Questions about Buprenorphine (Buprenex)

colktree

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Mao is trying his full dosage of this tonight (.3mg) after taking only about half dosages beforehand. He never stays still, so some of it didn't get on his gums (is that okay?) also - is .3mg too much? It seems everyone else was saying .1mg is what they got - however, my cat is pretty fat (20lbs or so). 

nicegirlkitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All

We have had our cat on Buprenex for 3 weeks then switched to Tramadol for about two weeks due to full dental extractions and complications - his pain now seems to be gone so we gave his last dose three days ago and today he refuses to eat and seems to just want to sleep - no purring - not eating or drinking - we have been syringing food to him every 3 hours which he is keeping down - could it be withdrawal symptoms from the Tramadol?

Any experiences shared would be great.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought... and I could be mistaken... but I thought Tramadol was used on dogs, while Torbutrol is used on cats?

I seem to recall my vet has said that Tram will work for cats in a pinch, but she prefers to recommend Torb.

If you had your kitty on Tram for 3 weeks, there may indeed be after effects.

If he hasn't eaten or drunk anything in 3 days, that is grounds for a vet visit in my book.

nicegirlkitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Furmonster! (  :

We stopped the Tramadol cream on his inner ear 3 days ago but he only stopped eating and drinking and looking laclustre in general this morning - we are syringe feeding him A/D with water mixed in every 3 hours and I am hoping it is withdrawal as it may be much more serious if this is not the cause as he is an FIV kitty who we took in off the street about 3 months ago.

He seems to be otherwise in good health but needed his teeth removed due to severe Stomatitis which was a lot to go through - he is a very stoic and lovely fella - if he does not pick up by tomorrow we will definatley have the vet come over - he normally loves his food and this is unusual for him.

Cheers (  :

janeinwva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the info about  how to administer buprenorphine.  I didn't realize the importance of giving through mouth mucus membranes.  That may account for why my Sweetie Pie seems to sometimes get more pain relief than other times.  She has cancer again and since the quality of her life seems to be happy, I said I would not but am going for a third cancer surgery for her.  p.s.  Check out Onsior (only good for 3 doses including, say, day of surgery).  My vet charges $2.20 dose, and I am looking for an online site where I can get it cheaper as I am on a fixed income.  $22.00 is a lot.  What can I say.......  $66 per month is a lot for me.  I'll be watching for replies, especially where can I get buprenorphine cheaper.   (Durned bureaucrats; making it hard to get pain relief for Sweetie Pie....... as well as me.......)

nicegirlkitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi There

Check with your vet regarding Tramadol in a transdermal cream which is put on the inner ear - it works out a lot cheaper for us than Bupren at around .40 cents per full dose for us and more importantly it is really easy to administer - much better for us than needles or oral dosing.

Our vet wrote us a script and we had it made up at a compounding chemist - we had to play around with the dose a bit as the script dose was way too strong - when we gave the full dose he was way too sleepy and sedated - we now give him a quarter of the script dose every 12 hours which works out at .12 cents per dose and it works really well for his stomatitis and sore mouth but doesn't sedate him.

He is now eating again and seems happy - works really well for his stomatitis and mouth pain - when we completely took him off it he was very unhappy and stopped eating and was in some pain I think.

Might be best to ask your vet about this as it may be an option for you - it's very easy to administer and it is a much cheaper option per dose.

Good Luck!!

Cheers!  (  :

janeinwva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the info about tramadol (sp?).  I will check it out.  $22 for 10 days of buprenorphine is a lot for me on a fixed income, but hey that is what beans are for.  I kid you not.  

Today, I was talkng with the human pharmacist to see if I could get it cheaper through them, but will need prescription since this is a controlled substance (abused by humans), and have to find out the strenghth.  No harm in asking the Vet about a script if I can get it cheaper through the human pharmacy.

As you suggested, Sweetie Pie and I have an appointment with a Vet Monday afternoon.  I will ask about tramadol cream.  

The best I can tell is that Sweetie Pie's pain is associated some with arthritis (glucosamine/chondroiten), and recurring mammary cancer.  Sweetie Pie had initial cancer surgery 7/7, then 10/20 and now it's back again.  Only today did I read that if one teat is cancerous, the best chance is to have all the mammary glands on that side removed.

