Question of the Day, Wednesday, March 29, 2023

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good afternoon & another Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :clapcat: When I was doing laundry last night I got a phone call from my husband's cousin and completely forgot to take some of my more delicate clothes out of the dryer before the cycle was done. :doh: I had bought a new pair of yoga pants that I only wore once and probably shouldn't have put them in the dryer at all but unfortunately they shrunk. This is not the first time I've shrunk something in the dryer either. I've also shrunk tops and some of my favorite tee shirts especially the 100% cotton ones. How about you?

DID YOU EVER SHRINK ANYTHING IN THE DRYER? WHAT WAS IT?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I haven’t, but I remember sitting with my friend in the kitchen when her husband crept in, hung his head, and held out what looked like a child-sized sweater. My friend wailed, “My favorite wool sweater! What have you done!” Her husband had washed it and thrown it into the dryer. She was furious! :lol:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I haven’t, but I remember sitting with my friend in the kitchen when her husband crept in, hung his head, and held out what looked like a child-sized sweater. My friend wailed, “My favorite wool sweater! What have you done!” Her husband had washed it and thrown it into the dryer. She was furious! :lol:
I can sympathize with your friend. I did the same thing. I also washed and dried Rick's favorite wool cap. Til it was done, it might have fit one of the cats. Rick was not amused.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've shrunk plenty over the years. Being busty means most of my life I've air dried the majority of my tops. But sometimes it still happens when I miss something or think it won't shrink or I've had it long enough that it's ok to dry it on low.

I also shrunk one of DD's tunic sweaters that i also washed with jeans without thinking. So it was short on her arms (which are long to begin with) and it got 3 holes in it.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a point in time when Rayon fabric clothing was in fashion and it does not do well in the dryer. I know I lost a few blouses that way. Other than those, 100% cotton shrinks or gets out of shape in the dryer and I know I had to toss a few shirts because of that. Now I pretty much only buy cotton polyester blends because they don’t shrink.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I did once, but I can't remember what it was and what the material it was made of to make that happen. It was probably a sweater though.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did the SAME THING with one of my wool sweaters. It went into the dryer looking like a normal sized sweater and came out looking like it would be snug on a newborn. OOPS. :lol2:
Also, I've tossed dog or cat beds into the dryer that had a small hole in the bottom. The dryer stops, I open the door, and a sea of stuffing pops out and covers the floor and my feet. Double oops!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I know,no ,I haven't yet!I kinda pay attention when I'm looking at buying something.If I can't wash it and throw it in the dryer,I don't buy it.Of course,there's always a first time...lol.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Now I pretty much only buy cotton polyester blends because they don’t shrink.
I try to do that too now but if it's a good sale on 100% cotton sometimes I can't resist. :biggrin:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shrink my knitted bedspread most times I wash it now (which are seldom, lol) because I don’t have a clothesline big enough to hang it on. It needs to be hung sideways if it’s to regain its width. Not a big issue, though. Even shrunk (or contracted?) it’s still wide enough to almost cover the bed, and between a corduroy-and-fluffy blanket and Daisy’s 5kg hot water bottle self, I rare want to have the bedspread over me at night even in winter! 🥵

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've done my share of shrinking clothing items in a dryer. If I know that the clothing item is 100% cotton, I now will hand it up for air drying. I often purchase shirts one size up if they are 100% cotton or above 50% cotton.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My coworkers pants :lol:

I was a summer student working as an historical interpreter at a military blockhouse. Depending on the day I was both a 1840's soldier or camp military wife, same goes with my coworker who was a fellow girl - Albeit I was an infantry soldier and she worked the canons, so different uniforms and thus fabric type. Anyhoo, alongside washing my stuff and hers, I naively thought it would be nice to include her trousers in the dryer. 'Lo and behold they shrunk.

She wasn't too thrilled with me at first...but thankfully she was a good sport eventually and understood I was trying to be helpful since we had so much to do during that particular week and were in a time crunch with getting stuff ready. I was of course quite remorseful about the whole ordeal in any case.

(The pants ended up being stretched back to normal just fine after some elbow grease)