Question Of The Day, Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's the day before the Thanksgiving, and tomorrow night everyone will be in a turkey induced stupor. The footballs games will be over, and the leftovers will be wrapped and tucked away. Many of us will be eyeing our refrigerator doors nervously, anticipating that at any moment, the whole shebang could give way, shooting food across the kitchen like cannon balls.

SO...what do you plan to do with those left overs? Turkey sandwiches, turkey hash? Maybe turkey tetrazinni? What is your favorite thing to do with some of those yummy leftovers?

This year, although I have not one, but TWO dinners to attend, I'll be cooking anyway. Mostly so that I'll actually have leftovers. I'll be cooking all day today, starting with 3 pies, 2 to take, one to keep. I'll be getting a pan of dressing and a dish of green bean casserole ready in the fridge, so that all I have to do is bake them between dinners on Thursday, and I'll be baking a fair-sized turkey breast.

I have to have those "left-overs," I really do! I love turkey sandwiches almost as much as I love hot dogs with cheese and onions, and those of you who follow the "What's for Dinner" thread KNOW how I am about those hot dogs! I'll slice the breast and wrap and freeze single serving portions. Dressing freezes well, too, thank goodness! I can make a meal of green bean casserole, so that will go pretty quickly.

I'm sulking a little this year because my waffle iron died, and one of my favorite things for leftovers at T'giving is to toast dressing in a waffle iron, sprinkle it with chopped turkey, drizzle with gravy, and dig in! LOL, it's also very good with a small amount of cranberry sauce spread over it!

The pie? Oh, that won't last long at all. It's the one time of year when I can get away with having a piece of pie and a cup of coffee for breakfast!

So...tell me...what are your darkest, most secret leftover desires?

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With just the two of us having Thanksgiving dinner, what's left of the 5 lb. turkey breast will make a one pot turkey and noodles, and many days of turkey sandwiches ... sometimes with mayo and sometimes with whole berry cranberry sauce. Oh, and open face hot turkey sandwiches.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mainly just sandwiches. I would sometimes also make creamed turkey on toast. It has been several years since I have cooked and hosted the meal, now I make a dish to take so I don't have all the leftovers. I am usually offered a paper plate for another meal of leftovers. I heat that up the next day and that is it for the leftovers for me now. That is probably a good thing for me now.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Nothing. *sob* We're going to my niece's for Thanksgiving dinner, so there will be no leftovers in this house. :bawling2:

I'm sure they will offer us leftovers, but Rick and I both agreed that we don't really need them and we will refuse. Dang.

I do enjoy a good turkey sandwich with mayo and lettuce. And some cranberry relish slathered in there, too. Rick is a stuffing-man. He can eat stuffing until it's coming out of his ears.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No turkey for us this year. DD doesn't like it. I was going to make roast beef and asked her, "you like that right?" She said she only likes it in a sandwich. :rolleyes2:

So we are having rib eye steaks, mashed potatoes and salad. Sophie will be in heaven. She adores steak above all other foods. The kids will help me eat mine. If I don't finish mine (I usually do not) whatever's left will become theirs and will be diced into small pieces and used as a topper to their meals

ETA When I did make the big turkey meal, I liked the leftover sandwiches better than the meal. Turkey, stuffing, cranberry and mayo on soft white bread.

Last edited:

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, just me here. Turkey is a bit gamey, to me, and even the smallest is too big for just one person IMO. I did buy a whole chicken a few weeks back when those were on sale; kept it in the freezer, took it out to thaw this past Sunday. So I plan to make that. The kitties always get some white breast meat (boneless, skinless) when I do this, lol. And the dogs get something or other as well (no cooked bones for them!) With the 12 of them, leftovers aren't an issue!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have sandwiches, both cold and hit with gravy, and make pot pies. Most of it gets given to relatives and still a lot left for my cats, they get to feast! We cook a twenty plus pounder even though there is just 4 of us this year, we like the leftovers! Cheap eating and cheap cat food!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We're going to my niece's for Thanksgiving dinner,
LOL, I mentioned that I'm going to not one but TWO dinners, and today am cooking my own JUST FOR THE LEFTOVERS!