Don't know if you all are aware of Onsior, which shows benefit for only three days.  My Vet gave Sweetie Pie 3 pills @ 1 per day.  After 3 days, it doesn't work.  When I talked with a Vet at the company who makes Onsior, I told her anecdotally, the pre-surgery Onsior reduced swelling and inflamation around the teat that was expressing yellow fluid, clear fluid, and blood. 

After surgery, the Vet gave me 3 more doses at 1 pill per day to reduce pain.  This is when I learned we have to sneak around and see if our companions and surrogate children are "putting on a show" for us when they think we are looking; but are drooping and showing pain when they do not think we are looking.

The REAL QUESTION hidden in all this is:  Sweetie Pie seems to be in good spirits, eats well, comes to me to be petted, does not hide (a sign of pain), and in general is enjoying life with the application of buprenorphine (and I'll check on the tramadol), before she  undergoes a third surgery for cancer.  

I had thought two surgeries was enough, but now I think differently.  If Sweetie Pie was hiding, not eating, meowing painfully when picked up, not coming to me, not walking around with her tail waving like a flag; an upside-down "J" or "U", I would think 2 surgeries was enough.  At this time, I'm going for three surgeries.  My conscience is telling me it is not time for Sweetie Pie to cross that bridge, though in 3 seconds she will be reborn at a higher level.

So, I am waiting till Monday.  I like this Vet in particular because she was so meticulous removing stitches; whereas the Vet who performed the first two surgeries I don't think went far enough, as there are reports that a radical mastectomies taking out all the mammary glands on one side at first sign of cancer has shown success rates, whereas the take out the lumps a few at a time just leads to a faster reoccurence.

I talked to my Vet about chemo or radiation, but when she explained what was involved, (besides the tremendous costs involved), I love my surrogate daughter way too much to put her through that.  My human mother was put through chemotherapy.  I was the only child in state and the youngest daughter who took care of her at the time.  It was a blessing when my human Mother died after all the surgeries and chemo she was put through.

I am sort of getting washed out tired right now, but haven't forgotten:  tomorrow is a New Year.  Let it be the luckiest and happiest year of our lives for us humans and our kitty companions.

P.s.  Thanks again for whoever posted the ASPCA "hotline" number.  I'm putting on my front door where ALL my most important numbers and info go.

Whew~!  I am really get tired.  Chat with y'all later.  Kind and warm regards from Jane in WVa

nicegirlkitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No worries  - they are a worry and a joy all at once aren't they!! When they are happy we are happy.

Our fella was on Bupren injections for about 3 weeks then we changed him to the Tramadol transdermal cream as the vet was worried about giving him so many needles -  3 doses per day - once we got the dose right for him  the transdermal cream worked like a charm!!

All the best - hope it all works out!! (  ;

Cheers!

janet cowlan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey... perhaps he is hyper because he is feeling better ?  We just started our lola on that and steroids for stomatitis. She is not going to get her teeth pulled. We don't have the funds for that. She's 11. Her teeth have always been her weak point.  Hope your kitty feels better..

sulustar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, We have our rescued black cat, Annabel Lee, on this drug for arthritis. By the way, she has no teeth, we do not know why. What I wanted to tell you is our vet referred us to a mail order pharmacy, Roadrunner, in Phoenix AR, Ph: 623-434-1180. Vet needs to call scrip in, then Roadrunner calls you to get payment and address. Shipping is included in cost. Price for 6 months worth-- just over $80. So far we have seen no side effects with this drug. 

treasur04

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Onsior shouldn't be used for more than three times ; once in hospital (before you bring her home) and 1 dose 24 hours later, and another, 24 hours later again. NO MORE !!! NSAIDS are NEVER  good for cats, in the first place, but they are now using a very limited few for up to three days. But they will destroy her kidneys, on top of her cancer, if you continue to give them. And they don't work that good, to begin with ! (Like taking an aspirin, or advil, for a headache). but for more serious pain, she should be getting something more appropriate. Cats' systems can not process NSAIDs the way people, dogs, and horses do. They can be quickly toxic to them !!! 

zahzoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To Toby Tyler regarding the pre filled syringe question; only your vet, or whomever it was purchased from will know the expiration date.

