Questions About Kitten (clicker Training, Harness, Play, Vacation)

altairose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I posted a few weeks ago that my boyfriend and I have a new, almost 4 month old kitten. She is the sweetest lap cat who loves to play and cuddle. I have a few questions for all you more experienced cat owners.

1) We would like to clicker train her to follow simple commands like 'come,' 'quiet,' 'sit,' maybe also 'off.' We found a couple of short articles on it, but nothing very extensive. Any resources or tips that you'd recommend for clicker training?

2) We would also like to harness train the cat to go on short walks, maybe once or twice a week during nice weather. Is that realistic? Or would the cat demand (ie, aggressively vocalize) more frequent walks?

3) Kitten loves to play. We have a cat tree and multiple wand toys and she loves to chase the feathered bird or raccoon tail at the end as we wave it up and down, including up and down the cat tree and different chairs/tables. We try to tire her out, so it's a lot of up and down, up and down, including some high jumps. Sometimes, I worry that it's too aggressive because we only have hardwood floors, and she's jumping and landing very hard. I've heard about cat arthritis, and want to make sure that what we are doing is safe for her in the long run. She seems to love it though, and is never aggressive with us - only with the toy.

4) Despite the aggressive play, she still gets the kitten zoomies around 4am and wants to play. She has learned to play by herself, kicking one of those small spring toys around the floor. Any other ways to curb the early morning zoomies or time frame for when it might stop?

5) We are going on vacation for 7 days in early June. She'll be 6 month old at that kitten. At that age, do you recommend boarding the cat or getting friends or paid cat sitters to stop by the house once or twice a day?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I will try to offer some information - mostly not from personal experience. I am sure other members will eventually see your post and offer some first-hand experience. Although, I do have particular opinions about your #3, #4 and #5, see below.

1.)How to clicker train your cat – Adventure Cats

2.) Harness And Leash Training For Cats

3.) Don't think the jumping you are describing is going to cause arthritis. As cats age, joint deficiencies (and being overweight) can cause issues. I have never known an incident where too much jumping caused arthritis - unless it resulted in an injury. Just be careful to help out with cushioned landings, at least until she gets a little older and knows her boundaries better. As she ages, she will.

#4) Normally, the zoomies will decrease with age. If she is not bugging you, and playing by herself, consider yourself lucky. Let this play out for a while and see what happens.

#5.) Friends or paid sitters, both of which she should know ahead of time are your best bet. At that age, at least two visits a day. Ideally, a friend who gets to know her ahead of time and can stay at your home while you are gone would the best situation.

Sounds like you are first time cat owner?
First-time Cat Owner's Guide

There will be other members who will come along over the next hours/days and give you some first hand experience, so check back often!!

kitkatgurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can offer personal opinions on harness/leash training and the clicker training.
I began working with my rescue kitty from the very beginning. Vet estimated she was 7-8 weeks old when I found her (she found me really but that's another story)

Clicker training is super easy but do it in short stints. Kittens have very short attention spans. I will work on a command twice a day (once mid morning and once in afternoon) Wait for a time your kitten is calm NOT when they have the zoomies because they are just not going to sit and pay attention.
Be patient. That's the biggest advice I can give you. You might not think it's working and one day- your kitty will surprise you by "getting it"

I suggest reading up on clicker training as for me, I have experience in clicker training a puppy so I just used my knowledge from that time.

You can basically train a cat to do most anything a dog can. Food motivation helps. I have a highly motivated kitten so we have had huge success. I use a treat that is solely used for our training sessions. Using kibble is just like saying here, your dessert is going to be cheerios (which you ate for breakfast) No excitement there right?

I trained her first clicker command "sit" at four months of age. But I had been doing hand signals for come before that. We have a wide range of commands under our belt so far (she's 10 months now) .
Best thing I ever did so I applaud you for taking the clicker training initiative.

I started the harness and leash from the beginning. Never went out of the house without it on. I also have a collar with her tags on it. Registered with the city (like a dog license but the don't call it a cat license just a cat registration) We go so many places, I feel my $20 is well worth me getting her back safe and sound if she got loose. She's also microchipped. And has a name tag with two contact numbers on it.

Make sure you take your kitten out in all kinds of environments to desensitize her. The other day we went to visit a friend in a warehouse and a tow motor came by and honked it's horn. She didn't flinch. She's just gotten so used to noises out in the world that it's no big deal. Take your kitten into any of the stores that let pets go (not just PetsMart) but Home Depot (that's a good one for sounds- just keep a good hold on your kitten and lots of praise) Short visits will also work wonders.

People are always amazed that Maisie is harness and leash trained. I never gave it much thought as to being odd. I just knew I wanted to take her places and well, she needs to be on a harnes and leash, right?

