. If that does not help, you can shave a tiny piece from a glycerin suppository and insert it. This usually brings on a poop in 20-30 minutes. All your vet will do is an enema anyway.
he did end up popping yesterday morning. After constant stimulation. I have been adding olive oil to help him in the future. I worry he doesn’t poop much and will cause problems. I will add pictures of the kitten after this reply.

is it normal for a kitten not to poop as often while on KMR formula?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a normal fat kitten in the pictures. Kittens at that age can be very roly-poly, even when nursing 100% on mom. You are doing a great job!

Catowner211

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lutece lutece Sarthur2 Sarthur2 He's been very playful when it let him roam after having his meal. He likes laying on his back and he sticks his paws in his mouth. Just like a child would lol.

Today he started to eat more from what I have noticed, he drank about 2 Tbsn (half the bottle in my case) and he has been sleeping more than usual. Should I wake him up to feed him again? The last time he ate was about 6 hours ago and he is sound asleep still. I am, never sure if I should wake the kitten up or let him sleep :/

Catowner211

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, wake him to feed him. Six hours is a long time for a 3-week-old kitten.
I will wake him when he has gone too long sleeping. He did wake up a few moments after posting previously and was well fed.

I feel like all they do is sleep and eat!
He’s very active and likes to climb out of the box, which i’ll have to replace with a taller box because i dont want him crawling out unnoticed.
How would I Know when its time to wean him off KMR? Does he show any visible signs?
online states that when he starts to chew the bottle, and i feel like he has been doing that for the past few days.. any advice?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He’s chewing the nipple because he is beginning to cut his baby teeth. They should be in by 4 weeks. At that point you can begin to put a mushy mixture of pate and milk in the bottle. Around 5 weeks you can see if he will lick or eat from a flat plate. He is also ready to begin to explore outside the box under supervision now. It won’t be long and he’ll be running everywhere by 6 weeks.

Here is a helpful weaning video:

Catowner211

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He’s chewing the nipple because he is beginning to cut his baby teeth. They should be in by 4 weeks. At that point you can begin to put a mushy mixture of pate and milk in the bottle. Around 5 weeks you can see if he will lick or eat from a flat plate. He is also ready to begin to explore outside the box under supervision now. It won’t be long and he’ll be running everywhere by 6 weeks.

Here is a helpful weaning video:

thanks! I’ll take a look at it when i can :)

my kitten woke up this morning,didn’t eat much but has a round, hard belly. I’m worried something may be wrong... ima call a Vet in an Hour (They Open in an Hour) and call to make an appointment. Usually he eats alot! But now he had a little bit and stopped eating and wanted to sleep :(
I dont want anything to happen to the kitten. I will get him to a vet to make sure he is okay!
Will Update...

Catowner211

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 Most likely, they did deworm him at the Vet today. After being dewormed, the vet did advise to introduce him to wet foods and gave me recommendations. Specifically, "Purina Pro Plan" for kittens, which I will start to slowly incorporate.

He did go straight to sleep after being dewormed. I would assume it must have been a big relief for the poor kitten.

Catowner211

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:

Still no poop after eating (still on formula) and i already massaged him and tried to stimulate him but no luck. It is an anxious experience i hope to resolve. He doesnt seem to be in any pain, he plays and purrs while i pet him.

i’m not sure what else to do :(

Catowner211

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Go back to my Post #4 and try the glycerin suppository.
Can You recommend me a brand. Im not sure which one to use.

also, where exactly would i insert this Glycerin?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Any brand as they are all similar - pure glycerin. A suppository by definition is inserted into the anal canal. It is not harmful.