QUESTION OF THE DAY, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 2021

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
i don't want to jinx it but the weather here has been gorgeous lately so I've been spending more time outdoors. Yesterday I had lunch later than usual so I was not as hungry at dinner and made a large salad. I usually put fresh veggies in my salad, e.g. zucchini, mushrooms, red pepper, green onions, avocado and sometimes fruit or grains, e.g. strawberries, quinoa or brown rice on the bottom. DH prefers the opposite, e.g. cheddar cheese, bacon bits and croutons.
IMG_1292.jpeg

Which brings me to my QUESTION OF THE DAY - WHAT DO YOU LIKE IN YOUR SALAD?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with your husband. Bring on the cheese, bacon bits and croutons. Not much of a veggie person but I do like cucumbers on salads too.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No lettuce, lol. Ok, fine, baby lettuce is acceptable, but not the watery crunchy kinds like romaine or iceberg. So baby greens only. At home I just have baby greens, dressing, and a handful of shredded cheddar. At a restaurant I want it all! Croutons, cheese, avocado, boiled egg, various veggies, and all that frippery. Bacon bits ONLY if very crisp; chewy bacon makes me gag.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Everything but the grains. There is amost no wrong answer here. :lol:

We used to eat a lot of salads but have stopped. I didn't think I really overdid the cheese or dressing; but I dropped 10 pounds without trying when we stopped eating them. And my gut is actually happier.

I will still get one occasionally. There is a local restaurant that makes an awesome buffalo chicken salad. They toss crispy chicken bites in buffalo sauce but also put chunks of blue cheese, a sliced egg and a lot of other veggies and things on the salad. It's REALLY good and actually filling and satisfying. They also make an amazing Greek salad complete with stuffed grape leaves.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually my salads always include chick peas (garbanzo beans), romaine lettuce, hard boiled egg, cheddar cheese, and crispy won Ton strips. Dressings, meats and other veggies vary depending on what appeals to me at the time.

My favorite salad used to be offered at Fridays. Pecan crusted chicken salad. It had celery, pecans, mandarin oranges, dried cranberries and pecan crusted chicken in it with a balsamic dressing. I will occasionally make it at home but it’s not the same

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We love my 7-layer salads (which are usually more than 7 layers): lettuce, onion, celery, peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, bacon, hard-boiled eggs, carrots, peas. A “frosting” of mayonnaise, mustard, etc, kind of like for a coleslaw dressing to cover the entire salad. And topped with shredded Cheddar.
My brother and sister actually fight over this salad leftovers.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Romaine lettuce (middle rib removed)
Spinach
Tomatoes
Cucumber
Red onion
Olives
Carrots
Feta or blue cheese crumbles
Croutons
Pepperoncini
Vinaigrette dressing

Not a fan of meat in salads unless it's like tuna salad, ham salad, etc. Not in my green salads. No fruit, nuts or hard boiled egg, either. Scientists can say what they like. Tomatoes identify as vegetables.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll eat interesting salads with fruits and grains. Cheese and bacon are amazing.

As long as there are no tomatoes in it. Or olives. Or cilantro. There's probably a few other things, but it's more I'll try any combination that doesn't involve foods I hate.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Iceberg lettuce, blue cheese, olives, red onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, bacon bits, chick peas or black beans, avocado, mushrooms and chow mein noodles. Ranch or vinaigrette dressing.

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never liked salad, but I know I don't eat enough vegetables and I've become increasingly convinced that eating salads is an easy way to eat more vegetables. So I've been asking my friends who are good cooks to send me the easiest salad recipes they have--maybe I'll find a few that I like and that'll help me eat more vegetables.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I have salad at home, I go with romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, bacon, croutons and in the rare times I have it, I also like goat cheese in it with ranch dressing.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm also of the opinion that salads are the easiest ways to get your veggies. Unfortunately, they seem to be a PITA to make, what with the number of ingredients needed to make a good one and the fact they spoil relatively fast. I usually get a bunch of pre-fab salads at Kroger's and doctor them up.

My usual additions include capers, sliced black olives, tomatoes and some croutons.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably easier to say what I don't like in my salads,and that would be spinach and eggs.I love spinach cooked and as an ingredient...as for eggs,well...just no.I love what I call my kitchen sink salads and as for dressings,my favorites are bleu cheese and a zesty italian,sometimes a good ranch is okay.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My salads are a meal in itself; usually my supper.

Romaine, cherry tomatoes, celery, black olives, cucumbers, sometimes radishes. I always put protein of some type: boiled egg or chicken, cheese: feta or tiny cubes of cheddar. Croutons are occasional.
For dressing, I usually use just plain balsamic vinegar and EVOO.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm definitely not a salad person 😅 I don't think I've ever really had one. But I'd go for fruit salads, since they tend to have a lot of things in them that I like. I'm just not a fan of vegetables

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I love all salads..found an amazing dressing on Amazon..Breanna's...so good.