QUESTION OF THE DAY, WEDNESDAY, OCT. 20,2021

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I used to walk our German Shepherd late at night. We both enjoyed it because it was quiet and peaceful. I especially liked it during the holidays when I could see everyone's decorations lit up. I never worried about being alone because our dog was very protective of me. However, our street is very dark at night and the nearest street light is all the way down at the end of the block. I'm not sure I would feel comfortable walking alone without our dog beside me.

So for today's QUESTION OF THE DAY - WOULD YOU WALK ALONE IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD LATE AT NIGHT?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In town, yes. Although being a military brat, I've always felt like I'm doing something vaguely illegal by being out after a certain hour, lol (the bases we lived on had curfews). Now I live in the country and I feel uneasy being outdoors after dark most of the time, unless I have one of the big dogs on leash right next to me. I know coyotes and mountain lions rarely attack humans but. . .ugh I'm such a sissified city kid :tongue: .

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I go out in my own yard all the time. But I wouldn't walk because cars are driving by at high speeds and there aren't really street lights. We keep our exterior lights on and a few people have installed tall lights in their yards; but it's not lit at the road or enough to make you truly visible.

A few years back I dropped my kids off to my mom late at night and some guy was out running on our street! I passed him coming and going so it was a long run on a country road in the dark! DH ran a lot through rural areas when he was younger; but he said not at night!

In town, yes. Although being a military brat, I've always felt like I'm doing something vaguely illegal by being out after a certain hour, lol (the bases we lived on had curfews).
This is so relatable!! :flail: They would follow us around and tell us to go home even if it wasn't near the curfew yet! :rolleyes2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You just never know who might be trolling to rob or assault.
Growing up in a major city we learned street smarts at an early age and I was always aware of who was around me especially if I was alone on the subway. I did have a few alarming encounters but fortunately used my common sense and was able to avoid them. Although I no l longer live in the city proper I feel like you can take the girl out of the city but you can't take the city out of the girl. 😉

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
When the current GSD was young, I used to walk him in the very early morning before work, so it was often dark. This is a safe area and I had a big boy with me. I also believe that the bad guys are out at night and probably not trolling the streets in the early morning. However, it is not just the people who live locally as any big city is full of those passing through which means that you never know who is actually around or means harm.

We had an incident where a high school boy was transferred to the local public school from another part of town because he had been involved with, or gotten on the wrong side of, a gang. He was out walking one night late with his new friends and old group drove up and shot him. He died on a front lawn about two blocks from my house.

So, no, I don't walk alone at night.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Safety wise, yes. My neighborhood is very safe...although I would be careful of the bears. In terms of the actual "walking" part, no. I really don't like just "going for a walk"....it's boring. :lol:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a rural place so quite comfortable about walking alone at night! (Just need something to reflect or carry a flashlight so cars can see) Just pretty fields and wild animals to think about.

If I were to walk alone at night in one of my nearby towns or cities, then no I wouldn't for a wide variety of reasons.