Question Of The Day - Wednesday, September 9th!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, it's 09/09/09! I've heard that this is one of the most popular days for weddings! I wonder how many women will try to talk their doctor into a C-section today?

Today's Question Of The Day is related to this darn cold that I seem to be coming down with.
I think it may have been asked before....but with the swine flu scare going on, I hope it's still relevant!

Do you normally get a flu shot or pneumonia shot every year? Do you plan to get a flu shot this year?

I've been reading a bit about the swine flu. The CDC wants healthcare workers to get the flu shot. I'm very hesitant to jump on the band wagon. I remember the fiasco of the swine flu shots in the mid '70's. I'll probably take my chances and stay un vaccinated.

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never gotten a flu shot and don't intend to. I take pretty good care of myself and get a cold maybe once a year if that much.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've gotten the flu shot in prior years, but last yr we didn't and I don't know if we will this yr or not.

If the pnemonia shot was available for me, that one I would get as ever since getting it once, I've been prone to it. Though hopefully that decreases since quitting smoking.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've pretty much been ordered by the COPD clinic that I need to get the flu shots every year and the pneumonia shots every 3 (think it is 3 - could be 2). When I was there last week she also told me that if I get sick with a cold that I'm to run, not walk to the nearest walk-in clinic if it is after my doctor's office hours. So yes, I'll be getting all the shots.

That's what smoking for 49 years can do for you. I've destroyed my lungs.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I won't be getting any shots. I have never gotten one and haven't gotten the flu-at least in the winter

I work in a dental office and find MOST people don't really want to come to the dentist when they are sick so we don't come in contact too much with illness thankfully....

**Knock on Wood**

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I get the flu shot because my doctor makes me
. Other years I didn't but 2 years ago pregnant, last year child under 1, this year child under 2 and pregnant.

I'm sure I'll be stabbed with the swine flu shot the moment I walk into the doctors office & it is available.

In other years I didn't get it because I'm a healthy young person & a little flu wasn't giong to do much more then give me a few sick days of work
. Now I've got little guys to think about.

Hubby will be getting it too.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Nope. I don't get either.

Honestly, I've never been offers a pnemonia shot, and I refuse the flu shot because my family falls in the very small percentage of people that it makes sick. My brother got it for 2 years running and was sick for at least 2 weeks after each shot, same with my mom so I figure it's not worth the risk - I'll just be careful and take care of myself.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I will be getting a flu shot this year.

I started getting flu shots about 10 years ago and I do believe they have helped. Prior to that I would get sick with a cold or the flu at least 2-3 times a year. Since I started getting them I get maybe a cold every 2-3 years and the flu about the same.

Also I have several elderly relatives whom I visit on a regular basis and a sister with a compromised immune system I wouldn't want to take the chance of me getting the flu and giving it to them. You know the old saying "Rather safe then sorry"

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep - I get the flu shot every year, and have for many years as I have a tendency to get pneumonia pretty easily....I can get the H1N1 vaccine as well, but not sure its necessary, will probably get it though at the same time as regular flu shot....I hate needles!!!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get the flu shot every year as my Dr. recommends this. DH had one last year because of his COPD but we don't know if he will get one this year as he quit smoking! It has been 4 weeks since his last cigarette! I am so proud of him!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Februa

Yep - I get the flu shot every year, and have for many years as I have a tendency to get pneumonia pretty easily....I can get the H1N1 vaccine as well, but not sure its necessary, will probably get it though at the same time as regular flu shot....I hate needles!!!
I'm pretty sure I'll be required to get the regular flu and the H1N1 shot as well. I had the pneumonia one in January when I was hospitalized so I don't think I need another of those for a couple years. I'm still not sure about the H1N1 since I was born before 1958 and apparently those of us born before then have been exposed to that particular strain of flu and have built up immunities against it.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Wow, it's 09/09/09! I've heard that this is one of the most popular days for weddings! I wonder how many women will try to talk their doctor into a C-section today?

Today's Question Of The Day is related to this darn cold that I seem to be coming down with.
I think it may have been asked before....but with the swine flu scare going on, I hope it's still relevant!

Do you normally get a flu shot or pneumonia shot every year? Do you plan to get a flu shot this year?

I've been reading a bit about the swine flu. The CDC wants healthcare workers to get the flu shot. I'm very hesitant to jump on the band wagon. I remember the fiasco of the swine flu shots in the mid '70's. I'll probably take my chances and stay un vaccinated.
Used to when I had health insurance.......... no more

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Have you read how they're likely going to be using adjuvents to basically "stretch it" so that there's enough for people who want it?
Anyone who cares about their cats enough to look up what's in their vaccines and what typically causes problems should be familiar with adjuvents. The same is true for people, adjuvents can increase the chances of reactions to the vaccines.

I don't get any vaccinations. I have some health issues already and have noticed that I'm becoming more sensitive to certain medications. Due to this I don't believe it would be a good idea to risk them.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, both hubby and I get our flu shots every year. He was an ER nurse for many years, so got one to protect himself, and I worked in a huge office where people were always sick, and ever since we started getting the shots, neither of us ever got the flu. I definitely recommend them.

Unfortunately, now that we are retired, we are both in high risk groups, so we get them for different reasons. OH well, it beats the alternative.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't get the flu shot, and don't plan to start, either the regular one or H1N1.