Question...

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat Elsie does.not.like.me. I have never hurt or mistreated her.
She doesn't care for my husband or son either but they can hold her and pet her. If I try she runs or pushes off of me.

Now my 6 year old drags her around, dresses her up... Elsie is her baby and Elsie LOVES it or loves Lydia.

The minute Lydia is home... Elsie greets her. Elsie sleeps with Lyd, if Lydia comes in my room Elsie will follow Lydia but won't come near me. Once Lydia leaves... there goes Elsie.

We adoped Elsie with her sister Ana and "special sister" (kitten from another litter) on the same day. Elsie and Ana were 4 weeks old, Mew 5 weeks old (a month-ish later we adopted Walter who was 3 weeks old).
Walter is 6 months, Elsie and Ana 7 months and Mew is 8 months old.

IS IT NORMAL for a cat to bond with one person (who was barely 6 at the time, not mean, but treats her like a babydoll), be so-so with others and outright not like the 4th family member?
Each cat has a favorite family member, but the other 3 love everyone, not just one.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With all the cats I have had I know that they CAN bond with one person in the household more then the others, no explanation or reason why. Don't feel bad, there is no logical reason Elsie doesn't like you, I'm sure she does in her 'cat way', maybe she knows you are the dominant female and likes your Lydia because she is more of an equal. It's truly hard to say. My husband is always concerned because he is siting there in a chair with no cats and I have them both on my lap! Just accept her for who she is and be thankful she loves your daughter, my cats are terrified of children!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ana who is her sister loves me. I have never had an animal outright not like me.

Lyd actually dresses Elsie up... treats her like a baby. Blows me away Elsie puts up with it, but she just purrs away. Crazy.

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Sasha will only snuggle on my lap, nobody else, but she absolutely hates being picked up. I remember one time I picked her up she turned to my face and swatted me with both paws, either side of my head! I was so shocked but it was so funny it had everyone in stitches. She didn't use her claws.
BUT when my daughter comes in (shes 19) she picks Sasha up, walks around with her, kisses her paws and they rub foreheads??

It might be the fact that your daughter has endless energy and she can spend all her time playing with Elsie and they have built a special bond together.
Try looking at it like they are sisters playing together, both young having fun.:D