Question of the Day, Wednesday, October 16, 2019

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Halloween is my favorite holiday! I always dress up, and we're going to a party (for adults) the Saturday before. We're going as Mr. and Mrs. Genghis Khan. I have a little Mongolian DNA, and a couple of months ago, I joked with DH that Mr. G. was responsible (I also have Mongol Horde DNA from that time period). Genghis (or, more properly, Chinghis) has the most descendants in history, he had up to 2000 kids, or least hundreds of kids--all over the map--they are not all of his wives or concubines, either. I'm going as an 8-months-pregnant baby mama, and DH will wear a sign: "Baby Daddy of Baby # 756". Now, it's creepy, as I just found out that Genghis Khan may have been one of my great-grandfathers! (I'd be preggers by one of my great-grandads!) We're both making authentic costumes from that time period--DH is even making an authentic Mongol leather helmet to go with his clothing.

Yep, we are tasteless people. :flail:

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our house is well-known in our development as the house that goes nuts decorating for Halloween and for Christmas. I make many decorations using PVC pipe and spray paint (black and orange for Halloween and red, green and white for Christmas). For Halloween our front yard has a "fence" made of orange and black poles with lights strung between them. We have 2 large windows on the front of the house, and we have video projectors displaying Halloween scenes. For one window there are singing/talking pumpkins; I set up speakers outside so the Trick or Treaters can hear the pumpkins. We also have many inflatables in the front yard.
Being a retiree of Mars, the only candy we give out are Mars products (M&M's, Snickers, Milky Way, Starburst, Skittles, etc.).
Over the past few years we have hosted Halloween parties for adult friends. In those cases, we go nuts decorating the inside of the house.
We get 50-60 Trick or Treaters at our house each year.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm going to decorate. I already have a planter of autumn flowers outside the front door, so I'll just goth that up a bit with pumpkins and other stuff.

Dressing like a witch is no problem for. Imagine what you'd get if you crossed a witch with a lumberjack. That's how I dress most days.

I may treat myself to a teeny glass of wine (or six) just to get myself in the mood.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I do absolutely nothing. Never have. It's not so huge over here, but I also don't decorate for any holidays or festivals.. it doesn't feel right for a yoga house.. not judging at all.. it's just people come here to get away from all the 'stuff'. :)

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Halloween is my favorite holiday! I always dress up, and we're going to a party (for adults) the Saturday before. We're going as Mr. and Mrs. Genghis Khan. I have a little Mongolian DNA, and a couple of months ago, I joked with DH that Mr. G. was responsible (I also have Mongol Horde DNA from that time period). Genghis (or, more properly, Chinghis) has the most descendants in history, he had up to 2000 kids, or least hundreds of kids--all over the map--they are not all of his wives or concubines, either. I'm going as an 8-months-pregnant baby mama, and DH will wear a sign: "Baby Daddy of Baby # 756". Now, it's creepy, as I just found out that Genghis Khan may have been one of my great-grandfathers! (I'd be preggers by one of my great-grandads!) We're both making authentic costumes from that time period--DH is even making an authentic Mongol leather helmet to go with his clothing.

Yep, we are tasteless people. :flail:
I changed the baby belly idea (it really is some Manga cat character. I was going to give it to my cats to lay on after Halloween). I bought an interactive baby doll who sucks on a pacifier, makes baby noises, sleeps, and "breathes" when it's sleeping, which is creepy. He'll be in a sling on my front, and I found a set of twin baby dolls (who don't breathe!), to carry in a sling on my back. I swaddled them in fake fur to cover up the modern onesies. DH is making a mini version of his helmet for baby #1. I made QR code labels with their names and a number ("Sukhbataar, #756 out of 2000") to stick on each baby. People at the party ca can the code with their phone. The joke is that he had so many kids, this will help him remember their names...and the cats are scared of the breathing baby.