QUESTION OF THE DAY, WEDNESDAY, MAY 19, 2021

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Several months ago there was a debate going on whether to part your hair in the middle or on the side. Which way made you look older, made your face look longer, made your hair look thinner, etc. Here's what the pros have to say:

The Best Way to Find Your Part
If it moves in a clockwise circle, part your hair on the left. If it's counterclockwise, you should part on the right. Another tip: Parting the hair lower on the head is a good way to create a square shape to your haircut, and it looks good on everyone.

So for today's Question of the Day, how do you part your hair? For anyone who doesn't wear a part or is bald, how did you part it when you were younger?

When I was younger I always parted my hair in the middle but sometime during my adult years I switched to a side part. Now I flip-flop, i.e. some days I part it on the side and others I part it in the middle. How about you?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hair chooses where it wants to part
Ha, mine too. I kind of fluff it and it goes where it wants. Usually when it's shorter it either falls forward or parts slightly from the right, but when it's longer it seems to part itself in the middle.

I read somewhere that parting on the right is considered feminine and parting on the left is considered masculine but I don't know how that got socially ingrained.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up I always parted in the middle, but experimented more with side parts as I got older. It feels weird parted on my right, but good parted on the left. These days I mostly middle part and braid to keep it back, but I prefer the look of a side part on myself, so if I'm actually doing my hair nice or wearing it down, I'll part left.

J's hair sort of naturally parts in the middle.
0519210951.jpg

This is awesome to me because I know how annoying my bangs were to grow out, so I thought I'd just skip the bangs stage with her and grow it all out as a baby, but I'll have to do a lot less clipping things back this way.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere that parting on the right is considered feminine and parting on the left is considered masculine but I don't know how that got socially ingrained.
When I was much younger, hairdressers in England never had anything good to say about my hair - too much of it, too thin, less on one side of my head, too long to do anything with. But one thing they were all sure about - a parting on the right! Probably as W Willowy says, a socially accepted tradition.
Now I am older and hairdressers in Germany are much kinder (Perhaps it's easier to be nice to an ugly old lady than to a younger girl - maybe, I gave the impression, I was a brat!). I am now always asked where do you want your parting and I say "Just let it fall where it wants to!" Usually I come out of the hairdressers with no parting at all. But, as susanm9006 susanm9006 and W Willowy say, when I wash my hair myself, it goes where it wants to, and usually in the middle!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My hair does not keep a part, no matter where it is..
My hairdresser always want to part it on the right; but I have so many cow licks, it is really impossible to manage.. right now, I am parting it on the left.. It seems to stay a bit bette. I think I have more hair on the left?? or is it vice versa??? Who knows..

All I know is that it grows straight down, in front of my face.. parting is horrible.. It is short.. so easier to take care of. I look better with a side part and bangs..

When I was in high school, I had long strait hair, parted on the side.. right side.. I look better with bangs.. wispy bangs.. for a softer look...

AmandaRox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I was growing up, I'd force my hair to part on the right because I would like my right side of my face better. Eventually I switch to the left. Idk why. I have cowlicks on both corners, but it parts naturally in the middle- I think. For the past 5 years, I've worn my hair up, because it's thinning and balding. No part now.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I was much younger, hairdressers in England never had anything good to say about my hair - too much of it, too thin, less on one side of my head, too long to do anything with. But one thing they were all sure about - a parting on the right! Probably as W Willowy says, a socially accepted tradition.
Now I am older and hairdressers in Germany are much kinder (Perhaps it's easier to be nice to an ugly old lady than to a younger girl - maybe, I gave the impression, I was a brat!). I am now always asked where do you want your parting and I say "Just let it fall where it wants to!" Usually I come out of the hairdressers with no parting at all. But, as susanm9006 susanm9006 and W Willowy say, when I wash my hair myself, it goes where it wants to, and usually in the middle!
gilmargl gilmargl there is no ugly in old. 🌺 :silver: 💘

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have never parted my hair. I have a lot of it (thankfully) and even though it has silver streaks now instead of gold streaks I just have always combed it back and let it fall where it may. Usually it stays that way unless I am dancing. It is very long so I often keep it tied back if I am doing a lot of physical labor.🌺:silver:🌻

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I almost always have a middle part. I did part from the right for a while but I seem to find my way back to the middle. My hair stylist always tries to do something different with it but within 20 minutes of leaving the salon I'm running my hand through it to let it part in the center. It just feels weird any other way sometimes.