You can DM me if you have any Q's and I'll be happy to answer any questions - seems like I'm going on and on and on here.
I can give you my opinions on cat harnesses (we have gone through three different brands)

The best thing is just starting young and you are there. Good luck with everything :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

altairose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I should mention that she often does not play by herself in the morning -- I (my face) get stepped on on a daily basis and then she either runs off, or uses the bed and bedcovers as her personal hunting ground...

altairose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks kitkatgurl! Your cat sounds amazing! Would love to hear your thoughts on harness, collar, and leash type? She weighs 3 lbs so is still pretty small.

altairose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, do you give your cat baths because it goes outdoors?

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I posted a few weeks ago that my boyfriend and I have a new, almost 4 month old kitten. She is the sweetest lap cat who loves to play and cuddle. I have a few questions for all you more experienced cat owners.

1) We would like to clicker train her to follow simple commands like 'come,' 'quiet,' 'sit,' maybe also 'off.' We found a couple of short articles on it, but nothing very extensive. Any resources or tips that you'd recommend for clicker training?

2) We would also like to harness train the cat to go on short walks, maybe once or twice a week during nice weather. Is that realistic? Or would the cat demand (ie, aggressively vocalize) more frequent walks?

3) Kitten loves to play. We have a cat tree and multiple wand toys and she loves to chase the feathered bird or raccoon tail at the end as we wave it up and down, including up and down the cat tree and different chairs/tables. We try to tire her out, so it's a lot of up and down, up and down, including some high jumps. Sometimes, I worry that it's too aggressive because we only have hardwood floors, and she's jumping and landing very hard. I've heard about cat arthritis, and want to make sure that what we are doing is safe for her in the long run. She seems to love it though, and is never aggressive with us - only with the toy.

4) Despite the aggressive play, she still gets the kitten zoomies around 4am and wants to play. She has learned to play by herself, kicking one of those small spring toys around the floor. Any other ways to curb the early morning zoomies or time frame for when it might stop?

5) We are going on vacation for 7 days in early June. She'll be 6 month old at that kitten. At that age, do you recommend boarding the cat or getting friends or paid cat sitters to stop by the house once or twice a day?
Congrats on a new little wild thing! They are a blast (mostly...)

1. I've never tried clicker training but have a link to an article, in case it's helpful.
Cat Clicker Training - Dumb Friends League

2. I have harness trained a cat, I got a harness that wide enough on the straps so he couldn't wiggle out of it, found it at Petco. He didn't beg to go outside after getting used to it, but loved the backyard. It's a great idea.

3. Will she fetch? My kitten loved it, throw the favorite little stuffed toy mouse down the hall and she would bring it back, over and over. At 13 months old now she doesn't do it, but did till now. I've known of people getting a little fishing pole and putting a toy on the end to send it out and reel it back in jerkily and in fits and starts for play. Also with fetch if kitten doesn't bring it back you can reel it...

4. 4am zoomies very familiar with. If Mooshoo was doing acrobatics on the bed I would take whatever toy she had and stick it under my pillow. Then totally ignore her, covering up my head if I had to. She got the message, but it was a couple of months- 4 months of age?? before she mostly stopped the nightime antics on the bed. It wasn't every night though. I tried putting away all her toys but she just found a scrap of paper or something to bring to the bed..."look mom playtime!!" If it was really bad I'd sit up and say "stop!!!" kind of loud and she'd stop.

5. I'm more comfortable with having someone come to the house daily than boarding. They are in their home then and can do the usual look out the window, play with their toys, sleep on the home bed/couch etc.

Have fun!!

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, do you give your cat baths because it goes outdoors?
No, never. One cat 25 years ago when I had indoor/outdoor cats- Fred- he rolled under a car and got alllllll greasy top to bottom. I had to do a bath then with a grease remover type hand product. Otherwise I would not bathe them, they kept themselves clean enough.

altairose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick update - I have started harness training and clicker training the kitty. For clicker training, I use a target stick and am having an ok time teaching 'sit.' I have some questions as I'm going along

1) The kitty likes to follow the target stick. I'm having a hard time teaching 'come' because I wonder if she's just interested in the target, or can smell the treat in my hand. I can't get her to sit still and then 'come,' because she's generally just following me and the target and the treats around! Suggestions?

2) I don't think kitty loves the harness/leash just yet, though I am walking her throughout the apartment. Again, I'm having her follow the target stick (or else she doesn't want to walk anywhere). Is that a good idea, or will the target stick just confuse her?

3) How do I graduate from saying 'Kitty, sit' using the target stick, then click, then treat to just saying 'kitty, sit' and then treat (or pet, if I don't have a treat)?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a stick. Clicker on one end, little yellow ball on the other.
I did one session just to teach him that touching his nose to the yellow ball would get him a treat.
One session, 5 treats.
And now, I'd like to see somebody carry that stupid clicker stick across the room without him touching his nose to the end of it. :lol: