Questions about house cats interacting with outside cats?

Ann-Marie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The situation:
2 of my 3 cats go outside on leash and harness. There's an outside boy that has been in the neighborhood for over a year - he's no problem. He's friendly and if my cats aren't in the mood to interact with him - the most I've ever had to do is step between them for a second. Any hissing stops - we can continue our walk in peace. Oh, many times he will follow us around, but at a very respectful distance.

The problem:
There's a new cat in the neighborhood. He's uh.... more assertive ....... He doesn't back down, won't shoo away, will try to circle around to get to my cat, without me in the way.

The temporary solution:
Last night I did something that I've never done to any other cat. I sprayed him with water (a spray bottle that I use when I want to fix my hair nice). After initial difficulty I took Panda back in while I located the bottle. And I carried it around while I walked Panda and again when I walked Forest. To took multiple spray's as this was when he started circling and being sneaky. I've felt so bad since doing this though, because I feel like there has to be a better solution. But I and my pets should be able to enjoy our back yard. And this all started right at my door step.

Additional information:
Both outside cats are un-nuetered males and friendly when I don't have a cat with me. Panda is a spayed female, Forest is also female, but she's not been spayed yet.

The question is how to continue to enjoy the yard with my cats now that there's a new, persistent cat in the neighborhood?

Sorry it's so long.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Can you or a local trap/neuter/release group trap them? And until that takes place you will want to either stop walking Forest and/or get her spayed. Things happen and it's better to be safe than sorry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ann-Marie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I do plan to get her spayed. I think I should try to find out who they belong to first before I try to contact a tnr group, maybe. But it's really the new one that has me concerned. Especially since he's even acting so determined even with Panda. Not sure if it could be that he knows there's a girl that hasn't been spayed in the same house. But I don't know.