Question of the Day, Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We've all had "those moments," you know, the ones where you look around, hoping no one saw you. Tell me ONE THING that would be on the gag reel of your life! Or two, or three!

Two instances, both sent me to the ER. In the first, I was getting ready to get into the front passenger seat of our car when I stopped to talk to someone. I had one foot actually in, and was sort-of hanging over the door. JUST as I started to get all the way in, my ex sat down (all 6'6", 268 pounds of him) suddenly and the car rocked! Somehow, I managed to fall backwards, partially into the car, slamming the upper edge of the door into my throat! I had to do some fast talking at the ER...they were convinced that I'd been choked! In the second, I was out walking our German Shepherd. She was leashed. We were running down a slight incline when she suddenly stopped dead in her tracks. I tripped over her and went airborne, and didn't land till I ran out of leash! I crushed the knuckle nearest my palm of my right index finger. BACK to the ER, where they now knew me by name. "Well, what did you do now?"

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I fell out of a moving car as I as sleeping...I was in passenger seat, door was not latched,, slow rate
of speed, no major injuries but a lot of people came running, my bf at the time told them I had fallen
on my own but they looked like they suspiciously doubted him

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The very day I got my motorbike license I rode down through the main street to show off and visit my vehicle freedom deprived friends at the place we normally hung out. I stopped at the pedestrian crossing lights right in front of the railway station and put my foot down in a pool of oil.
The bike and I quite gracefully laid down in the middle of the road.
I looked around hoping no one noticed but 2 or 300 people did...damn :paperbag:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I once got my thumb stuck in the handle of a coffee cup when I was at a restaurant with friends. It took ice water and salad oil to get it out. Luckily only people at the neighboring table witnessed what happened. The next time we went to the restaurant they'd replaced their fancy new cups with plain stoneware mugs, so I suspect I wasn't the only one who had trouble despite having M size hands.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I once got my thumb stuck in the handle of a coffee cup when I was at a restaurant with friends. It took ice water and salad oil to get it out. Luckily only people at the neighboring table witnessed what happened. The next time we went to the restaurant they'd replaced their fancy new cups with plain stoneware mugs, so I suspect I wasn't the only one who had trouble despite having M size hands.
I collect bone china tea cup sets but I cannot fit my thumb through most of the handles...what are they thinking??

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was five, I received a black eye in a weird way. My younger brother started making a lot of noise in the kitchen, so I went to see what he was doing. I entered the kitchen at the exact moment he threw a wooden spoon. It connected with my eye, of course.

Dad took me to the hospital, because I was crying and had a bad headache from it. I have to wonder what was going through the minds of the staff-my story must've sounded strange to them, and I'm sure at least one person thought my parents did it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never put my thumb through the handle of a coffee or tea cup. I use my index finger Like this

1590574485155.png

I'm a natural klutz. Walking into doors, tripping over stuff. Things like that. I don't care who sees at this point. I figure I might give them a chuckle and they will quickly forget all about it and me. :lol:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lots of 'those moments". I'm just naturally clumsy. The most recent just a few months ago. On my way to a doctors appointment and decided to take a short cut and step over a 15" wall. Unbeknown to me, the level was lower than the side I was on. Fell forward and bounced flat on the rough floor. Glasses flew off ( as they do) and as I looked around using some not very ladylike language a young man came running up and asked me if I was ok. I asked him if I had fallen gracefully, he told me I did it very graceful, told him in that case I was fine, walked around the corner out of sight and burst out crying. Went to my doctors appointment with blood on my face and hands.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was gingerly walking across the street on a sheet of ice from where I had parked to get to work, and was thinking it wasn't so bad when I slipped and fell right on my backside with a hard thump. Looked around to see if anyone had seen, and noticed about twenty cars lined up, waiting for me to cross, how embarrassing!
Another time, and don't ask me how I did it, I was getting into the car and somehow managed to shut the door on my face! Right on the bridge of my nose resulting in TWO black eyes! Needless to say my husband refused to go anywhere with me for a month because of all the angry looks and whispers he said people were giving him.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, I have those moments every day. Why do you think I live way up here in the mountains where no one can see me?

:lol:

A few years ago I had to meet a lady for a job interview. It was all very casual, I was pretty much guaranteed to get the job because I was taking over from a good friend of mine who was leaving the country. It was really just a case of meeting the lady and finalizing things, but I wanted to make a good impression all the same.

