Question: Ragdolls and Declawing

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to join Vikki in inviting you to stick around. Both the archieved and the currently active threads here contain excellent information on the health and behavioral issues of cats. Reading through these threads is a good way for you to better educate yourself and prepare for future ownership. Also, please feel free to join us in our discussions in the lounge.

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Jenk - Yes, when we let the rats out, they often mingle with my two cats. We have taught the cats that the rats are off limits, and by now they're all used to each other. In the beginning, we had to be very careful, of course, especially since the rats were just babies when we got them. Keep in mind that I have two VERY laid back cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Everyone, for being so kind. I admit that, after the first few responses to my declawing post, I felt somewhat attacked. But then I realized that I am in the same position in which I see many new bird owners (not fully up to speed with the care of a particular species).

I have time to learn as much as I can because we won't be getting a Ragdoll until December (or later). Anyone who knows me will vouch that I am beyond thorough about preparing myself for a new family member. Just today, I read a 64-page book on Ragdolls in one sitting. I know it will not be my only book. I will hang out with the cat folks here, garnering as much knowledge as I can about life with cats. (I was raised with dogs and was introduced to birds at age twelve. I've never owned a cat before.) And I will keep in contact with various breeders, although one's kind, informative and timely responses puts her at the top of my list.

So as long as no one minds a "bird" person hanging out for now...

Take care,

Jenk

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not at all, Jenk. We are glad to have you. I would say that the 2 major goals of TCS are education and friendship. Welcome!

And to give an answer to your question....I don't personally use Soft Paws, but from what I saw of the application, it is much like what is done to clip the cat's claws. I do that myself. As with all beings, one cat is more cooperative than the other. But I did start with one in kittenhood.

wibble

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the cat site

I am certainly not as knowledgeable about cats as others here, and I dont think they do the soft paws in not so sunny England but I seem to remember reading on a site about them that if you have difficulties applying the soft paws at the vets.

This may be more costly but sounds like an easier solution if you have any difficulties doing it yourself.

galensgranny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A cat does not need claws to kill a bird. Biting it's neck and shaking it until it is dead is how a cat kills a bird. A cat can pounce on and hold down a bird with it's paws (even without claws) and body. It's not so much that there is something in the saliva that will kill the bird, it is puncturing the bird's skin and maybe hitting a vein that will kill the bird, along with shaking it to break its neck. Then of course, the cat might eat the bird, so then it will really be dead. So, cutting off the ends of a cat's paws will not stop the cat from killing or injuring birds.

BTW, your saliva will kill birds also. The saliva of all mammals has bacteria that will kill birds. So, for example, you cannot take a bite of a piece of fruit and then offer it to your bird to eat.

Birds are natural prey of cats. Unless the cat was raised with and trained as a kitten to not see birds as prey (which likely will not be 100% effective anyway), birds need to be kept totally secure from meetings with cats. Natural instincts are very strong so even if you think a cat has been trained not to hunt birds, you can never be sure it won't happen.

As to your supposition that some vets might "declaw" (really should be called detoe) humanely, cutting off the ends of an animals toes is not humane, no matter who does it. Unlike humans, cats walk on their toes. When the ends of their toes are amputated, they cannot walk as God/nature created them to walk. This throws their bodies out of natural alignment, and does cause sore muscles, at first anyway. Cats use their claws to hook into something (hopefully that will be a rough textured, tall scratching post) to pull against to stretch their shoulder muscles to work out tension. Isometric exercise, it is called. Without claws, they cannot do that. The poor declawed cats then can't even work out the tension in their muscles that declawing has caused due to forcing them to walk in an unnatural alignment.

I have five cats, and many scratching posts/pads in several rooms. My cats do not scratch my furniture. You need to get some horizonal and some vertical scratchers. They need to be in the rooms the cats frequent, not just in one place. My cats love their scratchers, and use them numerous times daily. They really like the cheap corrugated cardboard scratching pads sold even in grocery stores.

I am so glad that you are seeking information before getting the cat. That is very responsible and caring.

ozzie72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
iff you dont want a cat which comes with claws,get a gerbil!
declawing: why get a cat iff you are going to de-cat it? because that's what declawing is! i cannot believe how blaze' some people are about this deplorable,inhumane practice,have you ever wondered why this practice is BANNED in most countries,as it is here in Australia.
When i first heard about de-clawing i thought it was someone posting a sick joke,i didnt think so called loving cat owners would inflict this on their poor defencless cats.
the fact is cats do scratch,but most learn to use scratching posts and the ones who choose your "precious" furniture they can be "easily" taught to use their posts.
like i said before a cat comes with claws,they are not an indespensable part of their anatomy,that should be removed by their selfish and lazy owners. i could not live with myself iff this operation was done on one of my beautiful cats,they are much more important to me than a piece of furniture.
you said you dont like the feeling of a cats claws on your skin,for god's sake why on earth are you getting a cat??????
i truly hope this ragdoll breeder has the common sense and love for her cats not to sell it to you but instead give her to a caring home who would not even dream of putting an animal thru this disgusting practice.
when is America going to wake up and BANN declawing????????????
iff you truly love cats you would'nt ever think about declawing it!
love and declaw just do not go together.

christine

jenk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i truly hope this ragdoll breeder has the common sense and love for her cats not to sell it to you but instead give her to a caring home who would not even dream of putting an animal thru this disgusting practice.
Ozzie,

Before you jump down someone's throat, you should view the *entire* list of posts. If you would've read farther down, you'd have seen the kind/ informative responses to my post, as well as several of my own posts indicating that I *will not* declaw my future FID (furry kid).