We cook a twenty plus pounder even though there is just 4 of us this year,
I'm so in touch! I'm doing a 9 pound breast later this afternoon, just for me! Well...me, and some for the Bit family (my little feral family that I feed and am desperately trying to find TNR assistance for), and some for the Across the Drive Gang (the ferals who eat out of the dumpsters). Hekitty won't touch people food, except for tuna water, raspberry sherbet, and (I JUST learned) pork roast. I do have a few servings of pork roast in the freezer...I may thaw out a few nibbles for her.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Turkey salad. Whenever I make chicken I make way more than needed just so I can have chicken salad on crackers. Turkey is even better than chicken. Can't wait for the leftovers.
The dark meat I will freeze and make turkey noodle soup on really cold winter days.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a fan of turkey, but do love to have a turkey, cranberry sauce sandwich!
Or a turkey, stuffing and mayo sandwich!
I have had a turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing sandwich.. awesome..

You can add a bit of gravy to all of the above..
The bread has to be an awesome bread... depending on my mood, sometimes plain white bread is good, but it has to be good quality ~ nice and hearty, so it does not get mushy, too soon--or even toasted....

I just love stuffing and a bit of cranberry sauce, and some squash..

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mamany1953:

Don't forget us vegetarians. We won't be in a turkey induced stupor. LOL

I'm always looking at the refrigerator door nervously; I worry about the shells collapsing and food flying across the room after I go grocery shopping every 2 weeks.

Last edited:

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cherry pie for breakfast! Then we usually have a second dinner of leftovers on Saturday and anything that's still left goes into lunches. With 4 adults making work lunches and 2 elementary students making cold lunch it goes pretty fast. Some years I make soup with the carcass but some years I'm too lazy and just toss it out. :fear:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I stopped in the butcher's just to quickly pick up a couple sweet potatoes.. I did not want to handle the grocery store.. I was very tempted to buy a chocolate cream pie.....sigh..
Probably should have and then left the pumpkin pie in the freezer....sigh

It is a Trader Joes, day after T-day, for me! All my things were purchased at TJ's...
got a bone-in 1/2 turkey breast, their stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce.. Yes, I know I am lazy, but it works for me.. I just have to pop the turkey in the oven, and make the stuffing and squash....It is good enough for me.. not a turkey lover, so a small 1/2 breast works for me..

It is just me, so I can deal with not really baking a pie, or buying an entire turkey or entire turkey breast... I can make a good stuffing and gravy.. but for one person~~~
this is good enough..... And, it will be Good!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
mamany1953:

I'm always looking at the refrigerator door nervously; I worry about the shells collapsing and food flying across the room after I go grocery shopping every 2 weeks.
:lol: I shop for a month at a time, and right now there are things stacked on top of the things that are stacked on top of the things...from the very back to the front!

I stopped in the butcher's just to quickly pick up a couple sweet potatoes.
:lolup: OH, that's right! It's YAM SLAUGHTERING SEASON again! Threw me for a second when you said you stopped a the butcher's for sweet potatoes...

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Turkey salad. Whenever I make chicken I make way more than needed just so I can have chicken salad on crackers. Turkey is even better than chicken. Can't wait for the leftovers.
The dark meat I will freeze and make turkey noodle soup on really cold winter days.
I'm glad you posted that. I forgot how much I like turkey salad.That's something else I'll be using my leftovers for.... gotta buy celery and onions now.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
mamany1953:

You're not alone. :thumbsup: No turkey leftovers for me either. Our oldest is vegan, she's making stuffed kabocha squash and mustard braised brussel sprouts. We're having four-berry pie for dessert. I'm cooking separately for DH. :wink:

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually have not done a large turkey dinner in a few years. Two years in a row we have done stuffed burgers with home made rolls.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're not alone. :thumbsup: No turkey leftovers for me either. Our oldest is vegan, she's making stuffed kabocha squash and mustard braised brussel sprouts. We're having four-berry pie for dessert. I'm cooking separately for DH. :wink:
brr
How does she make the mustard braised brussels sprouts? Sounds like something I'd like.