Questions About A Regular Visitor

sharplens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For the last few weeks, I have this cat visiting my patio two or three times a week.

Here are some of my observations and interactions:

- No collar
- Ear not clipped
- Will eat cat treats off my fingers
- Purring during two of the visits
- Meowing during three of the visits
- Will let me pet the back
- Came in and wandered around a few times
- Twice slept by the patio door for an hour
- Come and go on his/her own timeline (no goodbyes)

Picture attached.

I have a few questions:

1. Based on my notes above, can someone tell it is a stray or feral cat?

2. I know gender is hard to tell from a photo, but can someone take a guess?

3. Age?

4. Does he/she look like a pure bred? If yes, which breed?

5. Is it a candidate for a pet? Since it doesn't linger around, does that mean it rather be outside than in a home?

Thanks!

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
1. Based on my notes above, can someone tell it is a stray or feral cat?

2. I know gender is hard to tell from a photo, but can someone take a guess?

3. Age?

4. Does he/she look like a pure bred? If yes, which breed?

5. Is it a candidate for a pet? Since it doesn't linger around, does that mean it rather be outside than in a home?
1. Definitely not a feral cat. True ferals hide away from strangers. This cat has obviously been socialized by someone. Could be a stray, a lost or dumped pet or an outdoor cat that lives close by.

2. Most ginger cats are male, but you can get ginger female cats too. Only way we can help you tell for sure is if you can get a picture of the other end.
;)

3. Impossible to tell without getting a vet to examine the cat. Even then they would only be able to give you a rough guess based on the state of the cat's teeth, but if a cat has been living outside for a while or has any kind of health problem this will make the teeth deteriorate faster than the teeth of a healthy cat would.

4. I'd say this is a domestic Long Hair cat. The majority of cats aren't any particular breed.

5. I'm sure this cat would make a wonderful pet. First of all you need to make sure that he/she isn't lost or doesn't already have a home. You could post on nextdoor or facebook and ask if this cat belongs to anyone. You could buy a cheap, detachable collar and attach a note with your phone number/e-mail etc asking any owners to contact you.

If that doesn't work you could take the cat to the vet and ask them to scan for a microchip.

Are you thinking of giving this cat a home yourself?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most likely a male (though I have an orange female right now), may be neutered is it is, (or young) because it doesn't have the bigger, round, apple cheeked head of a tom cat, and definitely a stray because it let you near enough to touch. A true feral will not come around humans and definitely not close enough to be touched. It looks young to me, older cats have a certain look around the eyes. Not purebred because without papers the question is moot anyway, a DLH or Domestic Long Hair. If it doesn't linger and beg for food, it must have a home somewhere else or more tasty food somewhere else. I would get on Facebook or ask any neighbors out and see if it was dumped. Very pretty cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharplens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The road near my place is windy so I worry about the cat getting hit. And my patio is right by a golf course. I noticed it likes to wander in the middle of the golf course so I worry that it might get hit by golf balls. Contacting the owner via a note is a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

As far as adopting it, although it visits consistently (sometimes wanders inside the house), the fact that it never lingers around, I'm guessing it doesn't like to be an indoor cat. So I'm not sure what to do besides contacting the owner and, if no response, bring it to a vet and have it fixed...then release back to the area. That still doesn't alleviate the risk of being around the golf course and a road.

Punxpunx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Similar to how I ended up with a cat.. keep feeding and spending more time with him (after trying your best thru social media/printing flyers etc to see if he has an owner already). Eventually he may end up spending more time with u inside. If you r lucky, he will be happy to stay inside the whole time after a while. Mine still wants to go out when I sleep but the rest of the time she is usually right by my side

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We found a friendly cat outside and posted everywhere. No owners ever came. She was happy being indoors once brought in and never tried to get out. It's hard to say as each cat is an individual...but it is worth a try.

Many also like just having access to a patio or going out on a leash.

Once a vet checks for microchip and you put up signs and call local rescues, you'll know if he has an owner. There might be a local Facebook group for lost and found pets as well. You can try posting there too.