As for the Buprenex, of course cats hate pain medication. What I heard described is a cat who dislikes that "out of control" feeling. Knowing that, your vet must have a good reason for prescribing such a powerful drug and it does sound like your kitty has a lot of pain to deal with. I would ask if he really needs it before surgery, then respond to my vets advice. That's just MY advice though, best of luck to you, and warmest wishes.

lauren glynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ill try to make this as sort as possible. My cat Busker is a special needs, FIV positive FLUTD and earless kitty. anyway yesterday he has having bladder problems, urgency, going in weird places, only urinating a little, so I take him to the vet, they give him buprenorphine plus a few other medications.  ​After getting home he has been completely opposite of his usual behavior, scared, hiding etc. I just want some reassurance this is normal and will wear off as the drug does.

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Casper was just put on Buprerex Transdermal, to help with his pain from pancreatitis (along with early kidney failure, huge weight loss and likely lymphoma). 

Rather than injection under skin or squirting into cheek, he has a transdermal cream that I rub into his ear.

Since I did not see transdermal discussed, I wanted to add it as an option. Possibly it was not available when this thread started.

The amount applied is VERY SMALL. It is important to double check with Vet office on which marks on the syringe to use to measure the dosage as you very gently squeeze out of the tube and onto one of your finger cot and glove covered hand. Remember you don't want this transferring into your skin.

shaz1966

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My penelope is going into have a tooth extracted on Friday,on seeing the vets medication procedure 'metacam' was first mentioned which I refuse to let my cat have after reading some very negative reviews about it sometime ago, although here in the UK vets are using it more+more especially post op, I've requested vetergesic (Buprenorphine) im well aware any medication regardless of what it is carries certain risks but for me this drug shorterm post op seemed the better option although there could well be side affects im hopeing she tolerates it better than she would metacam, it'salways a toughie making the right decision for your feline friend I think as responsible pet owner knowing and trusting your vet is essential they know your cats medical history, underlying problems, chronic conditions, on that with your permission you hope the choose the correct drugs for the animals health and wellbeing...
Cats

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dusty is 16, hyper-thyroid, and last December had a sarcoma removed (caused by an injection at some point in his life). I think the sarcoma is returning, but I won't put him through another surgery. He bounced back after, but this past couple of months he seems to be declining.

Since he seems to be stiff and arthritic, our vet prescribed .3 buprenex, twice a day. It's been compounded into a chicken flavor.

I have no instructions on administering - am I reading to put it into the side of his mouth, and not administer to be swallowed?

He is on thyroid meds also - is this a bad thing? He's only had two doses of the pain med, I haven't noticed any side effects. He hasn't been real active today, but then, he hasn't been of late.

This entire situation makes me sad. I want him to not be in pain, but I want him to enjoy life, too. Any insight anyone can give would be really appreciated.

Last edited:

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
An update on Casper and Buprenex.

I thought I would have my friend for roughly 60 days. He was on Buprenex for a month, when I took him off. This might be different for your cat. His behavior changed too much. I would find him and not see any breathing. His eyes would be open. I could get no reaction from him. Then I would reach down to pick up my friend of 16 years for one last time. He would suddenly be startled and back with us. His behavior changed to the point of wanting and constantly asking for food. Then his pancreatitis would make him not eat. Within 120 seconds, he would be back asking me for food again. That cycle would repeat every 2 minutes for hours. I ended up returning to a work opportunity (actually a necessity), so I knew I would not be there for him every 2 minutes. I made the decision to stop his Buprenex. That was not an easy decision. Rather than 60 days, he has been with me for 130 days. I watch closely for signs of pain. He can jump to the top of this desk, so that tells me a little about his pain level. Sometimes he hesitates to jump down, so that tells me he has some pain.

Each of us reacts differently to medications. The same is true of our feline friends. Don't stop a med because of our experience. However watch for signs from your own cat's situation.   Next week, we visit his Vet again. Fortunately, he knows me well enough to not hesitate to tell me if I am hurting my friend.  

mrsty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, I just paid $75 for a 3 day supply (2x per day) for my cat....I realize the original post is 6 years old but i'd be paying $750 for a month's supply...

charles gropman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

We'll be starting use of transdermal buphrenorphine when it arrives in the mail. How soon does it take effect on average to manage pain?

Many thanks!  >.o.<

Nan