Question of the day Wednesday October 14

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One of Poppycat's more darling habits is that he will specifically wait in the hallway for one of us so that we can open a dresser drawer and put a blanket down, which he then takes a nap in :).

At other times, he'll "ask" for a window to be opened.

He can be fairly clear about what he wants, and so it isn't terribly difficult for us to decipher, usually...

The other day, after the carpet cleaners had gone and he could come back out into the main house, Poppycat was sitting on a chair that he never uses for quite a while (--for him anyway, it was 2-3 minutes), with an expectant look on his face. Although I tried a couple of things, I simply couldn't get it right regarding what he wanted.

Have you ever really, really wanted to know what your cat was thinking?

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She doesn’t do it as much as she used to but Willow stares at me a lot. I can read most of them but sometimes I am clueless. At night when she wants to lay on a particular side of the recliner she will stare at me until I move my feet to one side or the other so she can lay down. When she wants something I am eating she sits and stares until I offer it to her. When she wants fresh water she sits by her bowl and stares at me. But there are other times she stares at me for no reason I can figure out.

If I am sitting at the table, and can’t see her she will reach up and tap me on the arm with her paws usually to remind me it’s dinner time.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep sometimes Patches meows at me and I'm walking behind him asking what's wrong baba? Show me. I wish he could talk, I keep telling him I don't talk cat but sometimes I think the little guy thinks I can. I'm his mama I should understand ;)

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely! Pants' meow is the strangest I've heard... It's somewhere between a meow, a whine, and a howl. He does this constantly, and I'd love to know why! However, Eden's meows seem pretty straightforward- If you have food or she wants to be pet, she'll meow. Willow pretty much only meows if you have food (human, cat, or dog) and she wants some.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Communicating cats reminds me of my former meezer girl who carried on long, intense, loud conversations with me. Sometimes when she was feeling strongly about something I just couldn’t understand I used to say “What’s the matter, Lassie. Is Timmy in the well? You youngsters won’t get it but those who watched the show will.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Yes! Mowgli has this weird little habit we don't understand. He likes to cuddle on the sofa with me while we watch the evening news. We watch two national newscasts, then my husband goes upstairs to play piano while I watch the local news. As soon as Mowgli hears my husband coming back down the stairs after the local news, he jumps over on the other sofa where my husband usually sits, lies down and acts as if he'd been there the entire time.

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Communicating cats reminds me of my former meezer girl who carried on long, intense, loud conversations with me. Sometimes when she was feeling strongly about something I just couldn’t understand I used to say “What’s the matter, Lassie. Is Timmy in the well? You youngsters won’t get it but those who watched the show will.
I remember Lassie haha - they don’t make tv shows like that anymore 😊
I watch so many re runs of old tv shows - the best ❤

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue is very vocal and loves the sound of his own voice and is very very clear in what he wants and needs with different sounds and meows/yells. Certainly no guessing on anything on my part but he occasionally sits near my chair with an eager expectant look on his face and lets out this deep loud "Mrahh" like he is trying to bark sound every time we make eye contact. I would love to know what he wants or what it is he is expressing because he does it for 15 minutes or so.
Maybe he is trying to teach me a new cat word...lol

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats understand most human words, so we communicate really well. I just tell Demi "show mama", then he leads me to whatever he wants.

The only thing I would really like to ask them is to be more cuddly. Demi will cuddle while he sucks on his blankie, but that is only like 20 minutes per day tops. I need more cuddles!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do wish I could understand why they are afraid of certain things. Remy absolutely hates being held but loves to cuddle. He fights me anytime I try to clip his nails and I would love to know if there is a reason for it all. With Maisie, I'm curious for a similar reason, just really to know her history and where she came from before she was brought to the rescue. I cannot pick her up because she doesn't trust people.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
As soon as Mowgli hears my husband coming back down the stairs after the local news, he jumps over on the other sofa where my husband usually sits, lies down and acts as if he'd been there the entire time.
Aww.....clever boy. thinks he's getting something past his dad!

I would love to know what he wants or what it is he is expressing because he does it for 15 minutes or so.
Maybe he wants to come on your lap for cuddles?

My Cal never spoke much at all till our Vincie girl went to The Bridge last year. She then started talking
and hasn't stopped. Maybe because the Vincie girl was deaf and talked loudly non-stop, darling girl.
Cal will stand at the bottom of the steps when she wants me to snuggle with her on the bed and say
"wow", I'll say "Mama will be up in a minute." If I'm not going up I'll tell up to go ahead and I'll come up
later and she usally does.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
All of our cats are quite vocal, even Muffin, who never said much when she lived with Mom. She was always fairly quiet. Now? "meow, meow, meow, meow". I don't what it is about our house, quiet cats come here and turn into talkers. Probably because we're always talking to them. Of course, they understand me better than I do them. But they even talk to each other, something I don't see much of with other peoples' cats. I'd love to know what they're saying to each other.....probably conspiring to figure out how to get me to give them an extra treat. "OK, you start yelling. I'll give her The Look. That never fails! We'll have our snack in no time!"