Questions about diuretics and CHF

sdavis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! I could use some info. I'll try to give background and then ask the questions. Thank you, in advance, for your kindness and knowledge.

My 15.5 year old kitty, Millie, went to the ER over the new year. Was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, had fluid inside and around lungs. They put her in oxygen box (?), gave meds to get fluids to drain, and prepared us for her not to make it. She did make it -- hooray! And we were sent home with Furosemide, which she gobbles up in a pill pocket. They also told us about a respiration-checking app (Cardalis) and said a good sleeping number is no more than 40. (And that if at-rest breathing gets over 55 it's an emergency.) The ER has cardiologist on staff, by the way.

Took her to her regular vet one week later. Vet checked kidney and potassium: so far so good. Took x-rays and saw some "residual" fluid which vet said is not alarming because it takes a while for that to ease out.

Millie is back to eating normally. She is overweight, by the way. She is peeing, pooping, walking around and hopping up, napping, purring (and biting) normally. Inside cat. She only eats wet food. Drinks water regularly. Also likes to have warm water from syringe as I enjoy morning coffee.

Have used the app regularly and rate is 30 or lower when sleeping.

But rate is 40+ when awake. She's had fastish breathing when awake for a long time before needing the ER. Not alarmingly fast but there.

Questions: Millie may have had heart issues for quite a while. Is fastish breathing I notice just part of that, or does it mean she's getting worse? Or am I noticing/worrying more because I now know she has CHF?

I also notice she is not peeing any more than she did before diagnosis and diuretic. In other words, the amount is normal.

Question: Does that mean the diuretic is working well? (That's what my husband thinks.) Or is the med at too low a level?

We don't plan to have Millie go thru ECG and all that. We don't think the information gleaned would affect treatment (and the cost is substantial on top of the rest). We do have an appointment with Millie's regular vet to have her checked. That vet may suggest another xray. We shall see.

Now for the harder questions:

I know one bad thing that can occur is saddle paralysis. This would mean it's time to ease her over the rainbow bridge as soon as possible.

She'll continue on the diuretic, of course. But could her breathing suddenly get extremely bad again, or is that much more likely to happen over time?

Is there anything I have not asked about?

Thanks again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sdavis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can't figure out how to edit post or profile. Millie is not a kitten. She is 15 and one-half :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The 'kitten' notation under your name is for your 'status' with TCS - it based on the number of posts you have, which is minimal. It has no bearing on your cat's age. You will also be able to edit your posts after you reach 20 posts.

Now, for the rest of your post about Millie. I can't answer much, but I will tell you that a resting rate of 30 or lower is very good. Unless your vet/cardiologist suggested you monitor her rate while awake and moving about, I wouldn't worry too much about the 40+. It is typically the resting rate that is monitored.

The rest of your questions will have to be addressed by other members who have dealt with CHF. But, I would imagine no one can truly answer how slowly or quickly her breathing rate might change. Did you ask the cardiologist about the likelihood given what they deem to be her current condition? Also, if you are concerned about the saddle thrombosis/paralysis, please ask the cardiologist what the possibility of that is and what to look for as potential warning signs.

I am glad that Millie appears to be doing very well!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't know much about CHF in cats, however, my father had it, and I believe that it should be similar in humans and cats. Plus I did google about the diuretic. Millie should be urinating more if it's working as it should be. You should let your Vet know that she isn't.

As far as her breathing getting worse, I believe it will come on slowly as her chest starts slowly filling up with fluid. I really don't think it happens overnight. I know with my father, we would notice his breathing start to get more and more labored over a matter of days, then we could take him in and they would actually drain the fluid out and send him home again. But you should ask your Vet what to expect. They can tell you what to look for .

As far as saddle thrombosis goes, I don't know if there is a way to try to preven that or not. Since it's caused by a blood clot, I would think being on blood thinners could help, but have no idea if that is something ever given to cats, or given to cats with CHF. Again, a question for your Vet.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Burt was on Lasix for about 6 years and did fine. I was able to cut the amount down after a while, after asking the vet. If there is any fluid at all around the lungs it will make her breathe faster. I have a younger cat that had his lungs damaged by distemper when he was young and his rate is 80 times a minute. it has been for 8 years. So they CAN live with breathing that fast. as far as the urination, check the 'pee balls' to see if she is peeing not more often, but MORE. Burt used to have them the size of tennis balls. these things usually take time to build up. and now that you are aware of what to look for, you can bring her in sooner or contact your vet. I just wanted you to know they can live for years with this problem if it is managed......

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! Im sorry your baby has CHF
My baby boy does too and was in the same situation 2 years ago April 2019.
What dose of lasix is Millie taking?
Typically they gradually increase the dose if needed...
was she put on any other medications? Blood pressure or blood thinner?
Typically a thinner is used to help saddle thrombosis- plavix is what my cardiologist gave us but after a year we switched to Xarelto ( a veryyyy expensive drug but he said it may work better)
Also blood pressure medications are gradually increased too- like atenolol.
Maybe talk with your vet or have them discuss Millie with a cardiologist.
Here are some good articles i found while learning about CHF
Approaching cases of congestive heart failure in cats
Here is another very comprehensive link
Heart Failure - Circulatory System - Merck Veterinary Manual