Remember: You draw more flies with honey than with vinegar. If you want to educate, do so. But when you allow rage to conduct your message, you lose your audience. Your rash judgment of me as being a non-caring pet owner (printed above) is blatantly false and uncalled for.
You'd have known that if you'd read more than just the first post. I'm just glad that not everyone on this site is so rash to judge and flame people needing honest information.

Jenk

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ozzie, Lets try to avoid flaming other members when we post. We know that declawing is a sensitive issue, but you can make your point in a polite manner rather than being offensive to others.

If the flaming continues the thread will unfortunately have to be closed.

Thank you.

bodlover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just wanted to add here that not everyone knows what de-clawing involves, not everyone knows that something their vet might recommend could be harmful to their cat.... EVERYONE has to learn Ozzie.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As one who was initally "harsh" on Jenk in the beginning of this thread, I feel I have to say something here to Ozzie.

Ozzie, if you read the entire post, you will see that Jenk's does indeed care about her future kitty. She came here looking for advice, and when I jumped her (sorry Jenks) she maintained her cool and dignity. If you read the entire post (I know I am repeating myself here but it is early and b.c before coffee) You will see that Jenk's received an education of sorts and has decided not to declaw! Thank you again Jenks.

As for flaming all American cat owners for not banning declawing, there are many cat owners who abhor the very idea. It is a money-maker for the veterinarians, and a lazy way to go about *training* a cat to save a few pieces of furniture and to appease a bad landlord. Many of the breeders will stipulate when you purchase a pure-bred cat or kitten that UNDER no circumstances will they allow de-clawing.

These forums were put up to educate and not in-flame. Yes, I broke that rule in my post above to Jenks when she first came here. But I have been working with a lady who declawed her cat because he was scratching her leather furniture. Now, this poor cat is confined to a cage because of what he endured and he has major behavior issues now. When I read Jenks original post, it had been just a bad day for me.

As a moderator here, I have to say that if anymore flames come up in this thread. The thread will be locked. I would hate to have that happen as it is a good, yet sensitive matter under discussion with learning going on from all sides.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just wanted to add here, Jenk, that I am so very very glad you have changed your mind about declawing!!!
This is what this site is all about...informing people and helping people with their cat questions. That is by far the most important thing about this site. Way more important than the "fun" we have in the lounge and other forums, (although I really enjoy that part) the main thing here is to educate.
I'm so glad you got the information you needed here!

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of the best things about The Cat Site is that we can have discussions about uncomfortable issues without resorting to flaming and name-calling. This is a friendly site and we want it to stay that way!

And...people don't learn very well when being verbally abused and harassed. If you want to change someone's beliefs, being nasty and cruel will never work!

jenk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hissy,

As I've said before, I did initially feel attacked by a few posters. But rather than allow myself to panic/ retaliate, I sat on the information I received. In time, I realized that the emotional responses I received come from good intentions. Declawing is a very upsetting procedure for many cat lovers. On the flip side, I'd be upset with bird owners who don't clip their birds' wings (it's quite an important safety measure). So, from past--though different--experience, I could understand where cat folks were coming from.

I would like to state once more that I *will not* declaw our future cat (nor any other future cat who many share our home). I will work on my concern about kitty claws presenting themselves without warning.
I can live with birds who, due to hormonal fluctuations, bite (or try to bite) me from time to time. I accept this as a normal part of their nature; I know that I can--and will--accept our kitty's claws as a part of his nature.

I again offer my thanks to all those people who set me straight and, then, heard me out. :baloon:

Take care,

Jenk

Originally posted by hissy
As one who was initally "harsh" on Jenk in the beginning of this thread, I feel I have to say something here to Ozzie.

Ozzie, if you read the entire post, you will see that Jenk's does indeed care about her future kitty. She came here looking for advice, and when I jumped her (sorry Jenks) she maintained her cool and dignity. If you read the entire post (I know I am repeating myself here but it is early and b.c before coffee) You will see that Jenk's received an education of sorts and has decided not to declaw! Thank you again Jenks.

As for flaming all American cat owners for not banning declawing, there are many cat owners who abhor the very idea. It is a money-maker for the veterinarians, and a lazy way to go about *training* a cat to save a few pieces of furniture and to appease a bad landlord. Many of the breeders will stipulate when you purchase a pure-bred cat or kitten that UNDER no circumstances will they allow de-clawing.

These forums were put up to educate and not in-flame. Yes, I broke that rule in my post above to Jenks when she first came here. But I have been working with a lady who declawed her cat because he was scratching her leather furniture. Now, this poor cat is confined to a cage because of what he endured and he has major behavior issues now. When I read Jenks original post, it had been just a bad day for me.

As a moderator here, I have to say that if anymore flames come up in this thread. The thread will be locked. I would hate to have that happen as it is a good, yet sensitive matter under discussion with learning going on from all sides.
[/QUOTE