Question of the Day - Wednesday, November 13th

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never learned to drive had a couple of lessons they went badly I'm just to nervous, And with my map reading ability it's probably a good job I can't god knows were I'd end up:lol:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I never learned to drive had a couple of lessons they went badly I'm just to nervous, And with my map reading ability it's probably a good job I can't god knows were I'd end up:lol:
I never wanted to learn to drive but when I had my son I knew driving would be a necessity. I cried after every single lesson all the way up through taking my test. That was nearly fifty years ago and I have never had an at fault accident. If you decide to try again, use a driving school. They know how to teach the most nervous drivers.
And with map directions on phones now, who needs to read a map?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never learned how to dance. When I was in school, I didn't have time for social activities like sock hops and such, and in the military- well, let's just say that it was a low priority, and when I got out, places to dance, or learn how were in short supply. Now, I'm afraid of falling down and breaking something important.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly, gaming seems to be a necessary life skill these days, spending hours, days in a dark bedroom (I hope that sentence is adequately sarcastic).
I've never seen the fascination in it myself despite seeing the birth of it many years ago with that tennis game thing.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Life skills? Does scuba diving count? Always wanted to try it, never really followed through... too busy doing other things like sailing & rock climbing. Life skills, hmm... I'm no computer expert but I can navigate the web. All those modern methods of communication someone mentioned, Instagram & Snapchat and whatever else, those are all Greek to me, I'm an old rogue dinosaur who can't keep up with modern technology. I'm an excellent driver, personal vehicle or big rig, since I had so much safety training when I was hauling nothing but hazardous materials... to this day, I share safety tips with my relatives as they come of age and obtain their licenses, LOL. One of my favorite tips is for them to "ride the gap" between packs of vehicles on the freeway, even if that means speeding up or slowing down... that gap is the safest place on the road, and one has more time & room to react if things happen ahead. Ya can't ride the gap all the time, but you can maximize your time there. Going back to unlearned life skills, I suppose all that high society action qualifies... oh, yeah, and rules of etiquette, I'd be sadly deficient there. Good thing I live in Redneck Land, where dressing up & going out means wearing work clothes & boots, LOL. :wave3:

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I never learned how to dance. When I was in school, I didn't have time for social activities like sock hops and such, and in the military- well, let's just say that it was a low priority, and when I got out, places to dance, or learn how were in short supply. Now, I'm afraid of falling down and breaking something important.
Haha, I forgot that one... I never liked dancing, you'd have to point a pistol at my feet and fire a few rounds to get me to dance, LOL. One gal told me, "It's an expression of joy!!!" My reply: "There hasn't been that much joy in my life." BWAHAHAHAHA!!! :crackup:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure I would call it a life skill BUT I can ice skate but not roller skate. I guess roller skating is not very common anymore so I don't feel too bad. ;)
I rollerskate but don't ice-skate. It's a lot of fun. I got into it specifically because people don't do it anymore. So now, when I go out, I stand out a lot and people ask a lot of questions.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know right from left. I have to stop and think when someone tells me to go right or left and then sometimes hold up my dominant hand to know which one is right. If they tell me to go North or South though, I know exactly where to go. It works though because I'm getting my Master's in a geography-related field.

I work in a library and there are certain series of letters that trip me up all the time. GHI and PQR are the only ones I struggle with consistently.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Crazy as it sounds, if you want to learn to drive a stick shift, take a motorcycle course. Once you understand how a clutch works and how to use it, and you will, translating it to a car is easy. You learn a lot of driving skills, too.

My loss are the social graces. I don't know what to say for example to someone who's dying or someone who has a loved one who is terminal. I thought when I grew up I'd know all the answers, but I find I don't even know most of the questions.I try to think what I would want to hear. Many times I'm right but sometimes I put my foot in someone's mouth.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sadly, gaming seems to be a necessary life skill these days, spending hours, days in a dark bedroom (I hope that sentence is adequately sarcastic).
I've never seen the fascination in it myself despite seeing the birth of it many years ago with that tennis game thing.
I think it's something everyone should do. It's great for hand/eye coordination, enhances memory, improves attention and concentration, improves the brain's speed and helps with multitasking skills. Yes. Really. Even games on tablets/phones can help. Our brains doen't get better with age. They need all the help they can get and gaming is a fun way to do that.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I still make two little loops and tie them together when I tie my shoelaces. I really should do something about that.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know how to email until I was eighteen.
There was no such thing as email when I was 18.

Crazy as it sounds, if you want to learn to drive a stick shift, take a motorcycle course. Once you understand how a clutch works and how to use it, and you will, translating it to a car is easy. You learn a lot of driving skills, too.
Not really. I drove a stick my entire life (learned when I was 12). I also rode a motorcycle. Had a real hard time with a clutch being at my hand and not my foot.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still make two little loops and tie them together when I tie my shoelaces. I really should do something about that.
Nah, you shouldn't. I do the same thing, because I can't get laces to fit my shoes. They are either too short or way too long; if I don't double them, I end up stepping on them, in which case they come untied, so I say "Carry on".

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Some of those really made me laugh! LOL!
Overall I think I have really good life skills. There are few things that I have a hard time with but they don't make a difference in my life, like, I can't navigate using north south east and west. I grew up where you gave directions using left, right and landmarks. But I still live in that area, and don't really travel, at least never alone, so It's not something I feel I need to learn.

I am only now learning to drive a stick. I have to, because we bought one and I have to know how to drive the car! My husband primarily uses it but there are times that he needs my main vehicle (van) so unless I want to be stuck at home or walk to work I gotta figure it out.

I also have ZERO concept of time when it comes to events that happened. I am never late (often early) and can stick to a schedule, but if you ask me when such and such happened, I'll say a month ago when it happened a year ago or say a month ago when it was last week. This last one is more of a recent issue though (last few years), I think from stress and not really being "in the moment" if it's not important.