QUESTION OF THE DAY, WEDNESDAY, MAY 5, 2021

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whole milk love it, coffee made with milk or just a glass of cold milk, yum. And gold top for a treat mmmmm. My husband hates milk unless it's in his coffee and not much he should just drink it black he puts so little in.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have kids and a MIL with osteoperosis; so milk and calcium are important here. I get a gallon of 2% for the kids every week. We often need another half gallon to get through a week. DH prefers skim milk and I'll get him a half gallon. The kids drink 2 cups of milk before they are allowed any juice drinks. Last year DS had fallen off his growth chart in weight; so I definitely stick to the higher fat milks and yogurts for them. They don't really like whole milk though. Or skim; so 2% it is!

I will drink milk occasionally. If I get any heartburn I try to drink 6-8oz of nice cold milk. That's often enough to counter any heartburn but I have noticed 2% does a better job. Sometimes I justs get a craving for it so I'll drink it more often. I think that's my body's way of saying it needs something thats in milk. If I'm drinking it; I like it nice and cold and I drink it quickly. My Gram was a fan of warm milk at bedtime. I never aquired the taste. Buttermilk is a nice treat though. I buy half and half for my coffee also. It's easier to control how much I use vs using creamer. I get as much cream and then as much flavor as I want.

We've tried milk alternatives for ourselves and just did not liked them. One was good but I didn't agree with me. I do keep powdered milk on hand for emergencies but it's only good to drink if you add chocolate syrup! :lol: I have a waffle recipe from MIL that requires it; but we rarely make them. I've used it to bake before and that's been fine.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't like milk iny cereal. It's not a big thing where I'm from and it really hurts my teeth 😣 (they're very sensitive to cold stuff).
I do drink just a class of cold milk with dinner every week day, strawberry milk on the weekends. And chocolate milk with my lunch. I try to go as low cal as I can, but not quite sure how it translates well.
I oddly enough don't like hot beverage, none at all. So warm milk or hot coco isn't my thing.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy whole milk in half gallons, and drink a half glass of it at bedtime with a couple of cookies. I use dry creamer for my coffee. Can't stand those reduced-fat milks. Did you know there is only two tablespoons of fat in a gallon of milk? That's very little fat for a glass of milk. I don't understand the logic behind low-fat milk when we use cupfuls of butter in cakes and cookies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like all kinds of milk. I don't really bother with Skim or 1%, it seems like they would be too thin? I don't remember if I like powdered milk, I will have to try it again. It's probably fine.

I like whole milk, 2% milk, lactose free milk, almond milk, oat milk, soy milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, goat milk in my cappuccino. Most of those come in 32 ounces, but some come in 64oz.

I would put any of these on my cereal.

I never drink milk plain, just half a mug in my cappuccinos. I take a calcium pill.

Next I will be trying hemp milk, rice milk, macadamia milk. I like the sweetened alternative milks best, but unsweetened is okay.

I really like pea milk, but it is only made by this one brand Ripple and I can't find it anywhere.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We love milk.
I buy fat free for drinking and for cereal.
I've been drinking that since I was very young and got my husband quite used to it.
I buy whole milk if I need it for cooking/baking purposes. Fat free, to me, really is not a good substitute in those instances.
And regular half and half is our preference for coffee but we're fine with the non fat there too.
I always buy a gallon for the week and frequently use it up before then (my husband is the culprit if that happens, he drinks way more than I do). A quart of half and half could easily last us 2 weeks or more.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use 2 percent in my coffee and almond milk in my daily smoothie. Even as a kid I wouldn't drink milk. I have been on calcium supplements as long as I can remember.
The milk from the Fresian cow, the most popular in dairy farms because of its high milk output has a calcium molecule that is to big and clunky for the human body to absord where the Guernsey and Jersery cow we can absorb the calcium.
We can buy milk here that is purely from these breeds.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I like milk products in theory, although I don't use them because I am vegan. It is not just an animal issue as I need to avoid dairy because of its hormonal content, including organic products. Being lactose intolerant makes that part easy as the worst reactions I have to dairy is to milk including the time I tried goats' milk and A2.

I only use oatmilk; one cup a day. It has to be Oatley because they are certified glyphosate (RoundUp) free. Technically, it is not allowed in organic foods, but it becomes a slippery slope.

My husband drinks almond milk although he is not even close to vegan.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We get 1% milk, and buy it in 4L bags (Canadian).
My husband is the heavy milk drinker, but I do enjoy a glass every once in a while. We'll have it plain, chocolate or strawberry. My husband has more cereal than I do, but again, I sometimes crave a bowl and will indulge.
I don't get any other kinds of milk other than the half and half (10%) cream for our coffee. Although, when the 2% chocolate milk is on sale I'll sometimes get some as a treat....chocolate syrup is nice, but the pre made stuff is better...and easier! We will also have hot chocolate sometimes and I much prefer hot chocolate with milk and not just boiled water.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The milk from the Fresian cow, the most popular in dairy farms because of its high milk output has a calcium molecule that is to big and clunky for the human body to absord where the Guernsey and Jersery cow we can absorb the calcium.
We can buy milk here that is purely from these breeds.
We had Holsteins, and I guess that by today's standards, they would be considered organic, as we raised their feed ourselves, and growth hormones hadn't been invented yet, and the only antibiotics they ever got were for the occasional case of mastitis. By the way, we never referred to them as Friesians, but simply Holsteins..

Last edited:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a milk drinker and never have been.I'll cook with it and I'm fine with that....hubby is the milk drinker in the family...but we buy skim.For my coffee,I use liquid creamer....hazelnut.I'm not an ice cream fan either.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Soy milk in tea and coffee. That's about the only time I use it. I have to buy a tiny carton of full fat cow's milk every week, as The Mu takes her glucosamine supplement mixed with a teaspoon of milk every evening. I know cow's milk isn't good for cats, but it's only a very small amount and my old Mu girl needs help with her arthritis.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I use 2%milk in my cereal and sometimes in my coffee, if I run out of flavored creamer. Otherwise, I am not crazy over it. I would never drink a glass of milk no matter what. Instead, If I want to consume dairy I would go for Kefir and Yougert. You can get your calcium AND probiotics from both these products. I think you get more from these products than milk imo.🙂

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use 2%milk in my cereal and sometimes in my coffee, if I run out of flavored creamer. Otherwise, I am not crazy over it. I would never drink a glass of milk no matter what. Instead, If I want to consume dairy I would go for Kefir and Yougert. You can get your calcium AND probiotics from both these products. I think you get more from these products than milk imo.🙂
What is Kefir?

I never liked milk. I could not drink a glass of it if someone put a gun to my head. I'll use soy milk but I could not drink a glass of that either.