Question of the Day, Wednesday, November 20, 2019

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We will be going to Michele's sister's house again this year. Michele is making bread pudding with lemon sauce. As far as apples, I like Empires for eating. I get them for $1.49 a pound at a local produce place.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's just DH, the kids and I this year. I was really really really tempted to order a catered dinner from a local restaurant. But I ended up deciding to cook. I got a precooked turkey breast in the freezer. It's about 5lb so it'll still be way too much meat for us. I've picked up most of the frozen and non perishable things I need. I stopped at a local orchard for apples for pies yesterday too. I plan to spend the day in sweatpants, cook, eat and maybe hang the outdoor Christmas lights with DH if we can't get that done this weekend.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
We go to my dad's for Thanksgiving. It's traditionally been the time of year where all uncles/aunts/cousins etc. get together, organized by my grandparents. It will be interesting to see what happens when my grandmother passes away- I can't see the tradition continuing, especially since none of us cousins on that side are particularly close.

This year is a little different. We have a wedding the Sunday before Thanksgiving in husband's hometown, so we are staying with his folks and doing a "Thanksgiving" with them the Tuesday before. Then we are going to drive to dad's on Wednesday.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It'll be a quiet holiday with the cats. My family has never really done Thanksgiving anyways. I am planning to work since I have the day before off for an appointment so there's stuff I need to get done. Friday is a company holiday but I'm planning to work for about half the day to get ahead with my work. More money in the paycheck:biggrin: I might do a chicken and rice casserole for a "holiday" dinner on Friday.

Some friends had discussed doing Friendsgiving but nothing ever came out of that :disappointed:

This year I am vegetarian for the first time, so I don't know what I will have. Probably stuffing if I can find a vegetarian one. I don't know how to make it from scratch. Not sure what else.

There's always Google :agree: Take a look at these:

There's always a box / bag from the supermarket instead of making stuffing from scratch:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're going to my parents' house for Thanksgiving luncheon on Thursday, and then up to Michigan on Friday to see my husband's grandpa who's not in the best health and watch the big game.

I usually buy whatever apple is on sale if I want them, but I rather like the gala.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in the UK we don't have Thanksgiving of course; I guess the closest we get is the Harvest Festival which isn't really an official holiday, but most schools and workplaces tend to give donations to the local foodbank. I've always wanted to join in with an American Thanksgiving celebration though - my mother used to have an American friend at work whose family lived in Boston, and she said she really enjoyed it, they always had so much food lol and the area was beautiful in autumn.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We'll be celebrating Thanksgiving with one of our daughters and her hubby. My daughter is a fantastic baker and she's going to surprise me. All I know is that there will be pie. 🥧

This year I am vegetarian for the first time, so I don't know what I will have.
Since I'm also vegetarian one of the dishes I'll be eating is acorn stuffed squash. There are many recipes on-line but here's one I like:
Stuffed Acorn Squash + Wild Rice Medley - The Simple Veganista

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Just me and Geoffrey, this year. I was invited to my cousins, but they live over 2 hours from me.

The first time they hosted it, was a few years ago. I live the farthest away. I was stuck in a traffic jam ; actually grid lock. I was late for the meal. They held it as long as they could.

I really do not feel comfortable going through that, again.

Having all the regular stuff. Not a lover of turkey, but I will have a small piece of turkey breast, stuffing, cranberry sauce, gravy, and a honey nut squash. It is similar to a tiny butternut squash, but sweeter.

Enough food for me.

Not certain about dessert. Either a small pumpkin pie with whipped cream, or a Trader Joe’s small assortment of cheesecakes. Or pumpkin ice cream with chocolate sauce drizzled on top.

Think I will try a cranberry nonalcoholic spritzer.

Trader Joe’s is good for smaller servings.

Will relax during the cooking. May take out a DVD or watch a marathon of some recorded shows.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Roasted turkey with stuffing in the bird, homemade mashed potatoes, plenty of gravy made from drippings, and of course... FOOTBALL, WOOHOO!!! I'm looking forward to watching ballgames again on my 65" curved screen, the definition is excellent and I love the game of football, so I'll be a happy camper once the Internet & TV apps are up and running at the ol' hacienda. The kittehs will share some turkey and gravy with me, dunno if they're into mashed potatoes, LOL. :cutecat:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going over my sister's house for Thanksgiving. She lives right behind me. There will be 11 of us. I don't cook so I am bringing two pies and snacks. I am going to sneak some turkey for Tommy. When I was a kid my cat at the time loved my mothers turkey at Thanksgiving. He was like a drug addict with it.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We'll be going to a family gathering about an hour and a half from home. It will be about 20 people and three generations. Since I'm not sure what desserts are on the menu I'm going to bring four different kinds of cookies. I'll slice up a fruitcake. Then on Wednesday I'll bake bankstaff, rugelach, and found an interesting recipe for a sort of meringue, with almond flour, very finely diced candied orange peel and candied ginger, and not so finely diced craisins. Or maybe something different for the last option. Hey, I have a week before the bake-a-thon next Wednesday.

Our daughter and son-in-law will fly in from Texas on Tuesday, spend the night with us, then go to the venue on Wednesday to help cook. Our son and daughter-in-law will drive down from Massachusetts on Wednesday, spend Wednesday and Thursday nights in a hotel, then come to us on Friday. So I will be making up the guestroom bed, putting out towels, baking cookies, stripping the bed to wash sheets and towels, then do the laundry again after the second set of house guests depart.

The big indulgence - Himself hasn't been driving yet. And I don't like driving at night. So we're getting a car service for Thursday's driving, there and home again. Terrific!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I"m reading this, drooling! AH, Thanksgiving...that wonderful time of the year when you can say, "I had coffee and a slice of pumpkin pie for breakfast," and nobody looks at you like you've lost your mind! I'm getting a head start this year. I THOUGHT I had everything to start cooking with, but realized I was almost out of corn meal for my dressing (stuffing). Made a store run, and scored a pint of pumpkin pie ice cream. Eating that with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice as we speak...erm...type...