Question of the day Wednesday September 2

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A few days ago we finally had some cooler weather, and Poppycat was thoroughly enjoying his supervised backyard time with repeated zoomies, rolling around in the grass and generally being a supremely happy cat :)!

Do your cats react to weather changes?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boone and Gracie have no idea the weather is changing. They haven't been outside since I got them in late May. :lol: They have recently discovered the fun of jumping at bugs near the sliding glass windows. It will be interesting to see their reactions to snow if we get any.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really. Living where we do, outdoor excursions are out of the question, and with central air, there are no big temperature swings. That said, when weather permits and the windows can be opened, they make a beeline for the sills and lounge there. Ditto for when the sun is shining.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Cal loves cool weather. Yesterday it was in the 50s early morning and she went on a very long
walkabout; 1:45 mins!! She seems fearful of daylight. She came back with seed-like things
inbedded in her fur and also some trigs, hee, hee. She was very happy but then she pooped
right away after I had cleaned the litter box first thing, silly girl.💖

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Yes. They definitely love the cooler weather. It's been unholy hot this summer and very humid. Right now, it's much cooler and they're zooming around and carrying on. They seem hungrier, too. Although Mollipop doesn't go outside (unless she's in my arms), as the months go well into the fall season, she will get fuzzier. She's the only one who does. Her fur will get thicker and she'll turn into a fuzzy little girl. They tend to eat more, too, as the weather cools.

We don't have central AC....we just have fans.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Their outside time is in the enclosed screen room. They do hate when it rains and if it does rain when they want out, I get scolded because clearly I should have known when they wanted out and had it cancelled.

Our cooler weather is still months away. I've never noticed if they prefer it or not though.I don't think they care either way.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes. They definitely love the cooler weather. It's been unholy hot this summer and very humid. Right now, it's much cooler and they're zooming around and carrying on. They seem hungrier, too. Although Mollipop doesn't go outside (unless she's in my arms), as the months go well into the fall season, she will get fuzzier. She's the only one who does. Her fur will get thicker and she'll turn into a fuzzy little girl. They tend to eat more, too, as the weather cools.

We don't have central AC....we just have fans.
Yeah. Having central AC makes all the difference. When DD was still in HS, ours went out one day. Mid August, of course. The repairman couldn't get there until the following morning. DD was home, I was at work. She opened up all the windows and put the box fans in them. When I got home, it was 93 in the house and the cats were panting. DD jumped ship and went to a friend's house. :rolleyes2:

When I got home, I put one of the window AC units up in the living room. I put a chair in front of it to make sure it didn't move. As soon as that chair was in place, Sophie was on it. Flat on her back, belly up in the air. The repairman came pretty early the next day and it was quickly fixed. She pretty much lived on that chair until the house cooled down.

Sophie gets a winter coat but Lilith does not so I get that. She gets so fluffy that she looks like she's waddling when she walks away. She looks downright chubby. I can already see it starting to come in and it's hot as hades here.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Although Carleton is an indoor only cat he enjoys summer when it's cool enough to leave the patio door open and he can see/hear the birds through the screen. Otherwise being longhaired he definitely appreciates cooler weather just like his mom. ;)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have central AC....we just have fans
Ugh I'd die without central AC. Is it low humidity there? The summer humidity here is so high I think I might drown in my sleep without AC, lol. It's starting to dry out. . .I might be able to sleep with the window open soon.

My cats mostly don't seem to notice weather changes, but some of them do get much thicker coats in the winter. And the dogs definitely prefer cooler weather.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
She gets so fluffy that she looks like she's waddling when she walks away. She looks downright chubby. I can already see it starting to come in and it's hot as hades here.
Awwww..I bet she looks adorable.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow love it because the windows can be open again and there are lots of bugs that need to be observed late into the night.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
none of my cats seem to notice any changes in the weather. they were inside and outside cats. when the weather was nice i would open the windows and they would love to get in the windows and look outside in the fresh air'

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Suki loves to be warm. She likes to lay in the sun in the windows on the south side of the house. She should really enjoy the next couple of weeks. It is supposed to be in the 90s :eek: I have a heating pad set up in my computer room under a soft bath map for her to lay on if we ever get cooler weather and the usual fall and winter rains.
j

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
The only behavior change I notice is that none of them will sleep in their cat beds in the summer, even the cat bed I keep on the corner of my bed. Mocha sleeps next to it on the bedspread. Yet they will sleep in the full sun in their cat trees. :dunno: I do have A/C as well as ceiling fans in the living room and bedrooms.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They love having the windows open in the summer. That's about the only difference I notice with them.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We don't have A/C, and Mowgli hates hot weather. He won't venture outside on his balcony, and indoors he plops in front of fans and meows for us to turn them on. He also avoids windows getting direct sun. In winter he tends to spend a lot of time on the window perches above the radiators and only goes outside for a couple of minutes at a time.