Question of the Day, Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Easy one this week.

For those of you in the USA, will you be celebrating Thanksgiving, and how?

For those of you in other parts of the world, is there a holiday roughly analagous to Thanksgiving? What is it, and how do you celebrate?

I'm cooking for myself, Hekitty, and a gang of ferals. I have the Dolly Parton of turkey breasts in my freezer, with a note to take it out next Monday and let it thaw in the fridge! SO...we'll (I'll) eat in the early evening, as usual. Turkey breast, made-from-scratch cornbread dressing, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, bean casserole, creamed corn, and pumpkin pie. Call my sons and talk. Watch something good on TV, maybe kick off the Christmas season with a Hallmark movie. Stay quiet. I was invited to two places for dinner, but one involves a bunch of people that I don't know, and the other involves two VERY rambunctious kids. I just don't think I'm up to either.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be giving thanks for the good things that surround us all above all else. I always have special food for the kitties and the wild creatures that live here. I’ll be talking to my Dad and checking on a couple of older friends who live alone. I’ll be sending food to the shelter too. It’s a very special day for me. I’ll be remembering some precious smiles. :)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We will be home this year. Both mine and my husband's parents are gone so normally we'd head to my sister's house (or, most years anyway). The past few years have been harder to do this; he doesn't drive and it's becoming harder for me to drive at night. Last year, our old man cat was in the last stages of his life so we passed on going. And this year between having a new kitten in the house who we still don't feel comfortable leaving for an entire day and my husband recovering from a mild heart attack, well we felt it was better to have a quiet holiday at the house. I'd invite everyone here but our home can't accommodate 15 people. Let alone, I'm going to now have to cook low sodium for my husband, which I'm sure nobody else is going to be happy about :lol: Hopefully next year, things will be calmer!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
We will be home this year. Both mine and my husband's parents are gone so normally we'd head to my sister's house (or, most years anyway). The past few years have been harder to do this; he doesn't drive and it's becoming harder for me to drive at night. Last year, our old man cat was in the last stages of his life so we passed on going. And this year between having a new kitten in the house who we still don't feel comfortable leaving for an entire day and my husband recovering from a mild heart attack, well we felt it was better to have a quiet holiday at the house. I'd invite everyone here but our home can't accommodate 15 people. Let alone, I'm going to now have to cook low sodium for my husband, which I'm sure nobody else is going to be happy about :lol: Hopefully next year, things will be calmer!
So sorry about your husband. Hope he is on the mend. :hugs:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's just DD, the cats and me. I asked her if she wanted anything special and she said no. :dunno:

I think I'll just roast a turkey thigh or grill a steak and share it with the cats. They'd be very happy with either of those. A baked potato and a veggie of some sort for me.

DD said she wants some Halo Top light ice cream for dessert so I'll get her that.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will be spending the day with kids and grandkids. I am back in an apartment so I no longer do the hosting and the bulk of the cooking. I will be taking a dish, probably sweet potato casserole with a pecan topping. We have a pie shop in the area called Just Pies and the kids always want me to bring a couple of pies from there, specifically a cherry and an apple pie. I have a 10 inch of each ordered. They are so popular here that orders have to go in early or you might be disappointed. It will be traditional turkey and all the trimmings.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It's just Rick and me; we've decided to stay home again this year. It's quieter and calmer. And we can prepare ourselves for the BF gala. Rick is pretty traditional with Thanksgiving dinner, so it will be a roast turkey with the standard sides. And a pumpkin pie for dessert. But now, I'm also thinking of making that Roasted Granny Smith Apple Pie recipe that's been bugging me.

Rick's mom will have a slice of pumpkin pie for her dessert in the nursing home. But she and I are intrigued with that Granny Smith pie. If I get it made, I can take a large slice up to her on Thanksgiving night.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Granny Smith was on my list of apples to try before I got snowed in. 🙁❄ I was trying one of each kind of apple. So far my favorite is Honeycrisp. It really makes you think, apples are rather expensive! Almost $1 each. 🍏🍎
I like the tartness of a good Granny. And they bake very well. Honeycrisp is a good apple, but yeah, it's expensive!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fujis are my favorite. Granny Smiths are more for baking, not eating raw, unless you like a very tart apple. Although they are really good when dipped in caramel sauce. Honeycrisps are more expensive than most.
Granny Smith are the only apples I like. IMO they are perfect for baking, snacking, etc. They are great sliced up with sharp cheddar cheese. They are always expensive here so I don't buy them often.

Back to Thanksgiving, I might get a small Key Lime pie from Publix for dessert. I like to freeze it and pick at it. :yummy: