Question of the Day, Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's ALMOST that time again! 👻💀🎃 coming our way soon! Any special plans? Anybody dressing up?

I'll be at home, manning the cauldron full of treats. Am I dressing up? Oh, nominally. I'll wear my favorite pair of black jeans, a black long-sleeved peasant blouse, and slap a witch's hat on my head when someone knocks on the door. I like to tell people, "I dress like a witch EVERY day!" Around 10 PM when I'm sure the trick or treaters have gone home (except for the older teens, whom I have little sympathy for), I'll have my annual Halloween supper. This year, it is pork chops, mashed sweet potatoes, green beans, corn, and apple spice cake.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m relatively new in the States and this will be my second Halloween here. Last year I surprisingly learned that slutty Halloween is a thing, this year we moved into residential neighborhood so I expect there might be some actual trick or treaters. I’m hesitating what to give them as I’m trying not to buy anything with palm oil and I’m guessing all candy bars etc have it, and I’m guessing kids would be dissatisfied with the healthier options? So yeah, I need to decide about this. As for dressing up, I’ll just get my broom and here I am :)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Halloween is nothing like as big a deal here in the UK. Dressing up is reserved for Halloween parties (mostly for kids), and occasionally trick or treaters too. I live in a slightly more isolated area too, just outside of the main town, so the only trick or treaters will be the very few kids that live on my road. We don't do anything special, just get a few (full size) chocolate bars in for the local kids.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be waiting for the knocking with goodies at the ready. It's true what columbine said it's not as big a deal in the UK. It's definitely a night for the kids, After all the kids have been I'll be gaining a couple of pounds eating what's left. So I'm secretly hoping loads turn up to save me from myself :lol:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't celebrated Halloween since Kindergarten, so I don't celebrate it now out of habit, plus I'm not really into scary things. I don't think any trick or treaters will come to our door, it's too far out in the country.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We haven't had treat-or-treaters here in years. We do have our Halloween yard flags up and I've done a bit of decorating in the kitchen. But that's it.

We will, however, buy some treats. Rick can't exist without Reese's peanut butter cups at Halloween; I think it's the law of the house or something.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I sometimes paint my face with something weird but normally don't dress up and we get a huge crowd of kids-but the past 5 years it's been alot less BUT last year-we had more kids than we have had in a long time...I usually go through 6 to 8 bags of candy...kit kat, reeses and snickers are the staple here. Many of the other homes give out lolly pops and smarties..I like to have some of the good candy...10 years ago I used to buy full size candy bars-but we could get a box of 30 for 10 bucks. I bought 5 boxes and ran out...Now the price is beyond stupid. Oh and if I find white chocolate kit kat=I always save a bag or two for myself. I have to hide all candy otherwise old man Jon eats the entire bag of candy in one afternoon....

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our church always has a community event around Halloween so we go to that. They set up multiple bouncy houses, obstacle courses, games, etc in the church parking lot. They serve popcorn and sometimes cotton candy. We collect candy all fall so each child who comes gets a bag of candy. It’s a lot of fun and more and more people are coming by for it.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Decorations are nearly done. Every house on my street decorates so it is expected. Night of I will have an early dinner and spend the evening at the kitchen table which overlooks the front of the house. I have a good view there of children arriving and of my neighbors bonfires. We usually get anywhere from 100 to 150 kids and I usually turn the light off at 9:00 when traffic pretty much stops.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the things I looked forward to most when we bought a house was Halloween and all the kiddos trick or treating. When I was younger, we had the absolute best time doing it. The first year in the house (2017) we had maybe 10 kids. Last year, we had zero. :( It's such a shame that the tradition is dying. It's all being replaced with the significantly less exciting (though safer, I suppose) trunk-or-treats held by churches, civic clubs, etc.

We have decorated the outside of the house, however! I love decorating for holiday seasons!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to enjoy giving out candy for Halloween but then I adopted a family of feral cats who got upset every time someone came to the door. I also hurt my back so I stopped giving out candy about 12 years ago. I live in a court and now no one in the court gives out candy. I used to give out Hersey, Snickers, gum and suckers. I used to give one each in a baggie and tie the end.

It used to make me mad when the parents pushed their way to the front to see what I was giving away. If they don't trust me than they did not have to come to my door.