QUESTION OF THE DAY, WEDNESDAY, OCT. 20,2021

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No I did until a few years ago but things have changed. There have been unsavory things going on the last few years. Our downtown area went through gentrification so now the suburbs are changing.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably not. My town isn't bad, particularly in the section I'm in. I have walked home from the local train station a few times when my car was in the shop and couldn't get a cab/Uber fast enough - it's less than a mile I think (hubbie does not drive, alas). I didn't feel "unsafe" but I certainly was keeping my eyes open and trying to keep near as much light as possible.

Funny thing is when I lived in NYC I walked everywhere, alone late at night and never thought twice about it. Probably because there are people out at all hours so it never felt deserted to me.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do...we do...walk our Olivia in the yard on her leash...we do not live in town,we do know our neighbors,but neither one of us would walk her down the road.We have a yard light,turn the porch light on and take a gigundo flashlight and haven't had any problems.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a neighborhood that's not very prosperous, shall we say, but I don't feel particularly unsafe outdoors at night. I just don't go out at night because I have cataracts and can't see well in the dark.

I'd be more afraid of getting run over by speeding cars around here than anything else. We could use some speed bumps, I think.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to when I was younger and less fearful. I wouldn't now, though. Mostly that's due to a problem house in my neighbourhood where thieves like to hang out when they're not lurking around in people's yards in the middle of the night, trying to find things to steal. Hard drugs are more than likely involved with them, too. It's unfortunate for a multitude of reasons, like that house was never a problem until this past year.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, I would. There are no people here, no traffic and the roads are all narrow, un-paved dirt tracks. I'd take a torch, because there are no street lights either, and ring a bell or jingle my keys to let the wildlife know I'm coming. The woods are full of boar and deer.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My immediate neighborhood, yes, but as soon as I hit the busy road one block over, I wouldn't. It's so dark in my backyard and it abuts to a wetland that I probably would be too afraid to go in my backyard. The neighborhood I grew up in, I felt a lot safer walking around at night. I didn't do it often (if at all), but in the event I needed to do it, I wouldn't feel scared for my safety.