QUESTION OF THE DAY, WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 27, 2021

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Since Halloween is this weekend I was trying to think of a question that hasn't been asked or at least not in awhile. When I was growing up my sister and I would start planning our costumes far in advance. It's nice to know that nothing has changed because my own kids would do the same exact thing. The only difference is I don't remember Halloween stores that sold pre-made costumes, accessories maybe but not costumes. My favorite costume was an ice skater like Peggy Fleming. I asked my oldest this question and she said her favorite costume was a Vampire. I texted my youngest and she said Boy George from the group, Culture Club.

So for today's QUESTION OF THE DAY - WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE COSTUME WHEN YOU WERE GROWING UP?

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For two years, I dressed up as a pioneer girl. I already had a dress that could be used for it, and my mom made the apron and bonnet. Actually, she made a lot of stuff for our costumes.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I have a favorite. Growing up we never had "bought" costumes, we always made our own from random hand me down stuff or my grandmother would sew some for us. I actually really liked all of my costumes, I feel like I always looked great.
When I was in College though, I went out of town and came across a vintage/used clothing store and in the window was this gorgeous gown...very "Old Hollywood" form fitting slinky white dress with rhinestones around the neck line. When I saw it my first though was OMG! that is SO Marilyn Monroe! And it was only 40$ so I bought it. I've been Marilyn Monroe a few times as an adult, and I still love that dress.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was in college I did the Golden Age of Hollywood glamour thing. No particular person but the over the top glamour stuff. The retro hairstyle, I had really thick hair then so it was easy to do. The heavy makeup and costume jewelry.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom always made my costumes. I loved the historical ones like pioneer girl and southern belle (I had a cute little hoop skirt). When I was six, I was a purple and pink unicorn, which I loved as well.

I have so many memories of going to JoAnn fabrics and looking through the pattern books to pick out a costume.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In 5th grade I was a movie star and it was my favorite because it was put together with thrift store items and I felt super cool for helping my mom put together something from thrifted items. The dress I wore had a very 80s sequined top (very likely for a small adult woman, thankfully I was at least 5'4" when I was 10) and had a boa (which we did buy new).

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I had a favorite costume...my sister and I seemed to always go as either a nurse or a ghost.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a single favourite, though my favourites were the ones my grandma hand made for me when I was little: a ladybug, rabbit, black cat and - these will sound very 1990s - Mario, and Pikachu.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A bathtub. :lol:

My mom made it with the help of the art teacher from her school she worked at. I did help too. It was cardboard and i made feet to stick out of one end. I think the bubbles were packing peanuts. I wore a pink leotard and tights with my mom’s shower wrap and my bunny slippers. I think I had a shower cap on. I blew bubbles while walking too. It was held up with a belt but the front drooped so 2 girla who were usually mean to me helped carry the front end.

I got A LOT of attention in the school parade that year!:lol:

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We don't really celebrate Halloween here, so dressing up isn't part of the tradition. It's only when we got older that we started to have costume parties for Halloween. I've been to 3 costume parties.
The first time I had devil horns and a fancy dress with super high heels and a fur coat. I later dubbed it "the devil wears Prada" 😂
The second time I went as a yandere, since I was really into anime back then.
The last time I went as a cat girl.
I'm really bummed out it isn't really a thing here, since I know I would have loved it. But I started cosplaying a while ago, so I guess that fills some of that void😅

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But I started cosplaying a while ago, so I guess that fills some of that void😅
I think cosplay is more fun! Its not limited to one time of year. My cousin does some great stuff for conventions she goes to. There are a few people I’m following on Instagram strictly because they make such excellent costumes! Mostly historical but this one woman does others and she’s really really good! I like when they break it down so you can see each layer involved and things like that.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooo hard to say - I loved Halloween as a kid and had fun with a variety of costumes. I think the first that pops into my head was a Geisha. It probably wouldn't be politically correct today, but it was really well done. My mom made sure to do research on being as authentic as possible when she was making it, plus we did live in Japan for a time prior. It was very popular with the locals during my trick or treating!