QUESTION OF THE DAY, WEDNESDAY, MAY 5, 2021

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm out of milk and have to go to the grocery store to pick some up so for today's question I was curious -
DO YOU DRINK MILK WHETHER IN YOUR CEREAL, A HOT BEVERAGE, OR IN A GLASS BY ITSELF.?
WHAT TYPE OF MILK DO YOU DRINK - WHOLE, 2%, SKIM (NON-FAT), LACTOSE FREE, ALMOND, COCONUT, OAT, RICE, ETC.?
WHAT SIZE CONTAINER DO YOU BUY IT IN?

When I was growing up we drank whole milk, then as a young adult I switched to 2%, then in middle age I started drinking almond milk and still do. I use it in my cereal or oatmeal or by itself. I buy it in a half-gallon size. I'm picky about the type of almond milk I buy and like one particular brand best. So how about you, what's your taste and preference?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate the taste of milk, always have. I only drink chocolate milk in 2% if I have to. Thank goodness I eat a lot of cheese and yogurt. I also drink real cream in my coffee. My husband absolutely loves milk, has several glasses a day, skim. Almond milk and others is NOT a milk product and I don't know how they can call it that. Milk is a nutrient-rich liquid food produced by mammals for their young.

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer whole milk but when Himself had to have low fat milk for health reasons (cholesterol) I got him 1% milk. Keeping two containers - whole milk and 1% - was a nuisance so I am now using 1% myself.

Milk is used in my coffee, to make oatmeal, pancakes, white sauce, yogurt, etc.

I also keep some powdered milk in refrigerator or freezer as part of my preps for the covid 19 disaster, to be mixed as needed if I ran out of liquid milk.

Silver Crazy Silver Crazy your cream on top milk has not been homogenized. It is not that it contains something that has been removed from "regular" milk. Here in the USA milk tends to be ultra-pasturized, which gives it a longer shelf life and an unpleasant taste, in my opinion.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Growing up we always had whole milk, then changed to 2% and eventually 1%.

These days I rarely have dairy milk in the house. Just occasionally if I need it to bake something that calls for milk, and then I'll end up treating myself and using some of it to make scalloped potatoes.

For breakfast, I usually have dry cereal, and I use a vanilla soymilk, which is just sweet enough, that I don't feel the need to add sugar.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember the 'good old days' when that cream came on top of milk. It was SO good on oatmeal and fruit! Oh, I remember it on hot ginger bread right out of the oven too!
I remember there was a silver seal at the top and when you pealed it off there was the cream. It always grossed me out.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've run the gamut of milks over the years. I grew up mostly drinking 1% or 2%, always in cereal and a glass with dinner, switched to skim when I got more weight conscious, but stopped drinking it every day, and instead added it to coffee and sometimes cereal (I'm a weirdo who likes some cereals dry). But my husband liked 2%, and I got tired of buying both kinds like C catapault said, so switched to that with a small 12oz container of whole milk whenever I'd need it for a recipe. (I've used both leftover whole milk and heavy whipping cream in coffee, I don't like to waste).

Right now it's whatever plant based milk is on sale (minus soy milk), mostly almond and oat, with a vanilla oatmilk in my fridge currently for coffee, sometimes cereal, and the occasional glass with a pb&j.

J says the best milk is mommy's milk and it's so good it's the only thing she eats and drinks. ;)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Almond milk and others is NOT a milk product and I don't know how they can call it that. Milk is a nutrient-rich liquid food produced by mammals for their young
That's a contentious legal issue they've been arguing for ages. I believe the current compromise the FDA is using now is that plant milks have to clearly say "soy milk" or "almond milk" or whatever, they can't just say "milk" in large letters and then say somewhere else in tiny letters that it's made from almonds. There is some precedence for calling plant substances "milk" though; the white stuff that comes from dandelions is also called milk. So I think that factored into their decision.

I don't eat cereal or drink plain milk, usually, so I don't buy regular milk. I do make yogurt myself, and use Fairlife whole milk for that (because it's ultrapasteurized, it doesn't need to be boiled first, and it comes out thicker). I buy half & half for my coffee (quart container from Sam's Club), so if I need milk for dipping cookies in or something, I'll water down some half & half and use that. I do NOT like skim/lowfat milk; it just tastes like chalky water. I sometimes buy almond milk, but since I don't drink plain milk regularly, it can be hard to use it up before it goes bad.

I grew up overseas on powdered milk and "filled milk" (I gather this is powdered milk reconstituted with added oil? Anyway it was gross but we didn't know any better), UHT milk (the kind in an aseptic box) was a rare treat. I know there are some decent powdered milks now but I still don't want to use them, bad memories, lol.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up on skim and 1%, and never really liked it much. Once I had whole milk I couldn't drink anything else, it just tastes disgusting. I use it on cereal, for making pudding and smoothies, and just to drink with chocolate or strawberry syrup added.

I occasionally get almond milk, but I can't stand the unsweetened kind. I usually get the chocolate.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I am not a milk fan. I will have it on cereal, esp my oatmeal. Every once in a very long while, I'll have a small glass of milk if there's chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting in the house. But I always, always do a quick sniff test before I drink it.

Rick loves milk. He loves to pour it over cake and pie. He loves to dunk cookies in it. I used to think that my baked goods were too dry and he just didn't want to tell me. But no, he just loves milk. He always did the same thing at his parents' house, too. And my parents' place. One time we were at our son's house for dinner and she had made a cake. Out came the milk. She was kind of offended bc she thought he was telling her that her cake was dry. We had to explain that, nope, this is the way he eats pretty much all desserts. Even after having ice cream, he'll pour milk into the bowl and drink it.

We always had whole milk. Many, many moons ago, I got my guys switched over to skim, but it took forever. Months.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't really drink milk (never really did). I like whole milk for baking, but buy infrequently. In daily use, my current diet usually calls for breakfast shakes that start 1/2 c coconut milk + 1/2 c almond milk (there's a few variations, but that's the most common base); the coconut milk is supposed to be full fat, so I buy it in cans; the almond milk comes in half gallon cartons

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Winchester Winchester I'm with Rick. I love milk. When I was a kid it was the reconstituted dry skim milk. No offense if anyone likes that stuff but IMO it is horrid and I'd ban it if I could. Skim milk in general is vile and an insult to the cow. I drink whole milk only and will not stray from that ever. I don't drink it every day. I normally get the Fairlife milk or something similar due to the fact that it's ultra-pasteurized and lasts longer since I'm the only one here. I also sniff it every time I open it. :lol:

I use half and half in my coffee. Nothing else will do.