Question of the Day - Wednesday, November 13th

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I was recently reading a Bored Panda article about life skills you never learned. I had to agree with a lot of the ones mentioned -

30 Adults Share Basic Life Skills That They Failed To Learn

I'll start off with an easy one - I never learned how to swim. What's a life skill you never learned?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I am geographically-challenged. I cannot find my way out of a wet paper bag.

And Hannah, my nav system in my car, is no help at all. We were in Pittsburgh looking for the Penzey store. We had put the store's address in the nav system. We got halfway across a bridge and she said, "You have arrived at your destination." Huh? Seriously? On a bridge? Evidently, "she" is as geographically-challenged as I am!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am geographically-challenged. I cannot find my way out of a wet paper bag.

And Hannah, my nav system in my car, is no help at all. We were in Pittsburgh looking for the Penzey store. We had put the store's address in the nav system. We got halfway across a bridge and she said, "You have arrived at your destination." Huh? Seriously? On a bridge? Evidently, "she" is as geographically-challenged as I am!
Same here. I'm so bad it's embarrassing. :paperbag:

Which one do you use?? I use Waze which seems to understand that I am challenged. :lol:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom grew up with a maid. So she never learned how to clean. So I never learned how to clean. I mean, I can get a room clean. But I know I'm not doing it in the best or most efficient way. I feel like I'm just fumbling around. Even if I watch Youtube videos. I am not one of those people who has a perfect house and makes it look easy, that's for sure!

Cooking is about the same but I think I'm a little better at cooking than cleaning. At least there are recipes I can follow, lol.

And we never ate meat that needed cutting (steak, whole chicken breast, etc.) when I was a kid. So I'm told I look very awkward when cutting meat now. Eh, as long as it gets a decent-sized piece into my mouth, I guess it doesn't really matter what it looks like.

From the article----doesn't everyone clasp their bra in the front and then slide it around? Heh, I guess I've never seen other women getting dressed. But I thought that was the standard way to do it. And nobody can say "rural" without sounding like Scooby-Doo ;).

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't drive a stick. I might get us moving in first gear; but after that its always been a disaster.
From the article----doesn't everyone clasp their bra in the front and then slide it around? Heh, I guess I've never seen other women getting dressed. But I thought that was the standard way to do it.
That's how my mama taught me and I've never seen a reason to try any other way. :dunno: :lol:

I used to be terrible with a knife. My Mom and Step-dad used to tease me that I better never order steak on a date or my date would have to cut it for me. I'm proud to say that I happen to handle my steaks just fine these days. They are also a good bit more tender than what I ate growing up. So there's that. ;) Whole roasts are more tricky. And bread. Forget even slices. :lol2:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From the article----doesn't everyone clasp their bra in the front and then slide it around? Heh, I guess I've never seen other women getting dressed. But I thought that was the standard way to do it. And nobody can say "rural" without sounding like Scooby-Doo ;).
No. I don't do that. I reach behind myself and clasp it that way.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know how to email until I was eighteen. I also had no idea it was something everyone knew about and used. My ex, needless to say, was quite confused when I offered to show him how to email lol
Outside of work (and I'm fairly proficient in Outlook now), I don't think I've ever sent an email.
I can't drive a stick.
Forgot about that. Neither can I. My dad always said he'd teach me in my grandpa's truck some time when my grandpa was on vacation (he had too much of a temper for anyone else to touch his truck when he was around), but it never happened and I don't know anyone else who has one I could learn on.
Amazing! I don't think I'm physically capable of that.

*just tried. Ow, ow, nope*

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't drive stick shift, I tried and bumped into another car who got too close to my bumper so that ended that.

This thread is making me realize my parents were pretty good at giving us a well rounded education/upbringing. We had a neighbor move in recently and I had to teach her how to dig a hole and rake her lawn.

Anyone who can't swim, I would encourage you to take some basic lessons to at least get to the can float or wont drown if you fall in and can get out stage. Same with any kids in your household that can't swim. I used to sell swim lessons and drowning is a big problem that a few lessons can mitigate. I know it feels funny going to swim lessons as an adult but we had ten adults every week in our classes learning to swim all year long. It's nothing to be embarrassed about and a basic safety thing.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Outside of work (and I'm fairly proficient in Outlook now), I don't think I've ever sent an email.
That doesn't really surprise me considering everyone you care about probably has a phone and you can just text/call them or connect over Instagram, snapchap and all those other ways of communication nowadays. I don't even email people I know anymore unless I have to send them something. Back then email was all I had, though, so I thought it was the coolest thing ever lol

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
One thing I've never been able to grasp is Daylight Savings Time. My spouse has to tell me twice a year, every year, whether we're moving the clocks forward or back. It's the dumbest thing, but the concept just doesn't compute or stick in my head. But California may be opting out of it starting next year and maybe I won't have to think about it any more! :jive:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back then email was all I had, though, so I thought it was the coolest thing ever lol
Even when email was a Thing, I never got into it. I figured I'd call someone if I wanted to talk, and mail them something if they needed it. I also thought texting was stupid (well, when you had to hit a number 4 times to get to every letter, it was kind of dumb!). But of course now I haven't called anyone in months and text people several times a day :D.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Even when email was a Thing, I never got into it. I figured I'd call someone if I wanted to talk, and mail them something if they needed it. I also thought texting was stupid (well, when you had to hit a number 4 times to get to every letter, it was kind of dumb!). But of course now I haven't called anyone in months and text people several times a day :D.
Texting is fun lol I hate talking on the phone.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing I've never been able to grasp is Daylight Savings Time. My spouse has to tell me twice a year, every year, whether we're moving the clocks forward or back. It's the dumbest thing, but the concept just doesn't compute or stick in my head. But California may be opting out of it starting next year and maybe I won't have to think about it any more! :jive:
The mnemonic is "Spring forward, fall back," and I still have to use it twice a year when the time changes.

I can swim, but I've never been able to learn a crawl, just sidestroke, backstroke, and treading water. And I can't dive.

Margret

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm 26 and just started learning to drive in May, so I can relate. Are you planning on eventually learning?
I'd love to, but finances prevent me right now. And I'm not sure I'd be allowed to anyway (I have multiple chronic illnesses and some of my medications may mean I'm banned from driving).
I do it that way too (not that I wear a bra unless I have no choice). Very easy for me, but I am hypermobile! ;)

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd love to, but finances prevent me right now. And I'm not sure I'd be allowed to anyway (I have multiple chronic illnesses and some of my medications may mean I'm banned from driving).
Ah okay. That sucks, but if all the complications health and medication-wise don't prevent you from driving, maybe someone you know could take the time to give you some lessons so you don't have to spend money on classes. My mom is teaching me.