Just as I was about to leave home one of my cats got out so I spent a very fraught 15 minutes trying to coax her back in. I got to the cafe I had arranged to meet my new employer in a few minutes late and, in my hurry to get inside as quickly as possible, I walked straight into a huge glass door. The door had never been closed on any of the other occasions I'd been to that cafe and it was a huge door, more like a sliding wall. I'm sure I can't have been the only person who walked into it.

Luckily the lady I'd arranged to meet was even later than I was, so she didn't see what I'd done. The next time I went to that cafe they'd stuck decals all over the glass so it was easier to see.

The door wasn't damaged, I wasn't too badly hurt and I got the job. It was still pretty embarrassing though.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dad had one of those moments. He fell down the breezeway stairs, somehow turned, opened the front door, and fell out it. I never saw anything like it in my whole entire life. I was laughing so hard, I couldn't check if he was okay. He's still alive though. :lol:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've had many of those moments, one of which happened a few weeks ago. I was grocery shopping in the baking aisle. Long story short, I wasn't paying attention and pushed my cart into a large display of muffin pans. The whole display came tumbling down. People stood there watching but no one offered to help. Fortunately DH was with me and we managed to put the display back up only to have it collapse again. :doh:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I hit myself in the face with a hammer. I was on a step ladder using the claw part of the hammer to pull out a stubborn nail when all of the sudden it let go and the hammer flew forward into my face. Fortunately the hammer hit my glasses right at the center, breaking them rather than my nose. Other that a little bruising on one cheek I was fine.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hit myself in the face with a hammer. I was on a step ladder using the claw part of the hammer to pull out a stubborn nail when all of the sudden it let go and the hammer flew forward into my face. Fortunately the hammer hit my glasses right at the center, breaking them rather than my nose. Other that a little bruising on one cheek I was fine.
I could easily see me doing that too. My favorite one of mine is also a helpful hint. Never use a weedwacker while wearing sandals. I did that and nailed my big toe. I got a nice cut on it. I had to hobble back into the house and rinse all the dirt off in the tub before bandaging it. I told DD who was a teenager at the time and she just rolled her eyes at me and asked, "WHO does that?" Apparently I do. :lol:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've walked into door frames, Tripped over curbs, and got a paper cut in my eye moving a bed upstairs. That one was embarrassing and I ended up in ER telling them as they looked at me and asked HOW. It was a new bed and still had the paper to protect the corners on. As I pulled it up the stairs the I ripped the paper and whacked myself in the eye with it.:doh:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My greatest on the hit parade also entailed a trip to the ER. I was at work, removing a 1,000 lb.-plus hydraulic cylinder from a crane-mounted shear. I was using a steel shaft, about 3ft long and 3in in diameter, to drive the large pin that secured the fixed end to the shear body. I stopped to check my progress, and partially withdrew the shaft. The bearing on the cylinder could swivel slightly to maintain alignment, and I had driven the pin sufficiently far that it allowed the cylinder to suddenly drop, which forced the shaft up. The next thing I remember was floating through the air and wondering why. I landed about 10 ft or so from where I had been standing, and came up with a numb jaw. When I touched it, my hand came away bloody. That incident cost me 30-some stitches and 2 teeth. There was only one other worker there when it happened, and even he didn't see it all. Still, I was back at work the next day.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have told this story here before but I have also nailed a finger to a chair I was reupholstering. I was using a magnetic tack hammer which holds the tack in place, leaving your hands free to hold the fabric taut. But I swung and missed my mark, sending the tack thru the side of my thumb and into the chair. Tacks aren’t that long so getting it off of the chair was easy but a plier was needed to pull it back out of my thumb. I did it but then I had to lay on the floor until I no longer felt faint.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In college, my friend and I were walking on a fairly narrow sidewalk and I said (complete with a southern drawl) "This sidewalk ain't big enough for the two of us," then seconds later, I slipped on some ice and nearly fell.

When I was maybe 12 or so, I went outside on the deck but didn't shut the screen door. My parents came out soon after me but did shut the screen. I didn't realize this, so when I went running back into the house I hit the screen and bounced back. I'm surprised I didn't just bust through considering my parents' dog has done that many times.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a couple of serious falls. The first happened at work walking up the driveway to the parking lot, which was lined in oak trees. I stepped in an acorn, which rolled, and I went down smack! like a tree. I didn't even have time to put out my hands to stop the fall. Several people saw this and came over, but I was unhurt.

The second time was at night, and I was walking my dog. He wanted to go over into a park, and I followed. Two steps in, I stepped in a rabbit hole and went down. This time, I put my hands down, and the pain was tremendous. I writhed on the ground until I wasn't dizzy. Going home, I nearly passed out. When I finally got medical help, it turned out that one arm was broken.