Question Regarding Royal Canin Varieties

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I just wanted to update. Brought him back to the vet today because he has not had a bowel movement since at least last Friday. Did an x-ray, and of course he is full of crap. Hard, compacted crap. Brought him in at 12:30. They also administered more sub-cutaneous? fluids and did not one, but two enemas. Absolutely nothing. They called, and said I can either leave him overnight, or bring him home and see if he has a bowel movement. I opted to bring him home, thinking he might be more "comfortable" at home. Been home 45 minutes and he has "tried" to go 3 different times. Nothing, although the last time I did hear some gurgling. So fingers really crossed. If he does not take a crap tonight, I need to bring him in AGAIN in the morning for more enemas.

Have any of you experienced this, and if so, did it take more than 1 or two enemas to get things moving? I saw the x-ray, and he has to be very uncomfortable. I was not able to talk to the vet when I picked him up, but in your experience, if the enemas don't work, what is my next option?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No experience with this issue at all. But, maybe you should call the vet and ask it you can administer a baby suppository to see if that helps? Even with the infant ones, you might need to shave a piece off. They can tell you how to do it or you can watch YouTube for illustrations.

Didn't go back to read all your posts - have you used Miralax? Maybe ask the vet about that, perhaps in addition to the suppository.

Last edited:

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I am supposed to bring him back in the morning if he doesn’t improve tonight, so I will see what she says in the morning. I just wasn’t sure if an enema for a cat not working was an odd occurrence, but Google did show me others have had the same issue. Just not a lot of closure on the threads so not sure what happened.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. First, a food that has 0.9% phosphorus is actually not too bad. The Tanya web site says to get as close to 0.5% as possible, but admits that is almost impossible to do unless you are feeding the prescription kidney care foods. However, those foods are also low in protein, and it is now the thought process that low protein is not really the way to go for older cats, even those with kidney disease, due to muscle loss that all older cats begin to experience. Tanya's web site also says that it is better to feed your cat food with a bit higher phosphorus count than to see them begin to shun food and not eat as much as they should. I wholeheartedly agree!

Having some canned food, even if you can't wean your guy entirely off of dry, is an added bonus because of the extra moisture. So, you could try some of the lower phosphorus foods and crunch up some of his dry to add to it and see if he might eat some that way. Maybe, at first, use the canned food as a topper to his dry, gradually adding more canned and less dry. If that doesn't work, then consider finding ways to add more moisture to his diet through seeing if he will drink more from a water fountain. as mentioned above. And/or, you can actually add some canned tuna water to his regular water to see if that might entice him to drink more.

Having said all that, initially, cats will begin to drink more to compensate for their kidney function changes, so you may notice him drinking more anyway. It is only when the kidney function is so compromised that they cannot compensate on their own - which depending on your cat's numbers/condition, may not yet be an issue. Watch for more drinking and more pee over time!!

The big take away for you is to take time to read (and re-read because there is a lot of data to digest) all of the data on Tanya's web site. The more you know, the better equipped you will be as his kidney disease progresses. It is also important that you get copies of his blood work results, familiarize yourself with what his numbers are and how 'off-track' any of them might be now and/or may become down the road with future blood testing. More 'knowledge ammo' for you. Tanya's web site has lots of 'guidelines' about the numbers associated with kidney disease and steps that may or may not be needed to help delay escalating issues related to those numbers.

There is a CKD forum - semi associated with Tanya's web site that you might not need just yet, but may want to keep in mind for later. Feline-CRF-Support groups.io Group. They are very knowledgeable, but you need to get familiar with Tanya's web site first, and better understand your cat's current condition.

Come back often with all the questions you may have, there are - unfortunately - tons of members who have knowledge in this arena
I give my cat purina pro plan vetenary diet advanced kidney function nf. The phosphorus is 12%. So I should buy something else?

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Royal Canin Gastrointestinal High Fiber?
Quick recovery

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Royal Canin Gastrointestinal High Fiber?
Quick recovery
Yes, it was the first food we tried, from the vet. Unfortunately it's 16 years of being on dry food and trying to switch to wet. This is a cat that does not even like to eat the occasional treat.

He is back at the vet. Still has not pooped. They are going to keep him all day or until he has a bowel movement. He tried several times last night and once this morning. Poor guy. Nothing. He has now even stopped eating dry food, I'm sure because he feels so bloated. Praying for some relief for him today.

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Royal Canin Gastrointestinal high fiber is dry. I am only recommending this brand because I have tried it and got positive results. Praying for you and your cat for a speedy recovery. Please keep us updated.

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh I see! I have him (well all three of them) transitioning to Hills Science Diet K/D. If this does not work I will definitely check out the Royal Canin. Thank you!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Misinterpret .39
The food is supposed to slow the progression. I am mixing with commercial food. She is at early stages

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who replied to this thread trying to help. Unfortunately, Mozart passed away Thursday afternoon. The feeling of loss and grief is immeasurable.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your loss. What happened to Mozart sounds like what happened to my prior male. Fed dry food all his life which ended up causing hard dry stools as he got older. I learned my lesson about feeding 100% dry food and will never do that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.