Questions about a cat I rescued

MaceYoda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I rescued a cat from someone via Craigslist. She is about 5 years old and appears to be pregnant. I am guessing she is going to have the litter soon. I read somewhere that yyou should shave the hair around the cats nipples. However, if you tried to do that with this cat you might get your face clawed up. Lol.

When she rolls on her back, i am unable to see any nipples because of the fur. She is a shorthair, but its so thick I see no nipples. Should I be concerned? Do i need to do anything? Visibly she looks pregnant and she acts restless and is nesting. She is affectionate but you cant overstimulate her. I got scratched the first day I had her. Attached are a couple pictures. I will take her to the vet next week but I wanted to see if others thought she looked pregnant too. Also wanted thoughts on the nipple issue. Lol. Thanks

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello, thank you for rescuing this cat. Yes, she does look pregnant, but you don't need to shave her nipples. The fur will naturally wear away as the kittens nurse.

Some of our kitten people will be along soon, but in the mean time take a look at some of our articles linked at the top of this forum. They'll give you a better idea of what to expect.

;)

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And just so you know, it might not be too late to spay her at this point, if that’s something you feel comfortable with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MaceYoda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, thank you for rescuing this cat. Yes, she does look pregnant, but you don't need to shave her nipples. The fur will naturally wear away as the kittens nurse.

Some of our kitten people will be along soon, but in the mean time take a look at some of our articles linked at the top of this forum. They'll give you a better idea of what to expect.

;)
I am relieved to know I do not have to shave her. Thank you for your response!

MaceYoda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And just so you know, it might not be too late to spay her at this point, if that’s something you feel comfortable with.
I understand. I will be having her spayed after. I will foster the kittens until they are old enough for adoption. There is a great adoption group that can handle the adoptions process, etc.

MaceYoda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: I have her in a big spare room now containing a kennel and blankets along with a heating pad set to low in one area.

She walks around the room, stops and starts grooming herself constantly. Shes licking and nibbling her stomach, hind legs, and back. If I leave for an hour and come back. She is sitting in the middle of the room like a statue looking at me. Once I lay on the floor with her she resumes grooming. Never seen a cat groom so much. Not sure if this means anything, but thought I would mention it. Thanks !

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pregnant cats groom a lot, but it may be comforting to her as well since she’s in a new environment. :)

MaceYoda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No kittens yet. Shes not eating much. She only nibbles on food - maybe a bite or two. A few days ago she seemed fatter on her sides. Today she seems more narrow. I dont know why. There are no signs of kittens yet.
She mostly just lays on her heating pad and when I go visit her she walks back and forth as I scratch her back. She LOVES the scratching, but she is not doing anything else. Not sure what to think of the situation....

MaceYoda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are some pictures of her today which you can compare to the pictures at the beginning of the post.
I have her set up in my garage now. Its about 68 degrees in there. I have a ceiling mounted force air heater that keeps the garage warm. Plus she has a heating pad in her crate.
She was inside but it was driving my 2 toy dogs and my own cat crazy.
Also there is a picture of her in her big litter box just because I thought it was funny lol.

When I sit on the steps by the back door she walks over and rubs on my and purs, but when I stand up she runs back to her crate. I guess she finds me scary when I am standing. Anyways, I am not sure if she is still looking pregnant as she was previously. Any opinions?

Also, I just gave her a full can of fancy feast kitten ocean white fish wet food. First day I had her she at two cans at once, today she just licked the jelly/sauce off the food and then started grooming herself. She wont eat hard food either.

Screenshot_20191205-203618_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may prefer chicken flavored wet food, or perhaps she is less hungry now that she is indoors and stable. :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What did the people you got her from say? Did she have any kittens while she was with them? Do they know anything about her past?

She doesn't look pregnant to me, and has the little pudgy "spay sway" that many spayed cats have. Although older unspayed cats can have that too.

How do her mammaries feel? Any kind of development?