question

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The breeder was feeding Scooter Purina Kitten Chow and Friskies canned food for dinner (the canned for a treat). I have already started mixing in Eukanuba with the Purina. I've also been feeding him Friskies canned food at night for a treat. I have noticed it seems hard for him to chew the dry food. What can I do to help him? I remember calling my vet and they told me to mix some water and microwave the dry food to moisten it. I also don't want to spoil him on the canned food. Is it ok to give it to him as a treat? I want him to eat the dry food, not the canned. It's not that he is having difficulties eating, but he prefers the canned. Gizmo wasn't like this, though. Any suggestions?

simon's mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have mixed kitten chow with water for my kittens. I never thought to microwave it. I would just add the water and then let it sit for a few minutes and they ate it. I give my cats canned food as a treat. I give it to them once or twice a week. I give them half the can and then in 2 days the other half. I think it is ok for your kitten to have canned food for a treat but I would not give it to him everyday if you want him to eat dry food. My male did the samething when I brought him home. He only wanted the canned food. Too much canned food can give him diarrhea. Good luck with your new baby.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends on the age of the kitten. Kittens under 3 months usually benifit from the extra protein and water in the wet food. Once they are 3 months old, you can switch them to just the dry food. As long as they are getting the kitten food, they are getting what they need. I tend to use things like yogurt and cheese as a treat.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I think most cats prefer wet food. My cats have tried this before - not touching their dry food and complaining that they're starved
... What I do then is to avoid any wet food for a day or two until I see that they're eating their dry food again. I make sure that they dry food is fresh and not too stale.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Scooter has been eating his dry food.. he prefers the Eukanuba, and not the Purina Kitten Chow that is mixed in. I notice his bowl of food is going down, too, so he must be eating when we are gone at work or are sleeping. He still loves the wet food, though. I've been feeding as a snack, once a day. Anne, I will also try your idea-- lay off the wet food for a day or so!! I don't want him to become spoiled on wet food. :tounge2: