Question of the Day, Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I came to your house to visit for the afternoon, what is the first thing I would notice that says a lot about who you are?

In my house, books, books, and more books. I live in a two-bedroom apartment that is just under 900 square feet, and there are THIRTEEN BOOKCASES, each of them about half-full, with more books coming in about weekly. I read. I read a LOT. I sometimes read two or three books at a time. You will not catch me leaving my house, even to go to the store, without a paperback tucked into my purse (what if I have to wait for my ride to get there?). And if you wanted to choose a book and just sit and read with me, that would be fine, as well! My dearest friends have been those I could do that with!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Music. Yes, I have a lot of books as well, many of them still in boxes because I don't have as many bookcases as I did the last place I lived. About half of the bookcases I do have are filled with piano, organ, and song books. Oh, and the 6'2" grand piano in the corner might get your attention as well.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Music and books here, too. Hubby has a piano and several guitars. Although I mainly read e-books and got rid of masses of books years ago, we still have full bookcases in just about every room.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got books stacked on my coffee table. There are also several boxes of them in my closet. I just don't have room for all of them on my bookcase :read:

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The organized chaos? Let's just say I'm not one who believes in "a place for everything and everything in its place" More of a "if it fits, it sits" type. My mostly black and denim wardrobe also very starkly contrasts my overall "cute pink/lime/wood" decor.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
You would see 2 bookcases filled to the brim, an end table filled wih books as well.
I planned on doing a clean out of books I will no longer read again so I can donate
them to the library. That is on hold for the time being.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 I'm like you with the-always-having-something-to-read-with-me.
You just never know!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first thing you would notice is the cat trees- there are 4 of them in view. The second thing would be no cats in sight, as they would disappear at the sound of the doorbell. Third would be nothing fancy about the furnishings or the house itself. You wouldn't see bookcases as they are upstairs where visitors seldom go.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to read a lot in my younger days but now I have problems with my eyes and it is difficult to read books and newspapers. I can read the computer OK. I wish I could read. TV is so boring. Nothing but reruns.

If you walk in my house you will see boxes of cat food, muffins for the raccoons, salt less nuts and sunflower seeds in the corner by the deck door for my critters. That is about it. Except for my cat food all of my cat stuff is upstairs.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
As you open our front door and walk up the steps to the living room, you will see my 61-year-old piano that has seen better days. I started taking piano lessons when I was four years old. When I came home from my first day of kindergarten, there was a strange man in our living room, playing a piano. And that was my introduction to the world of piano music. I took lessons for 14 years (even after I got married because my parents insisted). You would also know that we dearly love our kids. Our kids don't run and and hide when people visit. They love to be out and about, flopping on laps, sniffing people and getting to know them. They're actually pretty friendly.

If you walk into my she-shed, you will see Ikea bookshelves filled with knickknacks and some of my book collection. You would learn that I love techno-thrillers as well as murder mysteries, cozy mysteries, cooking and baking. And that I dearly love Agent Pendergast.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
That I'm a Wyze Labs addict. (Wyze makes very inexpensive yet superb cams btw. Can find on Chewy. com), although Chewy is selling double the price then what you spend on the Wyze website

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have lots of knickknacks, mostly given to me as gifts. So I don't have the heart to get rid of them -- especially if there's a pretty decent chance some generous soul might just happen to drop by and expect their present to be prominently displayed somewhere. :wink:

The funny thing is that, if it's a knickknack that I bought myself, I have no problem getting rid of it when I'm tired of it. But the ones that people give me usually have a sweet story behind them, which makes it hard for me to let go. Ironically, that inability to let go just seems to encourage people to give me more stuff. "Oh, I see Cheeser collects figurines and pictures of cute little animals, so I know she'll love it if I give her another one for her birthday!" :lol:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
People would notice it is somewhat minimal and airy. They usually mention the colors when they come in. I love neutrals with big splashes of color in art and my collection of vases is an attention getter.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I do have a portable ballet barre in my living room! :lol:

I also have Picasso and Dali all over my living room walls. No, not rich, they are from my parents who gave them to me (Picasso also made a lot of art, so there was a comfortable amount of his work to go around at the time, let's say. Right now they have blossomed in value) Anyhoo I also have my great grandmothers art on my walls as well. I am not a talented artist/painter myself, but I really like art history in general, and of course value my GG's paintings. Many of my books are Art History books, as well as other history books from medicine/social history to the World Wars.

There used to be tons and tons of books and bookcases too, but I have since removed them. It got too much/overwhelming and easily way too dusty (And I have a dust allergy) got rid of the bookcases to have a clean wall and replace them with a long simple cabinet with only some items and souvenirs from my travels, couple of books and TV. I donated many of the books and kept the best ones or the most precious, like all my late grandfathers books, and stored them safely in the loft.

I adore books with a passion and read constantly, but felt like I needed to unclutter! Plus, I admit I totally became smitten with my kindle.

ANYWAY *Babbles*

I guess that is about it, other then the kitty toys and floor bed area :biggrin: