Question of the Day, Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you like poetry?  Have a favorite poet or poem?  Who or which, and why?

I love Ogden Nash.  He plays with words the way children play with leggos, building things you never thought of.  An example:

Pity Mr. and Mrs. Bryon

Bryon was eaten by a lion.

Upon which time the lion's lioness

Upped and devoured Bryon's Bryoness.

you just have to love a man whose mind works like that!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I love Ogden Nash.  He plays with words the way children play with leggos, building things you never thought of.  An example:

Pity Mr. and Mrs. Bryon

this is a very interesting question! 

i've read poetry before, but never came across any that really caught my interest. now, Ogden Nash......his work sounds like i'd really enjoy it. i'll have to see if i can find a book of his poems, in kindle form.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Twas brillig & the slithy toves did gyre & gimble in the wabe...

Lewis Carroll - Alice in Wonderland

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Pity Mr. and Mrs. Bryon

this is a very interesting question! 

i've read poetry before, but never came across any that really caught my interest. now, Ogden Nash......his work sounds like i'd really enjoy it. i'll have to see if i can find a book of his poems, in kindle form.
I adore Ogden Nash, and have most of his books.  I've searched for some of the missing ones online, and the only O.N. book I can find for Kindle is this one: .  Unfortunately, it isn't one of the books I'm looking for.

If you know what poem you're looking for (which is the stinker-clinker) you can frequently find it online: http://motd.ambians.com/quotes.php/name/linux_songs_poems/toc_id/1-1-31/s/537

I strongly recommend checking with your public library.  Many people seem to have completely forgotten about Ogden Nash; when I wanted to check some of his books out of my library they'd been archived and the library had to dig them out for me, but at least they hadn't been sold.  Hopefully they never will be.

Margret

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always liked Charles Bukowski since I first heard of him when i was in high school in the late 90s. The first time I visited Long Beach, CA a few years before I moved here, I took a bus to San Pedro and visited his grave in a cemetery on the Rancho Palos Verdes Peninsula.

His writing is usually realist, sometimes dream-like, admittedly sometimes raunchy, sometimes sad, sometimes sunny, but I like it. I really like his short stories and novels too. Perhaps it's time to pull a book out of the bookcase this evening, it's been a while!

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WhenI was a kid I liked Shel Silversteins books. But I just haven't been able to get into most other poetry. I love to read; and I've tried. I guess it's just not my "thing."

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shel Silverstein is one sick puppy! LOL. I'm not at all sure my mom knew what was in those books. I read them when I was 4-5. . .I also remember looking at the pictures when I couldn't read yet (I started reading when I was 3 1/2) so the books must have been around for a while before me. Where the Sidewalk Ends was my favorite and I would re-read it frequently. I always read books that were "too old" for me. I recently paged through it and I'm really not sure that anything he wrote was appropriate for a small child. Probably warped my developing sense of humor :D.

I also like Ogden Nash, and some Robert Frost poems. But mostly I can't get into poetry. Only if it means something or is funny. If it's "art" I'm just not going to enjoy it.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just re-read them yourself first and decide if you want your kids bouncing around singing about being eaten by a boa constrictor :D. Oh, yeah, I also had a singing tape with most of the poems set to a tune. I wonder if that's even still available. . .

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep.

Robert Frost

I love poetry - but not so much anything I've read by newer poets - and don't really have a favorite.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I went to high school with Robert Frost's grandson.  He was a fair poet, himself.