Question of the day Wednesday October 28

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I was a kid I would so enjoy watching the young calves and piglets get particularly goofy just prior to a storm.

Nowadays my bettafish, and Poppycat, will do the same :)

Do your cats change their behavior and antics before a storm?

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We don't have any real storms, but our family dog became whiny and weird before a very small earthquake. When I say small, we didn't know it was an earthquake at the time, we thought it was something like a heavy truck driving by.

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not necessarily before a storm, but my senior cat Ruckus is afraid of thunder. Whenever the first thunder rumbles, he runs to the spot that is furthest from the window, which is a corer cabinet in the kitchen. He'll use his paw to pry open the sliding door of the cabinet, climb inside and stay there until the storm passes.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not before a storm, but Maggie is terrified during a storm. She's even scared of rain. Demi is mostly just scared of lawnmowers and Amish horses.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
We're in the midst of severe storms here, for the past three days. Nilah couldn't care less, Sundar gets a little jumpy with the thunder but gets over it. But I really feel for the Deisel and Shadow over my back fence.. a staffy x and a kelpie. They're really upset :(

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kind of. Puar always acts a bit more perturbed and antsy when it's going to rain. He doesn't seem to care about storms (other than being afraid of thunder) since Korea doesn't really get many of those. I think it's A) because he was a street cat so probably has some instinct to find shelter B) the sound of rain drains out the other usual sounds (i say this because there's a lot of construction in my neighborhood and so there's always banging and whirring going on, except on Sundays, and on Sundays Puar always goes a bit more crazy in the morning)

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're in the midst of severe storms here, for the past three days. Nilah couldn't care less, Sundar gets a little jumpy with the thunder but gets over it. But I really feel for the Deisel and Shadow over my back fence.. a staffy x and a kelpie. They're really upset :(
How are you doing up there Mani?? Those storms have been pretty wild.
We had a truck damaged in Townsville from the hail.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Carleton is, "cool as a cucumber," during a storm. But our dog can predict a storm up to an hour before it happens. All we have to do is watch his body language if he's out in the yard and we know mother nature is up to something. 😉

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
How are you doing up there Mani?? Those storms have been pretty wild.
We had a truck damaged in Townsville from the hail.
We're not too bad. I've had a fair few students not come to class because they're concerned about hail damage to their cars. I guess that's a 'thing' generally.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Not necessarily before a storm, but my senior cat Ruckus is afraid of thunder. Whenever the first thunder rumbles, he runs to the spot that is furthest from the window, which is a corer cabinet in the kitchen. He'll use his paw to pry open the sliding door of the cabinet, climb inside and stay there until the storm passes.
Awwww...poor baby has a safe place to go...so sweet.

Blue howls and tries to hide when storms come..terrifies him. Never had a cat scared of storms before.
He starts to panic even before I can hear the thunder.
Oh, Blue...he must sense them.

Cal is terrified of storms. If she sees lighting before the storm begins, she either
goes to the upstairs bathroom where there is a cozy nightlight and soft rug or
under the bed.